• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1150 Cutler or others?

T
Aug 8, 2011
Hi guys, I am looking for information on 1150 big bores. I am looking to buy one. I would like to know more information on which kits were the best, how many miles they would run, what failed when they broke and just any general information.

Also, I have heard they are hard on clutches? Whats the cure for that.

Thanks!

Jake

Meatman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I just got rid of a 975 top that would upset most 1150s

Meatman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
However I do have a great bottom end to start your build with unless you already have one

oil delete
boysen rad valves
trued and welded crank
I'll even leave the primary on it for ya.

K

kingkat1150

Jan 27, 2010
belgrade mt
1150 CPC

I have had mine since dec 2004 and still run it. Yes i have been though cranks but morso for security than breakage. I broke 3 in over 10.000 miles but when you put 10lbs of crap in a 5lb bag that's what happens. Jeff a Dakota performance sold me mine and with both of our tips and tricks they run hard and the people that know these sleds of ours will back it. I for one will keep running mine it is kinda like an old muscle car deal. Pm me if you want to know a little more.

Cheers :face-icon-small-ton

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
Take a look at Cutlers websight and see if you really want one? A break-in that must be adhered to religiously with those forged pistons! Remember the overall weight of the engine goes up with those custom jugs and head. Really a well put together 975 may be the way to go, really no weight gain up front with plenty of torque! Really is what I would like to see is a set of 88mm Wossner pistons to make a 925! At least you have one more overbore to the 975! Union Bay made a good replica of Cutlers and are known to hold together just fine! But like you said clutches can take a toll with the extra vibes.

Mike

T
Aug 8, 2011
So what cylinder is the 975 built from? Im really not set on any one topend setup...Basically I am wedging these motors in the Skidoo XP/XM chassis and am wanting more information about them. I am thinking I want to do an 1150 with a turbo for my mod this spring...generally the bigger the better for a boost setup so I figured 1150. Am I headed the wrong way? As far as forged pistons, I like them for the boost motors. They are tougher and can deal with more deto without failure. I can loosen the motor up a bit to help with the break in blues.

What carburator seems to be the best on these motors?

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
for what its worth knowing where your going, just boost your 800r and run another pound or so of boost and save yourself the headaches. NA i think its a cool idea! just if its going boost i think your asking for trouble, the 800r is a killer motor with some pressure behind it, at 10# there isnt much you cant go up and they rail in the trees. JMHO

T
Aug 8, 2011
I have an 860r with a turbo that will stomp all comers. It is a fantastic boost motor, it leaps to power and flat rips. The problem has come as I hooked it to more and more traction (now a 174 3 inch) and started pushing it with bigger and bigger turbos it has become quite fragile. It either makes 75mph trackspeed or breaks components while doing so. Its slipping cranks and rotating clutches on the crank end even with every trick I know to keep it from happening.
I would like to get to the tougher big Zuke motor. Not for more power, simply for similar power with a more reliable bottom end.

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
So what cylinder is the 975 built from? Im really not set on any one topend setup...Basically I am wedging these motors in the Skidoo XP/XM chassis and am wanting more information about them. I am thinking I want to do an 1150 with a turbo for my mod this spring...generally the bigger the better for a boost setup so I figured 1150. Am I headed the wrong way? As far as forged pistons, I like them for the boost motors. They are tougher and can deal with more deto without failure. I can loosen the motor up a bit to help with the break in blues.

What carburator seems to be the best on these motors?

The 975 is the stock cylinder bored out. It runs the M1000 piston, and requires a shim to raise the cylinder. Works very well. Ours with a single pipe, can, reeds and head mods run with a lightly modded M1000.

Meatman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Idcatman did my 975 and both him and his son helped me out a lot, they do great work and know what they are doing with 975s. I dont know what kind of space you have to work with but the 54mm cpc really woke it up (like it needed it) plus they have a power jet on all three circuits to help tuning.

richardderkevorkian

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2010
Soldotna AK
That was another question I had, what are people running for carburators and size?

Thanks for all the info guys!

Jake

Its not going to handle turbo power. Me and my dad have one and just running at sea level they won't live. Pulls very hard though. We have had good luck running cat primarys with a billit spider and 911 billit cover plate. We had a crank built back east with an extra bearing on both ends of the crank and it seems to be doing better. 1500 miles and the cranks still straight. Before this crank we broke the pto end off of two and bent another one 40 thousands when a belt blew.
Best carbs seem to be psi big airs. Its almost impossible to get rid of the bog with cutlers carbs and cant make the hp with racks.

Premium Features