• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

7S display malfunction

K
Jun 30, 2017
I noticed this week on my 7s display that I would lose engine rpm, mph and coolant temp and gps tracking. Everything else would display. I noticed it 3 times the last day where I would lose all that information. I would stop and shut off the sled with the key switch and then take off again a few minutes later and not have any of that information displayed on the 7s. I could always shut the key off and let it power off and restart the sled and then get it all to come back. I checked the connections between the hood and display and didn’t see any water or loose connections.

Also the last day when we got back to the trailer the key does not power off the display anymore. I shut the key off and the display stays powered up along with the little lights in the headlight. I haven’t pulled the key switch off to check power thru it yet but I was leaning towards a bad key switch possibly.

Has anyone else experienced either of these symptoms?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mine hasnt tracked my last few rides but it shows maps and the marker moving appropriately. I have lost engine temp for a little bit on 2 seprate times, always on the really rough trail down. My fuel gauge read low the last time it happened as well, it worked fine after turning everything off for a minute or so, except tracking.

J
Nov 25, 2019
My gauge works great…..until 4-5hrs into a ride then it shuts off and won’t turn back on.
I also had the little lights in the headlight assembly stay on for 20-30min after the sled was off.

No moisture in the main plug on the display and the only help the dealer gave was to suggest doing the update.

jdtech65

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2008
Northwest IA
The key switch does kill the engine it just doesn’t cut power to the display. I will check to see where the display gets its power from when I get back home from this trip and see if maybe there’s a relay or something that is keeping power to the display.

OnlyPolaris

Lifetime Membership
Feb 27, 2009
Lloydminster, Alberta, Canada
I noticed this week on my 7s display that I would lose engine rpm, mph and coolant temp and gps tracking. Everything else would display. I noticed it 3 times the last day where I would lose all that information. I would stop and shut off the sled with the key switch and then take off again a few minutes later and not have any of that information displayed on the 7s. I could always shut the key off and let it power off and restart the sled and then get it all to come back. I checked the connections between the hood and display and didn’t see any water or loose connections.

Also the last day when we got back to the trailer the key does not power off the display anymore. I shut the key off and the display stays powered up along with the little lights in the headlight. I haven’t pulled the key switch off to check power thru it yet but I was leaning towards a bad key switch possibly.

I have the same thing going on. Happens a couple times a day usually. But always starts working after shutting sled off and starting again. My display also powers off no problem each time.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..

I have the same thing going on. Happens a couple times a day usually. But always starts working after shutting sled off and starting again. My display also powers off no problem each time.
Water in the key switch makes the display stay powered up.

I worked that one for awhile.

Pull plug off back, dielectric grease, grease key and insert.

T

tahoe900

Aug 12, 2011
Truckee, CA
curious if anyone in here has any updates with their 7s screen staying on with the key in the OFF position. I will try what @Sheetmetalfab said

I have a 23' Khaos Boost with 260 miles, my 7s has NEVER connected to other group rides, it will display my location but only updates every 5-10 minutes & my screen stays on with the key off and out of the machine (until the battery dies)

J
Nov 25, 2019
My gauge works great…..until 4-5hrs into a ride then it shuts off and won’t turn back on.
I also had the little lights in the headlight assembly stay on for 20-30min after the sled was off.

No moisture in the main plug on the display and the only help the dealer gave was to suggest doing the update.
I did the software update and mine is still shutting off after 3-4hrs, guess I have to try and get it replaced by warranty.

jdtech65

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2008
Northwest IA
After a few days of sitting in my heated garage mine started shutting off with the key switch. I tested the diodes and they tested good. Dealer replaced my key switch but I haven’t been out west yet to see how it acts in the snow.

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
After a few days of sitting in my heated garage mine started shutting off with the key switch. I tested the diodes and they tested good. Dealer replaced my key switch but I haven’t been out west yet to see how it acts in the snow.

Interesting, I’ll check and see if that’s maybe why mine doesn’t shut off sometimes. Like you said, I’ll go in the trailer and It’s still on after quite a while. But the display not showing information, mine happens the same as yours and I didn’t happen to see this thread until now, and posted the thread earlier today.

Mar 13, 2024
I have a 2023 RMK Boost with electric start and after about 5 or 6 rides the 7S diplay will not shut off with the key or takes a while to shut off. I have checked and cleaned connections at the display, hood harness, relay, and key switch. Sometimes the display won't turn on with the key switch turned on or takes a while to turn on with switch. If it doesn't turn on it usually turns on when engine is started. Has anyone found a solution yet? If I unplug the key switch then the display shuts off leading me to a key switch issue although I don't have a schematic and I don't know what signal (voltage or ground) tells the display to turn off?

Mar 13, 2024
I have a 2023 RMK Boost with electric start and after about 5 or 6 rides the 7S diplay will not shut off with the key or takes a while to shut off. I have checked and cleaned connections at the display, hood harness, relay, and key switch. Sometimes the display won't turn on with the key switch turned on or takes a while to turn on with switch. If it doesn't turn on it usually turns on when engine is started. Has anyone found a solution yet? If I unplug the key switch then the display shuts off leading me to a key switch issue although I don't have a schematic and I don't know what signal (voltage or ground) tells the display to turn off?
I have also blew out the key switch connection. It already had a lot of dielectric grease in it already although it didn't make any difference. I will try to blow out the key switch tonight the best that I can.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
They are supposed to stay on until they time out. Mine unfortunately shuts off too quickly as the battery sucks.

Mar 13, 2024
I have also blew out the key switch connection. It already had a lot of dielectric grease in it already although it didn't make any difference. I will try to blow out the key switch tonight the best that I can.
Update: Last night I removed the key switch, pulled the back off of the key swtich (easy to do), cleaned the white factory grease out from contacts and applied a small amount of dielectric grease and put back together. When I plugged the key switch back in the display turned on even though the key was in the off position (maybe due to a contact in the switch slightly out of place after reassembly of the switch). I allowed the display to power up fully and then turned the key switch off. Display did turn off although it took a minute or so. Next thing I tried was to gently blow air in the hole through the rubber seal from missing top left 4 position switch (switch knob must have been pulled off by a branch, I noticed it during the last trip and plugged the hole as soon as I noticed it was missing to keep snow out, it is possible some snow got in there before I plugged it). I gently blew air in/towards the hole in the switch rubber and could see the screen change slightly so I know some air was getting inside the display. I did this a couple different times for a minute or two. After this the screen turned on properly with the key and also turned off properly (immediately) with the key. Seems fixed for now. I checked it again this morning and it was still working properly. I will check again tonight.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
My 24 Boost shuts the screen off and kills the motor when I turn off the key. My 23 9R doesn't shut off or turn the screen off when you turn off the key. Basically turning off the key does nothing. It will however turn the screen on turning the key if it wasn't previously on.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
My 24 Boost shuts the screen off and kills the motor when I turn off the key. My 23 9R doesn't shut off or turn the screen off when you turn off the key. Basically turning off the key does nothing. It will however turn the screen on turning the key if it wasn't previously on.

Sounds like your 9R may be clapped out

Premium Features