• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 D8 airbox removal??

T
Feb 28, 2008
Is there a trick to getting this thing out or what?? Can't seem to get it out. Trying to get it out to install SLP Powder Valves. Any help would be great!!!

T
Mar 3, 2008
burnsville mn
yeah i had a hard time getting mine out also, seemed to help to tip the top towards the front of the sled. i worked on that thing forever and then one time it just popped out.WTF? putting it back in seemed very easy, i thought that was gonna be twice as hard as gettin it out, but it popped in right awa y with no struggle at all. better lucky than good i guess. i did wet the boots that go onto the carbs to help get it on though. just try pulling pushing at different angles, you'll find the right one and it will pop right off

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
yeah i had a hard time getting mine out also, seemed to help to tip the top towards the front of the sled. i worked on that thing forever and then one time it just popped out.WTF? putting it back in seemed very easy, i thought that was gonna be twice as hard as gettin it out, but it popped in right awa y with no struggle at all. better lucky than good i guess. i did wet the boots that go onto the carbs to help get it on though. just try pulling pushing at different angles, you'll find the right one and it will pop right off

if it is like the 08's just loosen the clamps on the boots, undo the bolt and unclip the fuel lines and tip it forward and pull up..once out pop out the dart at the lower frt and the plate with the boots will slide right out..on reinstall, install the boot plate and tighten clamps..then just slide box straight down on boot plate..leave dart out and then rebolt /clip lines and install rubber...

T
Feb 28, 2008
one of biggest problems is getting to the screws on the boot clamps. they seem to be at such an angle i can't even get a screwdriver to them!!!!

Super Dave3

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2003
Klamath Falls OR
I have never loosened the boot clamps to get the airbox off.
Once you have the fuel lines out of the way just pull straight up on the airbox and leave the boots still attatched.

800poodragon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
I messed around trying to get the airbox off for awhile then just went ahead and cut in the powder valves without removing the airbox...actually was not all that bad...taped over the venturis so nothing could get in then while cutting the holes used a shop vac to suck everything out...

N
Nov 7, 2008
take you silencer out and you can get at the clamp through the side, and on the clutch side, best to just pull your secondary off, only takes a minute, on the metal shield behind the secondary (between clutch area and engine) you will see a small hole punched in it, ( approx 3/4 or 1 inch) straight shot to the other clamp with screwdriver or nut driver.

hope that helps

T
Feb 28, 2008
Well, I have two hours trying to get this @#%$@# thing out and no luck!!!!! I miss my old EDGE right now!!!! I am thinking this thing is going to break before it comes out!!!!! Any other ideas??? Wondering if it is even worth the effort!!!!:mad:

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
take the cover off the clutch cover (electronics) it makes it easier to remove the bolt for the upper fuel line and pull the fuel filter from from its hanger on the air box, also helps to turn the skis to the left

N

northerns4

Nov 21, 2008
Hey can anyone confirm whether or not the airbox has a drain on the bottom? If so where is it, what's it look like, etc. I was told there may be but for the life of me I see nothing.

I got some really bad snow ingestion last ride which, now melted, is a big puddle of water in the bottom of my airbox.

I've got a timbersled intake and slp powder valves on the way, but would like to ride my sled now. If there is a drain it would ace me having to pull the airbox twice.

Thanks!!!

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
yup, i forgot about that, couldn't barely get to mine either, made darn sure when i put them back in they were at the right angle

I dont under stand it, ive worked on quads, sleds, all sorts of brands and there always is hose clamp screws you cant get to with a screw driver! And there is nothing bolt on in the way to get to them eather, i always put them back on so i can get to them again, i dont know why they dont send them out from the factory like that

T

ttyR2

Nov 26, 2007
So the '09 airbox is different than the '08 700RMK? On mine, I pulled off the plastic electronics cover, took the bolt and plastic bracket off holding the FI filter, took off the MAF sendor, released the rubber strap on the back of the airbox and wiggled it up and forward (kind of a rotating motion) while guiding the fuel lines out of the way. Was easy. Mine does have the seperate plate/boots that stay attached to the throttlebodies though. I left those attached to the throttles.

Now...adjusting the oil pump is a different story :p

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Just did the powder valves last night without taking the box out. Really easy actually. Just used a dremel and utility knife to get in there. Obviously took off the plastic console that wraps around the steering post...

Premium Features