• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 d800 has blown up twice in 125 miles!!!!!!!

T
Oct 7, 2009
I rode my sled 350 miles last year with no problems and this year with the update kit it has blown up twice in 125 miles. I added a Fire n Ice air intake kit this year to it and it had a slp single pipe and can on it already. After the first melt down I added a PCV and downloaded a new fuel map from slp but it blew up in 13 miles on the trail! I would like to know what is going on in the engine. Has anyone put a pyrometer or a air/fuel gauge on a dragon? Any other advice is welcome.

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
I imagine you are lean, my question is how can you put a fuel controller on a sled and not have a a/f sensor or exhaust temp? sounds like suicide to me

T
Oct 7, 2009
the PCV came with a pre loaded fuel map made by slp for my setup so I trusted it would be right. We cant ruel out oil pump or air lock in the antifreeze yet. But ya I certainly want to know what it is doing at all times now so I will be putting those gauges on.

R

R44guy

Oct 8, 2008
MN
www.mnhelicopters.com
Tyrod, what elevation were you riding at when it happened? and how were you riding or at what rpm were you at when it happened? At mid range rpms there has been a severe lean spot so if you were holding it steady in that rpm range it could happen? This has happened to many D8's with out a PCV.

I guess I would be surprised if that happened with a PCV. You may not have a fuel map issue? Did you notice if your dash lights went dim or out or your head light got bright or burned out? If so you may have a voltage regulator failure? In many cases if your VR failed the ECU may fry as well. This is all just speculation just some common failures. I have seen some bad gas for the last few years too.

Depending on your dealer you may want to return your sled to stock since the dealers have been reporting the use of the aftermarket componets to Polaris who has been voiding some warranty coverage. You may want to take some time and return it to stock just to play it safe just in case IMO. Please let us know what the failure is here on the 4m when you find out. Good luck and sorry to hear about your sled.

H
Jan 9, 2003
Sparks, Nevada
Also you should check and make sure your ethanol wires are unplugged. If they are plugged together this will give you a lean condition.. The dealer may have plugged them together when they did the update.

Premium Features