• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

7S display malfunction

Mar 13, 2024
Update: Last night I removed the key switch, pulled the back off of the key swtich (easy to do), cleaned the white factory grease out from contacts and applied a small amount of dielectric grease and put back together. When I plugged the key switch back in the display turned on even though the key was in the off position (maybe due to a contact in the switch slightly out of place after reassembly of the switch). I allowed the display to power up fully and then turned the key switch off. Display did turn off although it took a minute or so. Next thing I tried was to gently blow air in the hole through the rubber seal from missing top left 4 position switch (switch knob must have been pulled off by a branch, I noticed it during the last trip and plugged the hole as soon as I noticed it was missing to keep snow out, it is possible some snow got in there before I plugged it). I gently blew air in/towards the hole in the switch rubber and could see the screen change slightly so I know some air was getting inside the display. I did this a couple different times for a minute or two. After this the screen turned on properly with the key and also turned off properly (immediately) with the key. Seems fixed for now. I checked it again this morning and it was still working properly. I will check again tonight.
Tested again last night and this morning and the display turns on with the key and shuts off with the key properly. Is the key switch vulnerable to moisture ingress? Yes, extremely although I did not see any sign of moisture when I had the key switch a part. Is the display vulnerable to moisture ingress? Yes, especially if the 4-position button comes off. I also believe the display is very sensative to moisture. In the end I don't have a definite conclusion. I would need to know exactly what triggers the display to turn on and off. I'm thinking it is more than just killing the power when the switch is turned off. Likely is triggered by a power or ground signal?

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Tested again last night and this morning and the display turns on with the key and shuts off with the key properly. Is the key switch vulnerable to moisture ingress? Yes, extremely although I did not see any sign of moisture when I had the key switch a part. Is the display vulnerable to moisture ingress? Yes, especially if the 4-position button comes off. I also believe the display is very sensative to moisture. In the end I don't have a definite conclusion. I would need to know exactly what triggers the display to turn on and off. I'm thinking it is more than just killing the power when the switch is turned off. Likely is triggered by a power or ground signal?
I was told the 23's did not come with the battery unless it was e-start. Of course it would go off with the sled. Some 24's have bad batteries too so they if they are supposed to stay on they still might fade out quite quickly when the key is turned off.

C
Dec 14, 2020
I was told the 23's did not come with the battery unless it was e-start. Of course it would go off with the sled. Some 24's have bad batteries too so they if they are supposed to stay on they still might fade out quite quickly when the key is turned off.

Aren't the manual start displays equipped with a small battery up by the display? Thought I remember a bunch of pictures of it from the 22s.

Premium Features