• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

5 Mountain rides in, pros and cons

P
Dec 15, 2018
Not to be that guy or anything but for the guy who wants a real review, there’s another post titled,” turcotte chases catalyst.” In which a pro rider from blue river bc named jamie intchuck (maybe) rides the living poop out of a 600 catalyst. There are times where turcottes 24 Polaris boost has a advantage but it’s shocking how little the guy on the 600 can’t do and he ends up in the same place just takes him a couple theee tries. So yes these guys are absolutely right,skill is a large part of it. I actually bought mine because I was getting a bit to thrown around and I am a little intimidated by the power (I know iam gay sorry chadley I let you down) I kept my 800 though lol. Iam hoping It can make me handle the little guy a little more confidently and in turn build a better skill base and then when the power runs out I can go back to the 800-850. I told my dealer I would change brands if I still suck on a cat in two seasons, “cause it must be the alpha rail .” (That’s a joke) but my riding partner (on a doo) hates it that I suck so bad and of course if I can’t get there he has to turn around lol . After I watched the video with turcotte and jamie I realized it’s on me. I started doing push ups and burpess and iam playing eye of the tiger real loud on the stereo at 5am ! So now if it’ll just ef’n snow I can go get shredy and sendy in the mank. Caleb’s just up the road and I’ll hang with him after I dial. (Hope you understand the sarcasm) lol

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Not to be that guy or anything but for the guy who wants a real review, there’s another post titled,” turcotte chases catalyst.” In which a pro rider from blue river bc named jamie intchuck (maybe) rides the living poop out of a 600 catalyst. There are times where turcottes 24 Polaris boost has a advantage but it’s shocking how little the guy on the 600 can’t do and he ends up in the same place just takes him a couple theee tries. So yes these guys are absolutely right,skill is a large part of it. I actually bought mine because I was getting a bit to thrown around and I am a little intimidated by the power (I know iam gay sorry chadley I let you down) I kept my 800 though lol. Iam hoping It can make me handle the little guy a little more confidently and in turn build a better skill base and then when the power runs out I can go back to the 800-850. I told my dealer I would change brands if I still suck on a cat in two seasons, “cause it must be the alpha rail .” (That’s a joke) but my riding partner (on a doo) hates it that I suck so bad and of course if I can’t get there he has to turn around lol . After I watched the video with turcotte and jamie I realized it’s on me. I started doing push ups and burpess and iam playing eye of the tiger real loud on the stereo at 5am ! So now if it’ll just ef’n snow I can go get shredy and sendy in the mank. Caleb’s just up the road and I’ll hang with him after I dial. (Hope you understand the sarcasm) lol
Telling Chadly you are gay isn’t letting him down… gets him up if anything 🙈

idacatman2

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, ID
8219ea3ccfd3db8dbe51982609927c50.jpg

I own both and after putting roughly 200 miles on both sleds I find myself leaning towards riding the cat. It is easier to ride through the trees and requires less input. You really notice it slow speed on edge. You can ride the cat in a more neutral position and just dip a shoulder with one foot on either side to bring it on edge and keep it there. Power isn’t as snappy as a bigger motor but it is going to get you there. The 858 is going to be stupid good. I hope the motor is as good or better than the pol 900 if it is we will have the best motor chassis combo on snow. I might change my preference with deeper snow but so far in this dismal winter the cat is getting it done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turbo Thompson

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2021
On top of the mountain
Why boost a 6? I guess ,if boosted, and it keeps up with factory boost it might be worth it because it is a hair cheaper. Maybe we need chadly over here to call everyone stupid and tell everyone 600s are for poor people.
Once you’re into aftermarket turbos money isn’t really a factor. I’d boost a 6 for the power to weight ratio, that is if that ratio is significantly better than a factory turbo. Most of you guys don’t understand how restricted you are without a turbo at 10k-13k feet. We loose 30-40% of power on na. 850 turbo at 12k makes less power than an 850 at sea level. 850 at 12k makes less power than a 600 at sea level.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Once you’re into aftermarket turbos money isn’t really a factor. I’d boost a 6 for the power to weight ratio, that is if that ratio is significantly better than a factory turbo. Most of you guys don’t understand how restricted you are without a turbo at 10k-13k feet. We loose 30-40% of power on na. 850 turbo at 12k makes less power than an 850 at sea level. 850 at 12k makes less power than a 600 at sea level.
I hear you and i do understand because I mainly ride at 9000 feet. There is no power to weight in a 6 vs. 8. Just less power. Ibexx claims a net zero which sounds appealing because you can feel the weight of a turbo. The 858 is supposed to be 4 to 6 pounds lighter than the 6 and will be the same system more or less. I have a catalyst for my daughter in a 146. If i was going to have one for myself it would have a turbo and a 154 3 inch. I am just not going to waste it on a 6 at 9000 feet. There are so many people on here secretly hoping its a 850 killer and it won't be. If the chassis is great, that's awesome. Cat desperately needed it. They were waaay behind. A 6 isn't going to win some trophy for mountain riding at 9 to12k and a 858 might not either depending on snow conditions. The 9r is awesome except when it's really deep. We'll see what the 858 is priced at. The 9r is a grand or 2 overpriced and everyone i ride with has boost.

