• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

165 RMK Boost not playful enough, suggestions

H
Feb 7, 2018
take preload out of rear spring
reduce rear damping
I adjust center shock/front track shock relatively opposite accordingly (like a seesaw)
Add front ski shock preload if it’s not much (guessing based on your weight/size)
Move feet farther back
Ride brake a little before seeking lift then telease like a clutch

Unweight and maybe pull back on bars a little (make sure risers are parallel to steering post)

Use more throttle

Beyond that, you’re looking at considering Khaos type rails, altered geometry front spindles

Last edited:
M

Mr. Redrock

Nov 26, 2007
I’ve played with all of that, I think they have the factory Velocity shocks sprung and valving way off from the factory. I would like to try a standard walker clicker shock to verify. I ordered new fox shocks but they did not come in stock like they thought

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I’ve played with all of that, I think they have the factory Velocity shocks sprung and valving way off from the factory. I would like to try a standard walker clicker shock to verify. I ordered new fox shocks but they did not come in stock like they thought
My brother has a 165 boost with velocity shocks.

He swapped on a longer FTS eyelet and Khaos limiter strap.

Handles great now.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
I also did the longer eyelet, limiter strap and removed the sway bar. Feels alot lighter now, and probably 50% less steering effort

idahosledder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Where did you get the shock extension?
Raptor told me they didn't have one for the matryx.
Had anyone put a kaos limiter on with the stock shock? Or would the shock just max out and blow the seals?

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Where did you get the shock extension?
Raptor told me they didn't have one for the matryx.
Had anyone put a kaos limiter on with the stock shock? Or would the shock just max out and blow the seals?

It was a raptor eyelet off my old sled.
Drilled and tapped to fit the velocity FTS.

Lots of the older WE assault shocks had long eyelets.

H
Feb 7, 2018
In that case, yes Aftermarket shocks may help in general , but may not give you the major change in characteristics you are looking for.

I yhink you may need different rails smd spindles. I’d start with the spindles.

If the Fox unavailability is an issue there are other great options.

Have Carls revalve the Velocities or other shocks

I have a 22 Khaos non boost 165 and just ordered Exit X2 and X1, are cheaper than Fox 1.5s anyway and have rebound adjustment. I also bought Ice Age Elevate spindles and Zbroz arms to replace my Trenchers arms.

I’ll let you know how the difference feels

idahosledder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
I decided I'm going to drop the suspension to the lower hole and try that.
I can see where it may hurt approach angle a bit but it has to help ski pressure.
Besides, free!
As soon as I get past this COVID crap!

M
Nov 20, 2015
I also did the longer eyelet, limiter strap and removed the sway bar. Feels alot lighter now, and probably 50% less steering effort

Did the eyelet for the Raptor FTS thread onto the velocity unit? Or did you have to machine one out as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Raptor makes or did make a 1/2" and 5/8" eyelet.

C

cortez

Feb 12, 2009

Forgive my ignorance on the matter but how do you change shock length via eyelets? Would love to try this setup on mine.

M
Nov 20, 2015
Ya and I think they still do- my understanding is the 5/8” version is for their shock..at least today I believe. Either way, sounds like it worked for you, which is good.

The spring retainer is different than the axys- velocity eyelet has a lip that the retainer sits against.

Sheetmetalfab- I have the same 1/2” eyelet for an axys…did your brother have to machine a lip into the eyelet like the velocity eyelet? Or is the raptor eyelet diameter the same as the velocity inner retainer lip?

Planning to buy shocks next season, so kind of determined to try this to decide on FTS length.

M
Nov 20, 2015
Forgive my ignorance on the matter but how do you change shock length via eyelets? Would love to try this setup on mine.

Raptor makes an FTS eyelet that’s about 1” longer than stock…effectively making the length of the shock longer, and allowing the longer limiter strap to work without over extending the shock.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Raptor makes an FTS eyelet that’s about 1” longer than stock…effectively making the length of the shock longer, and allowing the longer limiter strap to work without over extending the shock.

It’s actually about 5/16” longer.

1” longer would be a disaster.

M
Nov 20, 2015
Oh ok, that was my perception from conversation with Raptor..to accommodate the strap length. May have misunderstood the eyelet length. Thanks

C

cortez

Feb 12, 2009
It’s actually about 5/16” longer.

1” longer would be a disaster.

Mind sharing a photo of it installed? I’ve looked at the kits and the skid and somehow still can’t figure out how it adds length to the FTS.
I know it works, just want to understand the kit / configuration as it relates to the eyelet

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Mind sharing a photo of it installed? I’ve looked at the kits and the skid and somehow still can’t figure out how it adds length to the FTS.
I know it works, just want to understand the kit / configuration as it relates to the eyelet

So you are asking how an eyelet that is 5/16” longer makes the FTS longer?

Just read that slowly again ?

C

cortez

Feb 12, 2009
So you are asking how an eyelet that is 5/16” longer makes the FTS longer?

Just read that slowly again

Trust me, I know how stupid it sounds.

I just can’t picture how an internal eyelet bushing adjustment adds length - which is why I know that’s not the configuration and I’d like to just see it. I have the ability to make the pieces just need to see the setup.

Is it a pin through existing eyelet with extension piece and new eyelet / bore beyond end of the actual shock? That’s the only way I can see adding 5/16” of length as there isn’t enough room for an eccentric bushing to add that much length..

Premium Features