• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2003 800 rmk first day problems

R

renotay

Sep 27, 2010
Reno, NV
I bought a 2003 vertical escape this summer with a broken crankshaft, put a new crank in, and took it out for the first day of the season today. If seemed to run really well on the trail, but once i started getting into a little powder and climbing little stuff I was floored basically the whole time. It gets up to about 6500 rpms, but if i slam the throttle it doesnt seem to have the instant power that it should have.

It was at about 7-9000ft elevation

It has a slp single pipe, 10-60 clutch weights, and a black/red slp clutch spring.
It is running a little oil rich, and i need to turn that down, but could it be my clutching or jets?

I also managed to snap my steering shaft off about 2 inches under the top of the post about half way through the day. Can I weld and reenforce it?

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
The 03 escapes had a recall on the steering columns. I'd buy a new one and not try and fix the one you have.

Your clutching is pretty close on the primary any way. Do you know what jets you are running?

Did you do the motor work or have someone else do it?

I'd be checking your temp sensor... if they go bad then you can't pull more than about 6500 rpm.

sled_guy

R

renotay

Sep 27, 2010
Reno, NV
thanks for the info on the steering column. ill give my dealer a call tomorrow see if they'll replace it

Im not sure what jets are in it. i thought it was jetted for tahoe but im going to have to pull them out tomorrow and see.

I did the motor work. Im really used to building car and harley engines but this has been my first real two stroke overhaul.

I dont think the temp sensor has gone bad, it would pull over 7000 on the trail but when I started climbing it acted there was barely a difference between 1/4 and full throttle.

Could it be that the secondary is opening too early and im losing the torque?

Last edited:
K
Nov 26, 2007
colorado
I would start with your power valves, the bellows could have a tear in them causing lack of top end power, put it on a stand and floor it and look for the pins poping out of the power valve, next check the buttons on the secondary and change the spring in the secondary

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
Make sure your jetting is close, use SLP's recommendations for a baseline. I've heard their recommendations are usually pretty fat, but its a place to start. http://www.startinglineproducts.com/instsheets/09-834.pdf Looks like neighborhood of 380 mains (thats pretty safe), with E clip in #3 to start maybe moving to #2 if #3 is fat. The oiling being a little rich shouldn't hurt anything, especially during break in.

Take your secondary off and open it up (look up how to do this if unsure). Check the spring, rollers, helix, and the bushings. New springs are nice, and only $25 plus shipping. Maybe someone can post a favorite clutch setup for your sled setup.

Take the cover off your primary. Check that the spring is good (not broken) and that nothing is binding or really worn (bushings mostly). Black/Red is only 120-320; maybe a little light considering SLP recommends a Black/Pink @ 120/340. I run higher altitude with twins and run a 150-340 primary spring (bright green Team), that works well for me. You should be able to pull 10-62 weights when everything is setup correctly, but being too light doesn't sound to be the issue at all.

Clutches aligned? And do they stay aligned under power? SLP torque arm was highly recommended to me.

Did you clean the VES valves and check the bellows? Could be sticking or not opening from a torn bellows.

You may have done alot of this over the summer, but if not you should check it all out. Were there any lights coming on (Temp, Temp flashing=detonation)?

Since you had it apart, you must have set the timing. Make sure that is correct. 29* BTDC is the stock setting at 3250 RPM and TPS (throttle position sensor) unplugged.

How many miles on the chassis?

My guess is way off on jetting, timing, or clutches need some love. I don't have alot of experience diagnosing sleds and basically just told you what I've read from others (Snowesters, shop techs, manuals, etc.), but I followed the advice I gave you and mine was basically pull rope and go day one.

I did the same thing this summer, although I didn't get a Vertical Escape, just an edge:face-icon-small-dis. It will rip when you get it right! Good luck.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Post up your jetting that you have right now.

Still have the stock air box? Vent lines from the carbs plugged in to the fittings on the airbox?

sled_guy

S
Jan 20, 2009
Here is what I am running at 6000-9000 feet. Stock motor and stock VES springs with slp single pipe set. SLP speedo vent and gutted airbox. 340 mains 10-64 weights green black Polaris primary spring and button secondary with a 36 straight helix and SLP yellow purple in the 2nd or 3rd hole. Runs great. Sled is an 02 800 with a power claw 162 track.

R

renotay

Sep 27, 2010
Reno, NV
ok i just checked the jets and its got 350 main. sounds about right? the bellows are good, and it has the slp black/pink spring not the red.

It has the slp air box

It hasnt had any light coming on but has been a kind of a bitch to start cold so now im leaning twards my timing is off.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
I would think that jetting would be pretty close.

Did you install the clutch springs?

Definitely check the timing.

Premium Features