• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

01 XC 800 SP - Changing Cyl Base Gaskets

J
Nov 7, 2009
My sled just started leaking coolant from the base gasket on the PTO Cyl. I checked the nuts and they did not seem tight enough so I tightened them some. This reduced, but did not stop the leak.

Per the prior owner, the pistons and rings were just replaced a few hundred miles ago. I pulled the cylinders off and the base gaskets are in very poor condition. I assume they were replaced (gaskets tore apart when I removed, so I don't think he could have re-used them) when the pistons/rings were replaced and am concerned that they failed so quickly.

I have a Polaris Svc Manual, but have a few questions.

Any suggestions on how to remove the gasket materials from the Crankcase and Cylinders w/o damaging the gasket surfaces?

I have ordered new cyl base gaskets from Polaris Dealer. Should I apply anything to the gaskets before installing them? If so, what?

Should the gasket surface be totally smooth, or would it be better to have some slight texture/scratches?

Ths SM says to torque the Cyl base nuts to (IIRC) 30-34 FP. I have a torque wrench, but I cannot get access to the exhaust side nuts with a socket. Any suggestions on how to know when I have them torqued properly?

S
Feb 8, 2011
clean crankcase and base cyl with sandpaper and dry it with brake cleaner
torque head bolt before cylinder bolt
check your cyl with lamp for be sure that no crack appear on it.

X
Jan 1, 2011
ND
I wouldn't use sandpaper to clean the base. Use a red scotchbrite. I've always heard sandpaper is too coarse, remember aluminum is soft. I always use a dull razor blade and scrape by pulling towards me then use a red scotchbrite with some carb cleaner. Try not to get too much down the crank though.

Mark's RMK

Lifetime Membership
May 5, 2010
Sturgeon Lake, MN
Gaskets

And then use the metal gaskets for replacement. They cost a little more but I think they are superior to the ones you are spending so much time trying to get cleaned off.

J
Nov 7, 2009
I wish you had replied a bit sooner. It is back together now with stock paper gaskets. I had no idea that metal gaskets were available.

Where could I buy them?

Brand/part?

J
Nov 7, 2009
Thanks for the info/part #.

I don't plan to tear mine apart just to change out the new paper gaskets, but if I ever have it apart again I would definately consider upgrading to the metal gaskets.

When I looked it up, the Part # is shown as fitting 2003-2005 800s.

Can anyone confirm it is definately OK to use on a 2001?

Thanks, Joel

Premium Features