• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

01 Polaris rmk 800 bogging and dieing issues??!!!??

S
Dec 14, 2007
ok i have a 2001 rmk 800 and it keeps wanting to bog then die at a certain rpm. It wants to bogg down and die at about 3000-4000 rpm if the throttle is held there for more than a second. It started happening some time between when a equalizer bottle was put on and the throttle slop was ajusted. The dealer ship said to blow the carbs out with air but i did that put the carbs back on and it still did the same thing. The throttle isnt held open at all ither so i really dont know what to do!

P
I just had the same problem 2 weeks ago on my rmk 800 it also is a 2001 what i found was a broken fuel pump diaphram and polaris does not sell just a rebuild kit you have to replace the pump if that your problem. Just open up the pump and take a look.

S
Dec 14, 2007
i havent checked the fuel pump and the jets where clean but i cant try it again till tomorrow so thanks for the help so far guys but keep posted i might need some more help

G
ok i have a 2001 rmk 800 and it keeps wanting to bog then die at a certain rpm. It wants to bogg down and die at about 3000-4000 rpm if the throttle is held there for more than a second. It started happening some time between when a equalizer bottle was put on and the throttle slop was ajusted. The dealer ship said to blow the carbs out with air but i did that put the carbs back on and it still did the same thing. The throttle isnt held open at all ither so i really dont know what to do!

If all you've done is add the boost bottle then the carbs need to be set up to accomodate the changes in air flow. I've used these bottles on a few different engines and they all needed tweeking. This is instructions from my SLP bottle (you can get this from their site also)
I hope this helps. Good Luck!
Craig.
The boost bottle, will cause the idle speed to increase. For
example, if it idles at 1600 RPM, when the bottle is installed the idle may increase to 2500 RPM.
This is caused by insufficient puddled fuel being converted to efficient atomized fuel by the boost
bottle. A good thing! Seldom ever does the pilot jet require changing when a bottle is installed. To
adjust properly the following must be done: 1) Idle must be reduced to proper RPM level by
adjusting the idle screw on Mikuni carbs to 1600-1800 RPM. If you try to reduce idle speed with
the air screw adjustment or pilot size and not idle adjustment, the optimum performance will not
be achieved. 2) Fuel screw adjustment needs to be adjusted at running temperature to achieve
the best throttle response. Fuel screw adjustment range is ½ turn (lean) to 2 ½ turns out (rich).
Testing at different settings will be worth while to accomplish the best performance instead of just
“setting to a given spec.” This way you can adjust for your particular atmosphere.

S
Dec 14, 2007
ok today i cleaned the carbs fully and tried it, same thing happened. Then checked the fuel pump and it was absolutly fine. one thing I tried that made a difference was unpluging the throttle saftey switch because i heard that they cut power to the sled if worn out so i did that and it worked the sled didnt die but it ran really rough at 4000-4500 rpm. So the boost bottle is the next thing ill try is take it off but i cant believe how it could make that much of a difference?

Premium Features