• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2017 Pro RMK 800 155 rear bag and gas can?

G
Feb 4, 2012
NW Wisc.
Looking for suggestions for a rear bag and gas can to put on this sled. What do you have and why do you like it? Is there something that you've seen that's just a POS?

Suggestions so far are racks and bag/can from Mountain Addiction and Craggier. Don't need the best/most $$ but don't want to cheap out either!

Help me spend money! LOL!

Mxracer39

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2014
Maine
I run a under seat Polaris bag, a smaller sized pelican hard case just behind seat and a rotopax I think it's a 1.75 gal gas tank only when we're on longer days out. It's just enough room without being bulky. The rotopax is super slick, And I love the completely sealed pelican case

Cinno

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Stillwater,Mn
checkout:
powderkegllc.com/

Ive been using one of these for the last 5 years.
Very durable. The gas tank and luggage is stackable. Use one or the other or both. Heavier than most but can't be damaged. The one I got comes with an integrated shovel and handle. Also has an integrated LED flashlight. Its water proof if you don't open it, however you have to open it to get the shove handle so if it is snowing your stuff will get a dusting of snow. I always used nylon stuff sacks because of that. It is held on with little twist locks. Very easy to remove and carry to cabin.

Cinno

Killer Time Racing

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2008
Lower Michigan
Warning to all .. I have posted this before

The Tunnel has a weight limit of 15 pounds and Gas is 7.6 pounds per gallon so a 2.5 gallon payload and container is equivalent to 15 or so pounds ..

Warranty will not cover it I have disassembled and reassembled a 2012 for a friend not a easy task in a weekend !!

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
Sled Solutions underseat bag and mountain addiction gas cans/rack (the 2 small cans hold up much better than the 1 big one) has my vote.

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
I have the Burandt under seat bag. I have a gas rack but it is not installed. I have never felt a need for it. The Axys is easy enough on fuel for a full tank to be more than enough for a whole day of riding. That is nice because I prefer not to have weight on the tunnel or insulating bags or cans that inhibit cooling.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
I have the Burandt under seat bag. I have a gas rack but it is not installed. I have never felt a need for it. The Axys is easy enough on fuel for a full tank to be more than enough for a whole day of riding. That is nice because I prefer not to have weight on the tunnel or insulating bags or cans that inhibit cooling.

That what I have found out with the Axys even on the over the hood powder day's

W
Sep 7, 2016
Jackman Maine
I ran an OEM shovel bag, and gas can set up on my SKS. My gas can fell off first ride, as I was pounding through some bumps. I also have the underseat Burandt bag. This year, I bought an UpNorth Technologies Linq plate, which is, imo, the best setup for carrying gas. Still working on those foot rests, which are ridiculously tight.

G
Feb 4, 2012
NW Wisc.
Thanks for all the comments everybody! All great info! It's going to be up to my son to decide what to spend his money on.

He told me that he's first going to buy an avy kit/backpack. Beacon/shovel/etc. He knows the benefits of a "blowup bag" or whatever you call it but it's just not in the cards $$ wise.

Then based on the comments about the MPG's maybe a tunnel bag will be #2 on his list.

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
Always a supporter of buying safety gear first if you are a mtn rider. Sounds like you are raising your boy right!! ??

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
If you have the money to buy a 2017 Axys, you should have $500 for an airbag, if not you need to prioritize a little better. If your son doesnt have the money for the bag I would suggest you trying to round up the cash for one (would make a great christmas gift), it may be the difference of him coming or not coming home from the mountains. That said its good you are getting the essentials.

B

BallsDeep_5280

Oct 16, 2012
CO
Avi Bags are a great piece of equipment, but there is ABSOLUTELY no substitute for knowledge of avalanches (Terrain, Route Finding, Group Dynamics, etc.) and skill with using your beacon, shovel and probe.

The right gear can only save a person's life if they know how to use it... and the right amount of knowledge will help eliminate the need to use that gear in a real world situation.

Beacon. Shovel. Probe. Avi Class. Practice.

</ End of the Avi Police Rant>

G
Feb 4, 2012
NW Wisc.
If you have the money to buy a 2017 Axys, you should have $500 for an airbag, if not you need to prioritize a little better. If your son doesnt have the money for the bag I would suggest you trying to round up the cash for one (would make a great christmas gift), it may be the difference of him coming or not coming home from the mountains. That said its good you are getting the essentials.

Don't get me started!!!! This is what I've tried to tell him but......

What can you get that's good for $500? Pretty much all I see is $800+.

G
Feb 4, 2012
NW Wisc.
Avi Bags are a great piece of equipment, but there is ABSOLUTELY no substitute for knowledge of avalanches (Terrain, Route Finding, Group Dynamics, etc.) and skill with using your beacon, shovel and probe.

The right gear can only save a person's life if they know how to use it... and the right amount of knowledge will help eliminate the need to use that gear in a real world situation.

Beacon. Shovel. Probe. Avi Class. Practice.

</ End of the Avi Police Rant>

Yep for sure!

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Don't get me started!!!! This is what I've tried to tell him but......

What can you get that's good for $500? Pretty much all I see is $800+.

Snowbigdeal has BCA Float 22s for $475 with the canister currently. There are of course lighter more comfortable bags for more $$$, but the Float 22 is a nice pack. As stated above the basics and the KNOWLEDGE are certainly the most important but an airbag in no way will EVER be money poorly spent.

G
Feb 4, 2012
NW Wisc.
Snowbigdeal has BCA Float 22s for $475 with the canister currently. There are of course lighter more comfortable bags for more $$$, but the Float 22 is a nice pack. As stated above the basics and the KNOWLEDGE are certainly the most important but an airbag in no way will EVER be money poorly spent.

I price out a Float 22 and it comes to $775. Maybe you're looking at something else? $100 HAZMAT fee to AK?

http://www.snowbigdeal.com/bca-float-22-avalanche-airbag-2016.html

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
That is the 2016 model that you priced, you can get the earlier model for $575 to Alaska, I did not realize that you were in AK or that they charged $100 hazmat fee to get one there.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
The pack itself is $299. If you could find a dealer in AK I bet you could get a canister much cheaper.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
As i understand it, you will not have the hazmat fee if you have the canister shipped empty. Once you receive it, have it filled at a scuba dive shop for about $5. It is just compressed air in these canisters which is MUCH better than what the others use.

ABS packs, for instance, use gas cartridges filled with compressed liquid nitrogen. Not so convenient for refilling . . .in my opinion.

I have both BCA Float 30 and Float 22 - both are great packs and use the same compressed air cylinder.

Premium Features