Turbo Thompson

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2021
On top of the mountain
I hear you and i do understand because I mainly ride at 9000 feet. There is no power to weight in a 6 vs. 8. Just less power. Ibexx claims a net zero which sounds appealing because you can feel the weight of a turbo. The 858 is supposed to be 4 to 6 pounds lighter than the 6 and will be the same system more or less. I have a catalyst for my daughter in a 146. If i was going to have one for myself it would have a turbo and a 154 3 inch. I am just not going to waste it on a 6 at 9000 feet. There are so many people on here secretly hoping its a 850 killer and it won't be. If the chassis is great, that's awesome. Cat desperately needed it. They were waaay behind. A 6 isn't going to win some trophy for mountain riding at 9 to12k and a 858 might not either depending on snow conditions. The 9r is awesome except when it's really deep. We'll see what the 858 is priced at. The 9r is a grand or 2 overpriced and everyone i ride with has boost.
Thank you that’s what I’ve been looking for. I’m not looking for a trophy winner at high elevation I’m looking for a fun backup that’s light and playful but still has power. I’ll be on the turbo R at least until cat a figure out factory turbo.

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah
8219ea3ccfd3db8dbe51982609927c50.jpg

I own both and after putting roughly 200 miles on both sleds I find myself leaning towards riding the cat. It is easier to ride through the trees and requires less input. You really notice it slow speed on edge. You can ride the cat in a more neutral position and just dip a shoulder with one foot on either side to bring it on edge and keep it there. Power isn’t as snappy as a bigger motor but it is going to get you there. The 858 is going to be stupid good. I hope the motor is as good or better than the pol 900 if it is we will have the best motor chassis combo on snow. I might change my preference with deeper snow but so far in this dismal winter the cat is getting it done.

Look at how compact the body plastics compare to the Matryx. Appears to be notably smaller. Haven't seen one in person yet but I can see why people are saying how incredible that Cat fit everything so tightly inside the body.

R
Feb 26, 2008
Look at how compact the body plastics compare to the Matryx. Appears to be notably smaller. Haven't seen one in person yet but I can see why people are saying how incredible that Cat fit everything so tightly inside the body.
Not only that but theres more room to work and more room for the exhaust.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
My daughter's sled is sitting right beside 9r and boost. I actually like the feel of the cat better. The running boards are a half inch wider and an inch overall when measuring acrossed. The cat is narrower up by tank and tank is packaged way farther forward. Everything is more centralized on the cat. Panels and hood come off as easy or easier. I hate the 3 quarter turns on the polaris. They turn hard. I heard they fixed that on the 24 but obviously haven't looked with no more snow than we have.
Also watched install video on ibexx turbo. Looks like a really cool kit. If it's really a net zero like they claim, it should be awesome.

Krause09

Premium Member
Feb 1, 2016
Washington
Anyone had a p1324 (knock) sensor code? Happened 2 times yesterday and I just shut it down and restarted it to clear!? 5hrs on sled and haven’t been easy on it during the break in, fuel is 92

IMG_9879.png IMG_9867.jpeg

Solid Turbos

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 19, 2018
UTAH
Anyone had a p1324 (knock) sensor code? Happened 2 times yesterday and I just shut it down and restarted it to clear!? 5hrs on sled and haven’t been easy on it during the break in, fuel is 92

Based on the break in. 40% extra oil for the first 30 min and 30% more oil for the first 6 hrs I believe.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Keep in mind, you're looking at the clutch side, which sticks out at least two inches more than the other side. Still a good point though: cutting out the hump means that much less drag. That said, it's worth some price to me to run a P-85 (I know, it's a 9R, so P-22, but it can be swapped). I'm not that familiar with Cat's clutch, but I get the sense it's more like the P-22 (has more issues). Still, it's impressive what Cat's been able to do with the bodywork, especially if it's just as easy to work on as the Matryx.

R
Feb 26, 2008
Keep in mind, you're looking at the clutch side, which sticks out at least two inches more than the other side. Still a good point though: cutting out the hump means that much less drag. That said, it's worth some price to me to run a P-85 (I know, it's a 9R, so P-22, but it can be swapped). I'm not that familiar with Cat's clutch, but I get the sense it's more like the P-22 (has more issues). Still, it's impressive what Cat's been able to do with the bodywork, especially if it's just as easy to work on as the Matryx.
Way easier to work on than a Matryx. Probably the only thing thats easier on the matryx is the a arms. Everything else is advantage to cat.

Premium Features