• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

600rr vs. M7

U
Dec 13, 2007
Fairbanks, Ak
I found a great deal on a 08 IQ 600RR 121' (Plan on putting a 144x2'), and an 07 M7 with a 144'.
I've heard nothing be great things about both sleds aside from the bearings/crank on the RR, dont know if they fixed it by 08 or not. But anyways. I'm looking for any suggestions on which ones better. I've ridden nothing but the 05 RMK/FUSION/SWITCHBACK 900 (I had one of each cause I loved the sled so much). So I dont really know what else is out there. I do alot of ditch banging, and riding around the streets of Alaska. But I also like to go out into the back country, and get a little steep and deep. Of course I dont go deep enough for a 174' track or anything.

Which ones better; power wise? Dependebility? Better for jumping? Handing? Mod-ability? Factory flaws? Must haves for either sled?
If I dont get the RR whats better to get, the ATACC or one of the other temp/altittude compensators?

Price is about equal
RR=5500
M7=5000

P.s.
Sorry if this is the wrong thread.

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
You buy the M7 and I'll buy the RR. Problem solved. Where's it at?

Just Kiddin'! I'd buy the RR without a second thought. Glad I could help.

D
Jun 17, 2009
Wyoming
Go with the RR, i went a little more extreme with mine (174&cutler 1200) but you will be happy with the 600 very snappy and easy to service, suspention is awesome, hope this helps!

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID
the m7 will only be better in deep snow and maybe climbing thats it

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Hmmm... both are great machines...

IMO... if you go the "racer style" sled..get an 09 IQR, It has the most advancements in it of the sleds. IQR = Factory racer RR= Racer-Replica

The 09 IQR is one sled that you can run with the stock motor and have great performance in the mod. It was designed to run on pump gas as well and has a great exhaust system. Other than jetting...you wouldnt need to change anything on the motor. The Holtzman ATACC altitude compensator would be a great addition to this sled.

With this sled, the IQR, Polaris put in a VERY strong little small block. It is a torquey motor compared to the RR. They are different motors in the IQR and RR... The IQR has the long stroke, 70mm crankshaft (same as the 800Cfi) compared to the shorter 64mm of the RR. IMO, in a mountain sled, the torque makes a great boodocking feature. The RR will rev higher... but these sleds, with 600cc powerplants will never be the highmarkers anyway.

As for the premix... for me... no big deal... it takes an extra couple of minutes at the gas station and you can carry an extra quart on the sled.

I feel that an 09 IQR can be put together on a reasonable budget for the first time in the IQR history. The Holz 45" front suspension and shocks can be sold to others with previous model year IQR's that want to update at a decent price. The track has value, shocks, and skid. Get rid of the Slipper axle (trade someone for thier 2006/07 solid axle that wants to upgrade.

The build would require a tunnel extension, mountain suspension, 141-144 track (I really wouldnt go bigger with the 600... IMO), front suspension w/skis (stock RMK or aftermarket) and a 9 gallon tank. Done deal.... IMO, though, get one of Brad Wurstens (1200psi) tunnels at a great price so that the running boards are not getting highsided in the deep stuff. Info on clutching setup is available out there.

That would be one unique, tough sled that rides and boondocks very well...

It all depends on your budget.

Last edited:
Premium Features