• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'10 M8 Will it get derated befor Production?

offtrail

Lifetime Membership
Back when Polaris first came out with their dragon 800 they were preaching it had 155 horse. Dynotech came back with a 147 ish number. This pre m8 has a dynoed160 plus. My question is with all the EPA requirements are they gonna be able to meet emissions and keep the Horsepower up there? Or are we gonna get a derated over hyped 800 like Poo did to their customers? What do you guys think?

B
Dec 21, 2006
It is not a shim kit. Y-pipe and pipe are different. Lighter crank, different mapping. They might have included some other things but that is the jist of it.

B
Nov 26, 2007
whole new motor to my understanding the pistons, exhaust valves, cylinders, crank, mapping and exhaust are all different from the 09's.

iluv2fly

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
They should be ok. They just copied D&D shim kit to get the HP. I did the kit this year on my M8/ 2009, works extremely well. D&D dyno sheet shows the hp.

By no means is the 2010 just a shim kit, the whole engine is different. Higher compression and much better porting just for starters.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
The difference here is that Cat is claiming 155-160 and Dynotech is saying 163.

Quite a few changes, but the 2009 model had a lot of pent up HP that could be unleashed easily.

I don't think it is so far fetched to get another 12-15 HP out of this motor. It has different mapping, porting, y pipe, pipe, can, pistons, and crank.

Stack

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Midwest
They should be ok. They just copied D&D shim kit to get the HP. I did the kit this year on my M8/ 2009, works extremely well. D&D dyno sheet shows the hp.

Yes, spoken like someone who really knows what he is talking about:eek:

Maybe just a little more than a shim kit.....Don't ya think?

Much of the weight change came from the 4.3 pounds lighter weight crankshaft. That means the engine spins more quickly, which accounts for the noticeable increase in acceleration. You’ll find the engine was fitted with new pistons, cylinders, head and revised exhaust valve reed petals. The electronic fuel injection was revamped and remapped and, of course, the exhaust was redone to accommodate the upgrades.

Im sure you just overlooked these things right?

A
Mar 1, 2009
Alaska
Maybe I am drinking the green Kool-Aid, but if cat claims a HP I believe it.
They have been proven conservative on the Z1 Turbo, M8, M1000 where as Poo and Doo exaggerate.

Stack

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Midwest
I have at least seen the pre-production dyno graph, and regardless if it hits 160 HP or not I love the steady climb in HP that it has. This does not seem at all like a peaky motor which hits 160 and looks like Mt. Everest on the graph. I think its going to be an animal, probably in the 157-160 HP range

John

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
2010 M8,s

OK I have put about 75- 100 miles on the 2010 and I have not found any one who was not impressed. I normally only ride a turbo but the new sleds are very impressive. They have m1000 Grunt Ported M8 Responsiveness. I love the sled We drag raced all day and the only thing that beat them was the turbo's. Then get it in the steep and deep they are fun Well we could not find deep but steep wet heavy snow they just keep pulling.So hear it is wanna a turbo buy a hold over want a stock out of the box sled that rips get in to your dealer and snow check one.

Premium Features