• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1999 Polaris 550 Trail RMK, Needs New Top End $500

B

Brett Slagle

Jan 11, 2008
SOLD

For Sale: 1999 Polaris 550 Trail RMK, $500

This was Mom's sled until a family friend put it into a tree two seasons ago. I took the sled down to its bones and replaced the bulkhead, most front suspension parts and any other parts it needed except the tunnel and belly pan, which are explained below:

In the accident, the tunnel creased slightly near the drivers on the left (clutch) side. This collapsed the left footwell some. I pounded all of this damage out, but it is not perfect. It is only noticeable upon close inspection and does not affect performance.

In the accident, the belly pan was cracked. I could not find a reasonably priced belly pan for this model after the accident so I bent some brackets and riveted/bolted the belly pan back together. It looks kind of odd, but it is strong and functional.

We ran the sled in this status last year, no issues.

At the end of last season the motor lost compression. I pulled it apart and it has a few small scuffs on the cylinder walls. Although honing the cylinders would probably work, I would do it right with a 10 over bore and new pistons/rings. The bottom end has 1,600 miles on new bearings and seals and should be good for several thousand more miles. The bottom end needs to be cleaned/flushed before putting the new top end on. The pipe is coated and has a little surface rust. It should come off no problem.

This is my families last Gen I/II sled, so I put all the remaining relevant model parts I had in the garage on it earlier this summer to make this sale more attractive to someone. I had a full set of drivetrain bearings (drivers and jackshaft) and seals which have all been installed. While I was in the chaincase I cleaned up the chain and gears and put in fresh oil. Other GEN II parts in the garage that were installed: 136X1.5 Polaris track, windshield bags, skid plate and plastic Polaris OEM skies.

Cosmetically, the seat has a few small rips and the hood has some scratches. No cracks in the hood. The motor is apart now so it will be easy to access the damage when you come to look at it. Chassis mileage is 3,400.

The sled has a clean title. I estimate that for no more than an additional $400 on top of the purchase price you could be in a sled with a new top end, lower mileage bottom end, and new drivetrain bearings.

The sled is at my parents’ house in Granite Bay, California, next to Roseville, about 25 minutes north of Sacramento. The sled can not be shipped and must be picked up at my parents house. I do not want to burden them with driving as I live in Los Angeles, 500 miles from this sled. We will all work together on the viewing/pick-up.

I'll sell the chassis and motor for $500. That way someone can be in for about $900 and some labor, but have a good runner.

PM, e-mail, call

Brett Slagle
brettslagle@gmail.com
(310) 310-5465

LA Porte Halloween 257.jpg LA Porte Halloween 258.jpg LA Porte Halloween 259.jpg LA Porte Halloween 260.jpg LA Porte Halloween 261.jpg LA Porte Halloween 262.jpg LA Porte Halloween 263.jpg

Last edited:
B

Brett Slagle

Jan 11, 2008
More Pictures

More Pictures

Last batch. Contact me with questions. Thanks

Brett

LA Porte Halloween 300.jpg LA Porte Halloween 301.jpg LA Porte Halloween 302.jpg LA Porte Halloween 303.jpg LA Porte Halloween 304.jpg LA Porte Halloween 305.jpg

Premium Features