• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

5 Mountain rides in, pros and cons

P
Dec 15, 2018
Could it be super deep anywhere? Alaska maybe? It’s super d….pressing here. Oh please baby Jesus kill El Niño and let it snow! I wanna ride and ski and run rivers with no fires. Yours truly charlie

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
At ten thou feet, its more like like a 60cc catalyst than 600cc

Last edited:

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
So dude was in early season, outta shape, first ride, light fluffy sooooooper deep snow, no base, 154” track, 600 cc’s, 10,000 feet and he’s disappointed? Understandable. Prolly would been faster to just walk in those conditions. Haha

Last edited:
P
Dec 15, 2018
Lots of 165 turbo conversions on social media. I think it’s a bit steep. I talked kinda by accident to one turbo fabricator and all though his set up was really thorough and beautifully done it was 6400 us. That isn’t the end of the world money but it isn’t throw away either. I’d guess the new 858 or a competitors turbo would be more cost effective? I d actually do it for fun in a couple of years if I get better at riding if it was more around 3k lol. Seems like it’s hard to pencil out right now and lots of variables, Nevermind catastrophic failures…

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Lots of 165 turbo conversions on social media. I think it’s a bit steep. I talked kinda by accident to one turbo fabricator and all though his set up was really thorough and beautifully done it was 6400 us. That isn’t the end of the world money but it isn’t throw away either. I’d guess the new 858 or a competitors turbo would be more cost effective? I d actually do it for fun in a couple of years if I get better at riding if it was more around 3k lol. Seems like it’s hard to pencil out right now and lots of variables, Nevermind catastrophic failures…
Charlie, ya been a free member for 6 years now. It’s like 30 bones for a lifetime membership. If ya ain’t spending 30 bux to get rid of ads, ya ain’t buyin no turbo in this lifetime. You too cheap. haha

Last edited:

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
From what I've seen you get what you pay for on aftermarket forced induction kits. There are some of the cheaper ones that run ok, but it seems to be a crap shoot. Silber on one friend's Ski-Doo runs good 80-90% of the time. Silber on a friend's Polaris ran good 50% of the time and he finally sold it.

Personally, I'd keep the 600 stock and upgrade sleds when ready for more.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
From what I've seen you get what you pay for on aftermarket forced induction kits. There are some of the cheaper ones that run ok, but it seems to be a crap shoot. Silber on one friend's Ski-Doo runs good 80-90% of the time. Silber on a friend's Polaris ran good 50% of the time and he finally sold it.

Personally, I'd keep the 600 stock and upgrade sleds when ready for more.
I feel like these aftermarket turbos just cannot compete reliability/runability wise with the factory systems. I'm not going to try to act like I know what I'm talking about but it seems that Polaris and Doo figured out how to monitor and control pipe pressure electronically through the wastegate(out the side of the pipe on the Polaris) vs most aftermarket kits just running a mechanical wastegate. That kind of seems to be the magic that makes them work so well. I think Force turbos actually has a similar setup now. I assume Polaris and Doo are running far more sensors than on the NA machine to help in making proper fueling changes on the fly? Aftermarket is just working with whats there on the NAs.

Every aftermarket turbo I have been around has some quirks, misses, starting issues, or terrible bogs. Amazing to me that these factory systems work (mostly) flawlessly and can run like 9lbs of boost on pump gas.

Solid Turbos

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 19, 2018
UTAH
I feel like these aftermarket turbos just cannot compete reliability/runability wise with the factory systems. I'm not going to try to act like I know what I'm talking about but it seems that Polaris and Doo figured out how to monitor and control pipe pressure electronically through the wastegate(out the side of the pipe on the Polaris) vs most aftermarket kits just running a mechanical wastegate. That kind of seems to be the magic that makes them work so well. I think Force turbos actually has a similar setup now. I assume Polaris and Doo are running far more sensors than on the NA machine to help in making proper fueling changes on the fly? Aftermarket is just working with whats there on the NAs.

Every aftermarket turbo I have been around has some quirks, misses, starting issues, or terrible bogs. Amazing to me that these factory systems work (mostly) flawlessly and can run like 9lbs of boost on pump gas.

2e8895fbc9a9a608e11d4aa68865dd2f.jpg

12951517740b0301b343c75c3021a15f.jpg

eb8c3bec930a76b63e1f99168490e6ab.jpg

84f8a7c25c67bc31d75e522b50e2601d.jpg

9e26afbad9a36282bc6bcbcd92a139c7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P
Dec 15, 2018
Oh man I didn’t realize i had been on here six years! That’s embarrassing! I am still terrible at snowmobiling! Oh well! Between two kids in college and boats and cats and my money being worth less now , I spent my turbo money lol. I hope someday to stay least experience deep snow like the movies and see what the turbo guys do . I allways thought forums where free lol! I’ll subscribe and pay even though usually no one really helps me just makes fun of me or someone else somehow’!

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Oh man I didn’t realize i had been on here six years! That’s embarrassing! I am still terrible at snowmobiling! Oh well! Between two kids in college and boats and cats and my money being worth less now , I spent my turbo money lol. I hope someday to stay least experience deep snow like the movies and see what the turbo guys do . I allways thought forums where free lol! I’ll subscribe and pay even though usually no one really helps me just makes fun of me or someone else somehow’!
It’s not membership shaming at all so no need to haul off and get one. It was more poking fun at ya! And don’t worry about the tree riding experts. I’ll never do that in my life after 25 years of sledding. Fat old No motivation

Turbo Thompson

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2021
On top of the mountain
I feel like saying a 600 at 10k in deep snow is disappointing isn't stirring the chit... it's a given lol
Y’all are missing my question. I made a statement and asked if anyone had their catalyst out in hood deep pow because I know boost will fix the sever lack of power. How boggy is it? How well does it climb on the snow?

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Why boost a 6? I guess ,if boosted, and it keeps up with factory boost it might be worth it because it is a hair cheaper. Maybe we need chadly over here to call everyone stupid and tell everyone 600s are for poor people.

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
The best mountain riders on a NA stock sled will easily outride most riders in any conditions and especially when it’s deep.
Muskoka and Caleb get up terrain in deep conditions on NA sleds 90% of us would not get up no matter what we were riding, a turbo would make the crashes and fails more spectacular though😂
A turboed sled can improve the capability of good riders but IMO will get inexperienced riders in trouble.
Bottom line is a turbo will not compensate for lack of skill in most situations.

Premium Features