• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2014 M8000 Popping, Backfire,cutting out at high RPM, HELP!!

S
Jan 7, 2020
I have a 2014 M8000 the other day it started popping and backfiring at higher rpms, I went through electrical test in service manual and found nothing wrong. checked all wiring and also tried a new stator and timing sensors, still did the same thing. How do these systems work with 4 ignition coils? can I switch them around to see if one is failing? Any help would be appreciated!!! hope to hear some good feedback!! Thanks in advance

S
Jan 7, 2020
I have a 2014 M8000 the other day it started popping and backfiring at higher rpms, I went through electrical test in service manual and found nothing wrong. checked all wiring and also tried a new stator and timing sensors, still did the same thing. How do these systems work with 4 ignition coils? can I switch them around to see if one is failing? Any help would be appreciated!!! hope to hear some good feedback!! Thanks in advance
Also checked throttle safety switch and kill switch

S
Jan 7, 2020
Check the reeds. Very common failure on these things.
I have not taken reeds out nut I looked in there with my scope camera and they look good, also didn't mention when it does get to higher rpm the tail light flickers, also when the hood was on the tach needle would bounce around.

S
Jan 7, 2020
I Tried a voltage regulator today, same result, pulled power valves and cleaned them. Also took the fuel injectors out and the screens had some junk in them so I cleaned them and hooked 12v to them and ran fresh gas through them, praying that is my problem!!

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Is it your first ride of the season?

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
At what RPM is this happening at? The 4 coils can be swapped around as they all fire at the same time. Did you try new spark plugs? Have you made any changes lately bars, handwarmers etc? If so start there checking wiring for damage. Check all grounds and put dielectric grease on all connectors. Check the wiring by the fuel tank something tells that was an issue on some machines. If you cant find the problem try bypassing the tss , kill switch and ignition switch( not all at the same time) and see if it changes. Warmers off etc. Do all your lights work head light and tail light etc. Did you check for correct measurement of the exhaust valves?

sledstormed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Idaho

I have a 2014 that does the same thing but not all the time. Sometimes it just dies. I’ve been through everything as found a few pins loose on the main harness. Did you ever find what was causing your problems? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features