• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

05 900 rmk set up

G

ghostwhite

Feb 12, 2009
Baghdad, Iraq
Hey guys,

First post so far and I have a couple ?s

I have a 2005 polaris rmk 900 IQ bone stock

First off what is the best adjustment setting for riding out in North Dakota. We have powder and large hill drifts to climb but it takes some cross country riding to get to them. The problem i'm having is the sled doesnt like to turn too well at any speed. It feels like it would rather roll over and I feel like i gotta baby it in any amount of snow that i cant boondock and any off-camber trail turns dont go too well.

Whats the best way to change its handling a little bit without ruining its climbing and boondocking abilities?

and i already know getting some parts for weight reduction are gonna help this but if i can just adjust the susp. it'd be helpful for now

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
tighten or stiffen the front spring preload, also might want to change skis depending on what you have. lots of guys like the powder pros but the simmons gen 2 are good too. you can also let the limiter strap out a little.

Last edited:
G

ghostwhite

Feb 12, 2009
Baghdad, Iraq
I have done a few searches and read through almost every rmk 900 thread i could find but I dont know the sled terminoligy yet such as trenching and other terms. I dont know really what to call what i'm feeling. feels like it wants to highside. I dont know what the front and rear susp. are set at right now. Whats a are the stock settings and the best way to reset the susp?

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
dawg..
thread no worky..

ghost...
lost of 900 info on here..dawg hit all but a few things..

1.get good front shocks that are rebuildable..AFTER you get good shocks, remove your sway bar..
2. Holz Spindles have a better geometry and will be much easier to steer
3. install a 225lb front track spring
4. for overall skid setting, use middle hole on limiter strap (upper is trail, middle general, lower is hillclimbing (but no steering on trails)

hope this helps.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I have done a few searches and read through almost every rmk 900 thread i could find but I dont know the sled terminoligy yet such as trenching and other terms. I dont know really what to call what i'm feeling. feels like it wants to highside. I dont know what the front and rear susp. are set at right now. Whats a are the stock settings and the best way to reset the susp?

If it is stock then replace the front shock with the 225 spring. About $30.

Some people left the sway bar alone, put the stiffer FUSION sway bar , removed the sway bar completely.

Vent the crap out of it.

There is an easy 100 topics about the 900 on here.

Another website from snowest was created because of so much talk about the 900.

http://www.takeforum.com/900club/index.php?mforum=900club

G

ghostwhite

Feb 12, 2009
Baghdad, Iraq
Thanks for all the info guys

I am gonna order some ice scratchers on monday and now I need a lower control arm on the left side. It broke right where the sway bar bracket attaches.

Should I just get a stock 05 control arm or can i replace both the lowers with a new one that keeps the same geometry?

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
get what you can afford right now..

if you get a deal on some 05's get it..

if not, buy the 09s..there is some 05 ones on ebay..about $100 each side..

good luck

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
EBAY MAN....

i did compare a few parts between Carls and Babbits..Babbits was cheapest on all of them..by far the best route...they will get my business from now on..

hope you get the part you need..wish i had one to help you out with but i dont..

G

ghostwhite

Feb 12, 2009
Baghdad, Iraq
well i got my a arm from the dealer in order to save time so thats taken care of. Thank you guys for the info though!

I have been looking around for info on risers and the only ? i have left is whether the block will bolt right up or you have to get a pivot adapter for the block to the steering post. I know i need cables and extend the wiring for anything more than 3" and I am looking to get an 8 inch.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
the BLOCK style riser will fit the post fine..AS LONG as it is for polaris models..they are all diff widths ect..

or you can go with a polaris pivot adapter with pivot riders..

i have a pivot block, and 3" fly risers i just took off to use diff bars ($40/shipped)..(all black) PM me if your interested (with email for pics)

G

ghostwhite

Feb 12, 2009
Baghdad, Iraq
hey guido thank you for the super quick reply! I would take your block off your hands but i am looking to go at least 7".

Any suggestions for good brake lines? or the best way to resplice the wiring?

I am already trying to get the throttle oiler cable from fbf

G

ghostwhite

Feb 12, 2009
Baghdad, Iraq
I know you can keep the stock cables for a 3" rise. I posted that i was goin with at least a 7" inch rise which means i need a new brake line. i now have an 8" riser in the mail and hopefully I am able to get the pivot adapter from guido. I need to know how long of brake line to get.

Thanks

Premium Features