• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'08 RMK stock front shocks... too soft?

R
Apr 24, 2008
Douglas County, Minnesota
Hi folks. I just got a new (to me) sled this spring and I really like it. It's an '08 600 HO RMK with a 144". It's the newest thing I've ever owned, so I'm pretty proud of it.

WesternAdventure09066.jpg

WesternAdventure09217.jpg

I'd just like to ask some of the Polaris gurus how they feel about the way the front suspension is set up from the factory. I feel like the front suspension is too soft. It is really nice on bumpy trails, but when I'm maneuvering around offtrail, it seems like the sled is always leaning over where I don't want it to go. Especially in slow speed turning, the sled always collapses to the downhill side which makes it difficult to roll on edge to the uphill side. This definitely causes problems when the gravitational pull of a treewell overwhelms the suspension:

DSC01768.jpg

I'm usually a pretty nondiscerning rider who is just satisfied with stock sleds, but I'd really like to address this problem. Is it even a problem? Maybe I'm just not used to the chassis? Are these sleds too soft in the front from the factory? Do the shocks need to be revalved, or would tightening the spring preload solve the problem? Some advice would be appreciated! (Please don't tell me I need to get $2,000 worth of aftermarket parts. I'm not that hardcore.)

L
Mar 13, 2004
Lake Cle Elum, WA
Blame the lack of a sway bar, not the shocks.....They were designed this way to make it easier to carve and throw you weight around. The trait you mention is a downside to the newer design.

I have some new Dragon front shocks (WE) on my '04 800 Edge. I'm pretty happy with them.

B
Dec 21, 2007
Stuff

Do you have the Walkers or the Ryde FX. Make sure you have the sway bar. I bought a sled without and hated it untill I put one back in. If you have Ryde twist the springs the Walkers SUCK in my opinion way to soft. You can try adding pressure but it does not do much.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Crank up the springs #1.... second, I think that is partially the manner of the sled. It is very easy to throw around. I think once you used to it, you will love it... I noticed that right away too.

I have a buddy that went from an Edge to a Dragon, and it took him almost a year to get fully used to the sled. Now he wont go back.

Roadbuilder

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
Sway Bar

I'm going through the same thing, I just put on the heavy duty sway bar. I got it from Carl's cycle, it was in there on line catalog and when it came it actually was a polaris part number. It does help, then turn up the spring preasure to suit you.

This made a noticible difference for the money.

Premium Features