• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

08 M8 Clutch Question

H
Dec 27, 2007
South Dakota
Just wondering if anyone has seen the primary and secondary clutches get chewed up both at the same time with no damage to the belt. Less than 400 miles on the sled; hadn't even taken the clutch guard off until today when I noticed it was bogging down and notice both clutches chewed up.

Will this effect the crank balancing?

Has anyone else seen this?

P2151625.jpg P2151627.jpg

Last edited:

catsclimbtrees

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2009
Sherwood Park, Alberta
I got some marks from one of those high dollar clips in the hood, the one that holds the insulation in the hood. Took out all the insulation, except where my pipe contacts my hood and got rid of all the clips, just "Gooped" the insulation there. How chewed up are your clutches?

catsclimbtrees

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2009
Sherwood Park, Alberta
FACK, they are chewed up....don't know what to say, I think they are beyond touching them up with a scotchbrite.....I had a buddy that used a steel wool pad and took all the rough edges off and his clutch is still working well, but I don't know if it was that bad.
IDK...
Get a magnet and find out what did that, it must be laying in the belly pan somewhere.

B
Jan 15, 2008
Covington, WA
Yikes! Sure am glad I stripped those clips out from under my hood. Hope you can save them but, it looks like those clutches are beyond repair, man. Thanks for showing the rest of us what can happen.

C
Feb 1, 2008
Warranty

If you have a good dealer then they will be able to get your clutches replaced under warranty. Poor design on the hood clips. From now on I would recommend silicone on the clips and I have heard of others using short wood screws and/or small bolts and nuts. Feel your frustration.:(

Premium Features