• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Adapt Clutch, any good?

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Vern- I do find out that they ( adapt) are zingy-
As far as the residue you have on your adapt- there is quite a bit of protective coating on the clutch sheaves- I know in your post that you scotch cleaned the sheaves.
I follow up with brake cleaner and let it atomize to a nice dry face. It's possible you didn't get it all of and when things got hot, it flung what was missed on the clutch guard and belly pan as described.
I have not had any issues with clients that switched to the adapt prior to a good scrub down..

The BMP snypr weights are tough to tune at 9,000 +it doesn't like the lower magnets at our nose bleed elevations
Yeah, that’s what I’m hoping is I just didn’t quite get the sheaves cleaned good enough. I Re scrubbed them and then wiped them down with rubbing alcohol real good(didn’t have brake clean on hand) so we’ll see on the next ride how it behaves.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Sage how are you running weight in the bmp weights? I'm gonna run them since I don't feel like grinding 4g off the stock 61s. I'm riding at 11k ft.
If you want run stock weights they ( cat ) makes them in 58's-56's-54's-52's

I ride at the same elevation as you

In regards to the bmp- keep in mind that I am running their bmp Y & single but no flash.

So far they the snypr weights for the adapt, seem to make the sled pull way hard that I like, and the bottom end is really torquey now, and top end is quick makes the sled more "zingy' to ride.
Placement is 2 small in the tip with one medium giving me overall 58gm -still working on mid range to get it really dialed up

I sent you a message-didn't want to write a novel here.. LOL

Last edited:

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Does the mountain max have the same clutch? Bought it to have something to ride waiting on boost and it only pulls 7800 at 9300 feet. Don't know what's even in It.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I think he meant to say 2022 instead of 2020. The early build cat 2022s have the old Team primary. I don't know if there were any early build Yamahas so you probably got the new primary anyway. I thought some guys on Cats noticed a few RPM increase as it got a little further through break-in so it might pick up a bit. Yamaha says "new lightweight primary..." on their website so I bet it's the new cat clutch.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I figured but looks different and i haven't seen an adapt clutch. Needs 2 grams out for our elevation. Dealer said weights are backordered. I'll either grind them or buy a clutch kit i guess

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
What are you guys finding regarding clutch spring tensions? Is the 85/255 about right or are you trying other options? Is the engagement speed too low with the 85 spring rate?

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
What are you guys finding regarding clutch spring tensions? Is the 85/255 about right or are you trying other options? Is the engagement speed too low with the 85 spring rate?
Engagement is about the same as the old Team clutch- around 3200-3400. I think the spring rate initial is good but because of the spider design sitting lower in the clutch - Cat can get away from a taller spring & initial rate. So far the 255 is preforming well but trying different spring rates as they come available.

I feel there will be changes rapidly as more (fresh) snow arrives, so we can test with real snow conditions instead of this HERO Snow it seem like all of us have had to much of this season so far.

Last edited:

thump426er

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
West Koots
My adapt spider cracked in 2 spots and sheared 4 bolts at 37 hrs. Apparently the earlier ones didn’t have high enough grade bolts holding it on.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
My adapt spider cracked in 2 spots and sheared 4 bolts at 37 hrs. Apparently the earlier ones didn’t have high enough grade bolts holding it on.

Wonder if your spider bolts got loose? I seen a pic for someone who found theirs loosened off, they don't just shear off, all about clamping force, if they loosened off then they would be taking the torque and that would cause them to sheer, but just a thought...

Sad to, hear though because cat needs a new clutch to not worry about!

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Someone just posted a video of an exploded adapt on faceyspace with only 300 supposed miles. Of course being social media it is already being presumed that the adapt is no better than the team and is garbage.

D
Dec 16, 2009
Seeley Lake, Mt
Been following this thread. My 2019 Alpha has had 4 Team clutches go bad in under 2600 miles. Cat has covered all under warranty. I asked for this next clutch (#5) be a Adapt clutch and they agreed to try it on the 2019 covered under warranty. I have a 4 year warranty good till 11-30-2022. So I get a call this afternoon and they said the clutch was installed except they sent a Team clutch ( By Mistake) instead of the adapt but they sent the correct bolt and spacers for the Adapt. I was alao told this week they had 5 Adapt clutches either crack or explode causing body damage to the sled. I decided to take a chance and wait for the Adapt clutch as the Team clutch has proven it doesn't last. Whats your thoughts stay with the Team or go with the Adapt? Also Kudos to my dealer they have bent over backwards to try to make things work and keep my sled on the snow.

Z
Jan 26, 2011
My guess and purely a guess is that some of this is people tearing into the clutch to see how it ticks and then not getting it torqued down properly after putting them back together. Time will tell I supppose.

D
Dec 16, 2009
Seeley Lake, Mt
zl5600 I can only speak for myself. I have never done anything to the clutch aside from blowing it out or putting a new belt on it. All technical work has been performed by the dealer.
Thanks,
Dan

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
My guess and purely a guess is that some of this is people tearing into the clutch to see how it ticks and then not getting it torqued down properly after putting them back together. Time will tell I supppose.
Could be that too, after my first ride with mine that I purchased, it was making some... Noise...., now the cap/cover comes off to install the weights and stuff.... So I pulled it off and took it apart to check if anything was loose. Found the cap wasn't very tight and it was certainly moving, it broke a centering tab, you can see the belt dust in it and so I know it wasn't from me somehow. I went for a quick test putt and it seemed good ?20220210_201251.jpg

F
Feb 3, 2017
Could be that too, after my first ride with mine that I purchased, it was making some... Noise...., now the cap/cover comes off to install the weights and stuff.... So I pulled it off and took it apart to check if anything was loose. Found the cap wasn't very tight and it was certainly moving, it broke a centering tab, you can see the belt dust in it and so I know it wasn't from me somehow. I went for a quick test putt and it seemed good ?View attachment 384966

Interesting picture for sure. It is important to have those cover bolts not be oily when setting torque.

It is important to torque them as well as that keeps towers from being hammered (spread) due to not being constrained.

Premium Features