• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Seize Diagnosis

czimpel

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 7, 2012
2013 RMK Pro 800 with Silber Turbo. Running 30% 100LL with 91 at 3psi 1000 elevation.

About 200 miles on a top end refresh and about 1 mile down the trail at 110˚ engine temp very light throttle and seized the motor. Turned the clutch and it came back rode it back tot the trailer. Pulled it apart and found this. Is this an oil pump failure was I starting to lose a crank bearing and it took the piston out also. PTO side was toast mag side was decent but not perfect.

There was a crazy dark pasty coating all over everything throughout the PTO side of the case and piston. Both spark plugs also looked to have a lot of aluminum on them.

Intake side took most of the damage.

Thanks, Cory

IMG_4710.JPGIMG_4712.JPGIMG_4713.JPG

T

theshadowrider

Jan 27, 2010
Does look like lack of oil? My guess was the paste was AL. Was the topend done because of issues?

czimpel

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 7, 2012
Top end was supposed to be preventative. SMH. I have it all back together with a reman crank and Indy Specialty top end. Verified oil pump output while I had it apart. I only have about an hour on it so far and all is well. Maybe just bad luck. I'm going to send the crank out to Indy Specialty to look over.

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
On the piston ring joint side of the piston nearest the carburetor, it looks like a total lack of oil mix in the gas. On the exhaust side of the piston, it looks like VES blade damage, due to impact stop damage inside of the cylinder. The fix is to grind maybe .050 off of the blades leading edge that is closest to the piston. You might want to also clean out the crank bearings closest to the damaged piston, until they can spin forever when driven by a few blasts of compressed air.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Me experience with the earlier versions of the oil pumps is that they wear over time and accumulate their debris causing wear at an accelerated rate. When the pump actually "goes out" it actually over oils the engine instead of limits the supply. You may have an oil line restriction that you don't know about.

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
Another oil pump issue, is that all 4 outlet tubes do not allow oil to be pumped out at the same rate. I took apart the edge oil pump, the two front outlets allow oil to be pumped at twice the rate as the two rear outlets. The two front outlets go to the carburetor. The two rear outlets go to the PTO and MAG end bearings. If the tube to either carburetor is hooked onto the rear outlets, the engine will seize up very quickly and exactly as shown in the pictures above. The total oil consumption is 40:1. 2/3rds of that is mixed with the gas.

Premium Features