• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

16 relay/electrical questions

S
Dec 2, 2007
forest lake, mn
Looking at buying a new to me used sled, just sold my 14 pro. Found a good deal on a '16 pro rmk 800 with low miles. The relay/electrical issues scare me a bit. Can these sleds be made reliable? Were these issues fixed for the 17 or 18 model years? Any input appreciated. Thanks in advance.

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
me and my riding buddy both have a 16 and never had problems. we check the relays once in a while and we switched the polaris chinese relays for Japanese one.

never had issues with both sled.

I switched from a pro to the axys and man I would never go back

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Looking at buying a new to me used sled, just sold my 14 pro. Found a good deal on a '16 pro rmk 800 with low miles. The relay/electrical issues scare me a bit. Can these sleds be made reliable? Were these issues fixed for the 17 or 18 model years? Any input appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I’ve swapped my relays on the hill. (Because my rpm was 400 low)

Never had to tow out an axys like i towed out 6-7 pro’s with blown motors though........

18-20 800’s have sealed relays from the factory.

It’s just the ability of the internet to hyper focus on an issue.

S
Dec 2, 2007
forest lake, mn
I get the internet issue sheet metal, i have worked in seevice of cars, motorsports and now diesels for 20 plus years. i actually got burned in this issue back in 2017 though, my dragon voltage regulator pooped out in the hill on the scond day of my vacation, no parts available since it was puking snow. so i drove from togwotee to performance motor sports in idaho to pick up a 2016 sks demo they had there. Well it apparently had this issue so i left there at closing time with no sled.... spent two days in a hotel in Jackson because the pass had closed in the meantime so i couldnt get back to my buddy's cabin. I read through all 17 pages of the thread on this issue and no one really says whether they've solved this issue on a 16 or if its an on going problem. I guess what im asking is would it stop anyome from buying a 16???

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I get the internet issue sheet metal, i have worked in seevice of cars, motorsports and now diesels for 20 plus years. i actually got burned in this issue back in 2017 though, my dragon voltage regulator pooped out in the hill on the scond day of my vacation, no parts available since it was puking snow. so i drove from togwotee to performance motor sports in idaho to pick up a 2016 sks demo they had there. Well it apparently had this issue so i left there at closing time with no sled.... spent two days in a hotel in Jackson because the pass had closed in the meantime so i couldnt get back to my buddy's cabin. I read through all 17 pages of the thread on this issue and no one really says whether they've solved this issue on a 16 or if its an on going problem. I guess what im asking is would it stop anyome from buying a 16???

Link to thread?

The “issue” usually is fixed by swapping the EV relay with the headlight relay. (30 seconds)

That’s how I have done it on the hill.

After buying panasonic relays (cheaper than poo oem) I haven’t had to deal with it since.

I currently own my second 2016.

S
Dec 2, 2007
forest lake, mn
Here's the thread i am referring to on this:

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Here's the thread i am referring to on this:
Here’s all you need from that entire thread.

Snowman.PRO.

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2015
MN
Sheetmetal is spot on what he's saying here.

I have a 16 axys and swapped relays. I never had a failure, just did it for preventive maintenance.

S
Dec 2, 2007
forest lake, mn
So, bought a 17 axys rmk 522 miles on it and extended warranty til end of next month. Guess what? No handwarmers or high beams. I assume an easy relay fix and getting a good deal so i buy it anyways. Figured if it wasnt the relay then the extended warranty would cover it right? Well..... Load shed relay above the clutch was MISSING, just one rusted pin from the relay left seized in the harness connector. After an hour and a half of fighting i got the old pin out, new relays in and she's fixed.

20210107_214319.jpg

800poodragon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
I was anticipating having issues with my relays several years ago and bought extras off the internet.. package of 10 for less than Polaris sells one for. Never had to change one.. still have the whole package sitting in my garage.

G
Dec 20, 2007
So, bought a 17 axys rmk 522 miles on it and extended warranty til end of next month. Guess what? No handwarmers or high beams. I assume an easy relay fix and getting a good deal so i buy it anyways. Figured if it wasnt the relay then the extended warranty would cover it right? Well..... Load shed relay above the clutch was MISSING, just one rusted pin from the relay left seized in the harness connector. After an hour and a half of fighting i got the old pin out, new relays in and she's fixed.
Holy Smokes Seef! was your sled stored next to a salt factory!

sorry for the humour; this is not a relay issue but someone with creative mechanic skills own it before. Not sure how that could happen with the clutch looking like that

S
Dec 2, 2007
forest lake, mn
Holy Smokes Seef! was your sled stored next to a salt factory!

sorry for the humour; this is not a relay issue but someone with creative mechanic skills own it before. Not sure how that could happen with the clutch looking like that
Hey griz no hard feelings, i can take a joke. This thing was definitely hauled around uncovered......

Premium Features