• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2 Small indents on sylinder walls useable?

B
Oct 14, 2008
Elkford B.C
i have two tiny indents on one of my cylinders and was wondering if i still can use this put new piston and rings and the whole top end and it wont cause nothing to damage or its not possible?

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
well below the port you can still build compression...you would be amazed at what you can get away with and what some cylinders are like that we don;t know about..

K
Nov 10, 2008
B.C.
Honing would probably take it out i would always do it if i was putting new piston, rings, ect. Otherwise all parts will wear to the old surface your rebuild will last alot longer this way, measure everything while assembling and make sure all are within spec. JMT

Last edited:
L

lynxer292b

Jan 19, 2009
Below the port will have no effect I would still hone it a little. I usually do no matter what just to smooth everything out.

B
Oct 14, 2008
Elkford B.C
i honed it all out and everything is smooth minus them to little indents below the exhaust port on one side..it all looks good tho besides that theres still lots of nikisil left on the walls of the cylinders

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
Take it to a shop that has a good hone and have them run it. If it is low enough that the piston rings will never travel over it then Dont worry about it at all. But I agree with others, if its below the exhaust port you should be just fine, as long as it didnt hurt the nickesel plating.

thump426er

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
West Koots
Below ports should be alright. I have more than a few,, ummm,,,, divots in my cylinder right now (read: lots of em from an early season cold seize) as I'm waiting until the summer to redo it. I still am getting 119 lbs out of it.

What you dont want is flaking of the nikasil. Then you may have a problem. Or if the nikasil has seperated from the cylinder walls under the marks, which you will have now way of knowing until it comes apart on you. Takes alot to have that happen though.

I'd run it and not worry.

B
Oct 14, 2008
Elkford B.C
yeh i went to brent lindermans shop and showed him the cylinders and he said it will be fine it will just fill with oil and if it was his sled hed run it..soo its going back together once i get my top end rebuild kit

Premium Features