• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

08 D8 went to sleep.....

M
Dec 10, 2007
Herriman, UT
I upgraded my sled with the following...

- SLP single w/can
- Clutching changes required with the SLP single (Team secondary helix, blue/pink primary & black/white secondary springs, MTX weights with 2g outside and 1g inside)
- SLP big air intake kit

Before changes, I was running at 8100 RPMs max and my sled was very responsive on the throttle.

After "upgrades", I'm running at 7800 RPMs max and my sled is not responsive as it used to be. I can feel the power but it feels like it's being "held back." Like my sled went to "sleep" instead of "waking it up", power wise. The throttle response feels like it is 1 second slower and it takes longer to reach the same power I had before I made the changes. My buddy's 05 800 ran better and stronger than my sled when we went out yesterday.

NOTE: I did not add the delrin washers. (I still don't understand where they go, to be exact.) I run at 7,000 feet and higher.

Can anyone help me out here? Anyone who knows exactly what I'm talking about and can make the right recommendations to wake my sled up again.

R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
Unless you have a scored a piston it's your clutching. SLP provides a "guide" & it's not always accurate. You might try removing a gram on the outside & put the stock Bl/purple secondary spring back in the driven. The delrins go on either end of the spring. If that doesn't work PM me with the angles of the helix and I'll give you my setup info.

M
Dec 10, 2007
Herriman, UT
Unless you have a scored a piston it's your clutching. SLP provides a "guide" & it's not always accurate. You might try removing a gram on the outside & put the stock Bl/purple secondary spring back in the driven. The delrins go on either end of the spring. If that doesn't work PM me with the angles of the helix and I'll give you my setup info.

I took my sled in to have it checked for any scoring or browning before I added the SLP single and clutching changes this past weekend. TriCityPerformance took everything apart and found absolutely nothing wrong. Not even a brown spot and this is with 800 miles on the sled.

I'll PM you and would like your setup info. I assume you have the same sled as I do. 08 Dragon 800 163".

Anyone else?

I

IDAHO HOT SHOT

Jan 21, 2009
South of Bellevue...way south
Last weekend we played with some different helix cuts. We found that the 40 deg worked the best. Send a PM to MTDAD. This guy knows his $hit. You should also check your TPS and the other sensor that is linked to that. I have never hear of an SLP single not working. Also call the Techies at Carl's Cycle in Boise, they are pretty sharp also. 208-853-5550:light:

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
I am betting it is an engine issue even given what you said about the TCP guys checking it out. Mine did the same thing with a similar set up last year. It had lost compression from piston issues. Did TCP check your compression?

P
Nov 27, 2007
Blue pink primary stock secondary spring and helix
with 62 gram weights at 7000 ft should run about
8100-8300 rpm 64 gram weights between 3000-6000 ft

works on my 163 anyways

M
Dec 10, 2007
Herriman, UT
It's all about the clutching. I found out I was given the wrong helix. I was given a .46 helix instead of a .36 to .40. The new helix change coupled with some spring and weight changes will do the trick.

Idaho Hot Shot is right. And engine problems or fuel types aren't the issues.

Off to the mountains now.

Premium Features