• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2014 Pro RMK Mag side low oil

ditch1000

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2008
Fort St. James, B.C.
Hi all,

I picked up a 2014 800 Assault near the end of last winter with the mag side piston scuffed up..
I put a new top end on it, ski doo oil cap, turned the oiler up 2 1/2 turns and add 200 ml of oil in the tank as well.. At about 70 miles I lost the rod bearing on the mag side crank and the piston was scuffed a little..
I took the engine apart, cleaned everything up and was checking the oils ports today before starting to reassmble it with a new crank, pistons, etc…
When I ran the drill on the oil pump; I’m getting 3 or 4 times the amount of oil on the PTO side as on the mag side. I took the inspection covers off the pump and everting is free and looks ok. All of the ports are clear but there is just not enough oil IMO.. I realize the PTO site is fed with two ports vs one on the mag side..
But this is the side that’s giving me trouble..
Am I missing something here?? ? Is there any kind of adjustment on the pump body? Or is the pump shot..

Thanks,

Ditch

3489C247-39A7-4F88-94FD-FC04B6627EAB.jpeg

ditch1000

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2008
Fort St. James, B.C.
Hi all,

I picked up a 2014 800 Assault near the end of last winter with the mag side piston scuffed up..
I put a new top end on it, ski doo oil cap, turned the oiler up 2 1/2 turns and add 200 ml of oil in the tank as well.. At about 70 miles I lost the rod bearing on the mag side crank and the piston was scuffed a little..
I took the engine apart, cleaned everything up and was checking the oils ports today before starting to reassmble it with a new crank, pistons, etc…
When I ran the drill on the oil pump; I’m getting 3 or 4 times the amount of oil on the PTO side as on the mag side. I took the inspection covers off the pump and everting is free and looks ok. All of the ports are clear but there is just not enough oil IMO.. I realize the PTO site is fed with two ports vs one on the mag side..
But this is the side that’s giving me trouble..
Am I missing something here?? ? Is there any kind of adjustment on the pump body? Or is the pump shot..

Thanks,

Ditch
Just an update..
I disassembled the pump and soaked it in brake clean overnight..
I put the pump back together, re-installed and bled the pump; little to no difference..
I get a decent amount of oil on the bottom 3 ports but very little on the top 3 ports.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Not all ports are supposed to flow the same.

Pic is from the oil pump on my '05 700. Outers went to the crank bearings and the inner with more oil went to the cylinders.

IMGP2600.JPG

ditch1000

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2008
Fort St. James, B.C.
Ok. Maybe someone had it apart before and did not put the lines back correctly..
I did find a used pump for $60; if that one is the same, that answers my question.
Also, I’ll check my shop manual to see if it breaks down how the lines are suppose to feed..

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Not sure how you are priming your pump but I used a short section of 1/2" dowel with a notch cut in it. Wrap a zip-tie around the notch to keep the oil drive centered and get to spinning. Should help you figure out what kind of flow rate you are looking at.

IMGP2598.JPG

ditch1000

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2008
Fort St. James, B.C.
I am driving it off the water pump/oil pump shaft.. I just put a 13mm socket on the drill and drive it off the nut for the water pump impeller..

ditch1000

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2008
Fort St. James, B.C.
Thanks for the help volcano buster!! Your comment about the flow rates got me thinking and looking around… I downloaded a service manual and checked the oil line routing; the mag side crank bearing and the mag side cylinder were backwards.. Attached is a picture of how they were routed before I pulled the oil pump off..
The mag cylinder gets lots of oil now!!
I’m putting in the new crank, wossner pistons and new seals and I should have a great engine now!!

6B629CAB-1273-4D9F-A554-23A9A9912A56.jpeg

ditch1000

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2008
Fort St. James, B.C.
I had the Wossner Pistons from RK Tek on my old 2012; that thing was a monster!! And I never put a wrench to the motor in 5 years other than installing the drop in kit.. I would not hesitate to use them again..

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Man, sucks to have to re-do your re-do because the previous owner screwed up the oil lines! But glad you found the solution, and a great PSA on things to check, especially on a fixer-upper. The Pro 800 gets a lot of flak, some of it deserved, but bad maintenance still probably kills more of them than anything else.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Not sure how you are priming your pump but I used a short section of 1/2" dowel with a notch cut in it. Wrap a zip-tie around the notch to keep the oil drive centered and get to spinning. Should help you figure out what kind of flow rate you are looking at.
I'll have to keep that idea in mind the next time I have to prime a pump or check oiling. I've just used the teeth of the chuck, and it's worked, but it usually slips off several times before you're finished.

ditch1000

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2008
Fort St. James, B.C.
Agreed. Change your fuel filter every year and turn the oiler up and its a great sled!!
I’m just glad I found the root cause.. Not too worried about the extra work; it was a great learning experience.

Premium Features