• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

165 RMK Boost not playful enough, suggestions

M

Mr. Redrock

Nov 26, 2007
My new 165 boost wont bring the front up much at all. It handles well and goes like no other but just very little ski lift.
I have a 2020 163 turbo that will bring the front up to be playful but still in control and climbs well. I don't need it to be wild like a Khaos.

I'm 205lbs geared up.

I've done the following;
Loosen the RTS almost all of the way, and turned clickers 2 off full soft.
Tightened FTS up 1/2"
Lengthened the limiter strap 1/2"

It feels like the RTS spring is just way to stiff and or the valving is not right. Rough on the trails with it this soft also.
I ordered a Khaos length limiter strap and was going to put anti stabs wheels on the rail for protection, but am now thinking I should change out the rear shock to get what I need.

Any thoughts?

C

cortez

Feb 12, 2009
My new 165 boost wont bring the front up much at all. It handles well and goes like no other but just very little ski lift.
I have a 2020 163 turbo that will bring the front up to be playful but still in control and climbs well. I don't need it to be wild like a Khaos.

I'm 205lbs geared up.

I've done the following;
Loosen the RTS almost all of the way, and turned clickers 2 off full soft.
Tightened FTS up 1/2"
Lengthened the limiter strap 1/2"

It feels like the RTS spring is just way to stiff and or the valving is not right. Rough on the trails with it this soft also.
I ordered a Khaos length limiter strap and was going to put anti stabs wheels on the rail for protection, but am now thinking I should change out the rear shock to get what I need.

Any thoughts?

I’ve noticed the front end of mine seems to squat a bit more than previous axys models, the a-arms seem to rest at a much flatter angle. I’m not sure if it’s the added weight with the turbo & e-start but I’m going to try putting more preload on my front shocks to see if it helps keep the front in a higher position which in theory should help… will report back.

I agree with what others have said about cranking the FTS, I felt a definite improvement even with small adjustments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M

Mr. Redrock

Nov 26, 2007
At 6'2" I could lose a few pounds I guess. Never had a problem getting the skis up before after adjusting the suspension.
Tightening the FTS will reduce ski pressure
As anyone switched out rear shocks and have good results and what brand did you use?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
At 6'2" I could lose a few pounds I guess. Never had a problem getting the skis up before after adjusting the suspension.
As anyone switched out rear shocks and have good results and what brand did you use?
I’m running the fox qs3’s burandt edition khaos geometry on my boost 165.

Big improvement.

It feels similar to an Axys 155 pro.

The matryx really has a very different front- rear weight balance vs Axys.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
I’m running the fox qs3’s burandt edition khaos geometry on my boost 165.

Big improvement.

It feels similar to an Axys 155 pro.

The matryx really has a very different front- rear weight balance vs Axys.

Fully agree. Although getting shocks right now is like getting people awake from their woke status. Good luck. My favorite is the Khaos shocks and limiter on a Pro. Or a Pro limiter on a Khaos sled if sled has Khaos rail profile.

Carls has a very good revalve on the Velocities.

I stand by the Dragon to Pro chassis comparison. This sled requires much different shocks settings on the Danforth compared to Axys. We cranked up FTS back then too.

Hmmm

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Fully agree. Although getting shocks right now is like getting people awake from their woke status. Good luck. My favorite is the Khaos shocks and limiter on a Pro. Or a Pro limiter on a Khaos sled if sled has Khaos rail profile.

Carls has a very good revalve on the Velocities.

I stand by the Dragon to Pro chassis comparison. This sled requires much different shocks settings on the Danforth compared to Axys. We cranked up FTS back then too.

Hmmm
Yep i snowchecked my shocks through burandts store.

Order in June delivery in December.

PSI 800

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 1, 2015
north west british columbia
Interesting, a few guys here are having the opposite, cant keep the front end down. they are riding NA non-kaos sleds but the front end is acting like a kaos. I think Polaris is so far behind in deliveries," havent got mine yet" that the shock calibrations are all over the map as far as set up.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
It's very difficult to get a 163 Poo to lift the front end no matter how you approach the setup. They kick ass on the mountain because they are designed to provide minimum ski-lift and keep the majority of the track on the snow. A 155 is a different animal altogether, if you want playful go 155".

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
It's very difficult to get a 163 Poo to lift the front end no matter how you approach the setup. They kick ass on the mountain because they are designed to provide minimum ski-lift and keep the majority of the track on the snow. A 155 is a different animal altogether, if you want playful go 155".
I think all the different reports are likely related to snow conditions and base conditions or lack thereof.

Deep, wet, steep, good grippy base? Lots of ski lift
Deep, dry, steep, ok base? Medium lift
Deep, dry, low angle, not much base? Not much lift
Shallow, dry, low angle, no base? Nearly zero lift

Ad infinitum……

In short i run 162-165 on my sleds with as much lift as possible. (Lots with boost)

But a simple adjustment gets me ski pressure for when I want it.

Last edited:
J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Maybe it’s not the sled, Perhaps you should consider becoming a better rider, or maybe lose some weight.
So let me get this straight...you are saying that a bigger, heavier person is not going to compress the rear suspension more, dig the track deeper and get more ski lift? Because that's the single problem I've seen bigger dudes have...too much ski lift. You must have found a way to reverse physics and moment-based forces...which is waaaaay better than doing suspension mods.

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
So let me get this straight...you are saying that a bigger, heavier person is not going to compress the rear suspension more, dig the track deeper and get more ski lift? Because that's the single problem I've seen bigger dudes have...too much ski lift. You must have found a way to reverse physics and moment-based forces...which is waaaaay better than doing suspension mods.

I’m gonna double my food intake!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Cranked my buddy's fts almost all the way from day one. The first day in a few feet of powder it was awesome. You could tell it was heavier than stock 850 but still great. Second time there was 4 to 6 inches on a base and it felt like a boat anchor compared to stock. Stock kaos 165 felt waaay lighter and still a hoot. The turbo still has plenty of steering with fts tightened waaay up. We are going to take 25 pounds out between battery and diamond s but i think it is going to need kaos geometry to lighten it up. Marketing ploy by polaris so they had something to offer for second year besides bng.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
I think all the different reports are likely related to snow conditions and base conditions or lack thereof.

Deep, wet, steep, good grippy base? Lots of ski lift
Deep, dry, steep, ok base? Medium lift
Deep, dry, low angle, not much base? Not much lift
Shallow, dry, low angle, no base? Nearly zero lift

Ad infinitum……

In short i run 162-165 on my sleds with as much lift as possible. (Lots with boost)

But a simple adjustment gets me ski pressure for when I want it.

Exactly. Then throw in centralized mass in the design and build of the sled….

Once people realize this sled is much different than a tunnel cut-clutched and suspensioned Axys and learn to adjust suspension and ride it, these woke complaints will cease.

C
Dec 14, 2020
Why is everyone so scared to move all their shock settings?

I've never seen 1 come out of the factory with the springs set anywhere specific. They just toss a little preload and figure the rider will adjust it.

It's suspension, not going to kill you too play with it and figure out what you need.

Then again, why buy a pro and complain it's not playful? It's like buying a kaos and complaining it's pulling the skis.

Premium Features