• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2020 Expert clutch engagement doesn't feel right

J
Jul 31, 2014
Fairhaven
I'm riding a 2020 Expert this winter that I got with ~300 miles on it. I haven't put a lot of miles on it this winter but I've noticed that the clutch engagement feels different than the other two Summit 850s that are in the family. I can't figure out exactly what's it's doing but it feels like it's surging or pulsing right at the engagement point. I don't think it's the driver ratcheting on the track since I don't hear any noise and the surging is very consistent. I also notice it mostly when I'm trying to move the sled around on dry ground (at home or in the staging area on gravel roads). Once the sled is up to speed on snow I can't feel anything.

I gave the clutches a quick check and didn't see anything out of place but I suspect I missed something. Does anyone have any ideas what I should be looking for or what adjustment might be needed?

J
Jul 31, 2014
Fairhaven
Chain tension should be good, I had recently checked it but I'll double check. I'll take a deeper look at the rollers and springs. Thanks for the help.

Wapow

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
Stock clutching? Also check your ski runners to make sure they aren't bent/broken and hanging up. We use the Woody's runners without carbide because they move around much easier and don't scratch up your driveway nearly as badly as the OEMs. But they also wear out faster, so you gotta keep an eye on them. Worth it IMO.

S
Mar 6, 2008
Northern Sweden
Check the online spare parts catalogue and compare clutching components between the 850 models you have in the family, just because they are all 850 Summits they doesn't need to be clutched the same, and especially not if they are different model years.

Other than that, it's 3 years old now, it might be time to grease the rollers, even if it hasn't done a lot of miles.

J
Jul 31, 2014
Fairhaven
Good news! I sorted the problem out and it was as simple as scrubbing the clutch plates with a brillo pad. I pulled the belt, didn't see any problems there, checked the rollers and wiped them clean, didn't see any problems there, and then ran a hand over the clutch plates. I could feel that they were dirty and had less friction in an uneven pattern. I gave them a scrub and got to ride over the weekend and the lurching feel was gone. I just wanted to share to close the loop and help anyone else that finds the same thing.

Premium Features