• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 155 D8 Upgrade Advice Needed

D
Feb 12, 2009
Kemmerer, WY
I am having trouble deciding on a couple of upgrades and could use some advice.

1)Considering Fox EVOL R front shocks. I have read mostly positive stuff here on them, but a number of people say they are junk. My main considerations are being able to set them up, not having to be messing around with pressures much at all out riding, and not make sidehilling any harder. I am not a whole lot more then a beginner but ride in fairly extreme country with very good riders and find the "soft" Walkers pretty good for sidehilling anyways.

2) I would like a little more low end snap, but really don't want to sacrifice much track speed for climbing anyways. Considering a slight gear down from stock 41/19s to 42/19s. I currently have a SLP single/can, most all of the SLP vents etc, and VForce3 reeds. I would say it's a pretty good running sled, but would like a little more. It was all set up by a dealer and I am really not sure what he did with the clutch. I would assume I would need some clutch work if I did the gear change? I read nothing but good things on this side about Carls clutch set up??

One last question concerns the fuel "jumper wire". Dealer said to run with it unplugged which according to my findings is for running ethanol blend fuel on a stock sled anyways. Should this be plugged in for good 91 octane gas? I am not sure how the engine upgrade repairs would effect this either.

Sorry for being so long winded, any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

sleddude

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima WA
gearing

I had 19/41 on my 900 and went to a 42 on the bottom gear but didn't notice much change. It does fit better and not have as much slack in the chain with the 19/42. I'd go either 43 on the bottom or find out if you can go to a 18 on the top.

D
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, WA
Don't get me wrong I think Carl's has their stuff together, but clutching these sleds isn't as easy as throwing "Carl'sKit" at it, believe me I tried. I have the same SLP single etc. The biggest difference I have noticed is going to either MTX weights or Ron's custom built weights. You're right about the ethanol jumper, if you're running any fuel with ethanol you need those wires plugged in, if you're not running ethanol unplug it.

R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
I am having trouble deciding on a couple of upgrades and could use some advice.

1)Considering Fox EVOL R front shocks. I have read mostly positive stuff here on them, but a number of people say they are junk. My main considerations are being able to set them up, not having to be messing around with pressures much at all out riding, and not make sidehilling any harder. I am not a whole lot more then a beginner but ride in fairly extreme country with very good riders and find the "soft" Walkers pretty good for sidehilling anyways.
The Evol R would be overkill for your type of riding, get the Fox Floats if you want new shocks. SW'er PenguinPoo had the Evol's on his sled last year and didn't like them at all-he is an advanced rider, ex Poo mechanic, PM him if you want more info.

2) I would like a little more low end snap, but really don't want to sacrifice much track speed for climbing anyways. Considering a slight gear down from stock 41/19s to 42/19s. I currently have a SLP single/can, most all of the SLP vents etc, and VForce3 reeds. I would say it's a pretty good running sled, but would like a little more. It was all set up by a dealer and I am really not sure what he did with the clutch. I would assume I would need some clutch work if I did the gear change? I read nothing but good things on this side about Carls clutch set up??
This is way more complicated but IMO you shouldn't gear down from stock and won't gain any low end snap except maybe in some types of firmer snow. The issue with clutching on the 08/09 sleds is more about getting the sled to "hook-up" quickly-stock they have a tendency to trench in powder and spin on hardpack. Gearing down will only make it worse. Another issue was clutch heat-since the clutches aren't in sync they build heat, belts get hot, R's drop and performance is reduced. Some sleds were worse than others and those sleds that scuffed a piston were down on power too. Getting the right clutch setup can improve overall performance, including more snap on bottom end. PM me an email address & I'll send you some info on clutch tuning.
One last question concerns the fuel "jumper wire". Dealer said to run with it unplugged which according to my findings is for running ethanol blend fuel on a stock sled anyways. Should this be plugged in for good 91 octane gas? I am not sure how the engine upgrade repairs would effect this either.
If you can buy non Ethanol high octane fuel and run with the jumper plugged in you will get better economy and more HP, maybe as much power as you gained adding the SLP single.
High octane ethanol fuel then run with the jumpers unplugged, the sled needs more fuel or you risk a lean condition on a sled that already is too lean in some conditions. Higher octane changes the detonation point but doesn't compensate for a lean condition that can increase detonation as well as create more chance of piston scuffing-ala last year.

Sorry for being so long winded, any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Good luck, nothing like an early start!

Last edited:

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I agree with Ron on the shocks. I really like the Evol R shocks for my D8. You get the Fox Float with the addition of rebound adjustment (for $300 more). This means that once you find the right air pressure, you can adjust the rebound on the fly (w/o changing air pressure with the pump). This is awesome in the bumps, trails and spring conditions. Then when you get to the powder you can lower the rebound for sweet powder turns.

As for the low end snap, it might be worth waiting on the update before moving forward. I will likely do a fuel controller, but I need to see where I'm at after the update.

800poodragon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
For low end snap you will need to get rid of the stock track...spins to much a good part of the time. World of difference. I went with the 2.5 Camo Extreme. I also did change gearing in my 08, used Carls helix and Rons weights and I love it. Everybody that rides it does not want to stop.

Premium Features