• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Battery for Apex??

S
Nov 26, 2007
Rental....shag
Battery for Apex?? "updated with info"

"updated below"

I know this has been posted before but...........

My Battcap battery took a dump on my TApex....It will not hold or take a charge...... so it is now stuck in the nose of my sled in the delta box until the next disassembly ( hope that is not for awhile).... my attempt at a lightweight battery has now become front end ballast..... I will be reinstalling the factory battery holder and a different battery.

What is the # for the 7 series battery that every one is running instead of the stocker..

Crappy thing is I just had the damn turbo/Delta box off.....#$%&##

Thanks in advance!

See my new post below for info that I found.

Last edited:
S
Nov 26, 2007
Rental....shag
Thanks,

Picked one up today. If I would have known about this one I would never have spent the money on the Battcap battery. In one day it goes from 12,4 volts to 3.0 volts just sitting there unhooked....what a pc of shttt!!

Now I have to figure out how to get a new battery holder... They are $250 bucks!!!

E
Nov 27, 2007
Western Washington
I was thinking that there are a lot of motorcycles, lawnmowers atv s that probably have a battery trey that would work and probably a lot less $
I think boondocker has one w/ their kits but probably not cheap either
what battery did you end up w/?

S
Nov 26, 2007
Rental....shag
I got the YTZ7s $85 bucks. Man it is nice and small. I am now thinking that I might yank out the battCap and put it in that location..... Its about a 10 hour job....turbo and header have to come off to get the Delta Box back and out to get to it...

I did find my stock battery holder and it can be reinstalled if needed.

leisureexpress

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 27, 2008
Not to cause trouble, but it may help this time of year....

Are you sure the YTZ7S is enough for your turbo Apex? I know people have used them in the RX1 turbos, but the Apex is more dependant on electricity with efi and after you add the turbo stuff your power needs may be maxed out. I know these systems need a consistent supply of power or issues will crop up that are hard to troubleshoot. Ya might consider a YTZ10S which is a little larger (~2lbs) than the 7, to give you a more stable power source.

I may be wrong, but it would not hurt to doublecheck with others if the 7 was adequate for your application.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I used the 7s all last winter and it worked fine on my Turbo Apex. Not one single hiccup.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Rental....shag
No question it was the wrong decision! Only thing I regret is relocating it to the nose under the delta box. Anyone have any experience or a easy way to get the damn thing out with out pulling the delta box? With the front mount the turbo and header have to be removed to slide the box back to get the bolts out of the holes......

S
Nov 26, 2007
Rental....shag
It sounds like alot of guys are just making the holes in the nose a bit bigger to get the battery in and out. I think I will go that route.

Ultralord.... I also know what your up to.... I talked to the transient yesterday!

U

Ultralord

Nov 26, 2007
Auburn WA
It sounds like alot of guys are just making the holes in the nose a bit bigger to get the battery in and out. I think I will go that route.

Ultralord.... I also know what your up to.... I talked to the transient yesterday!

hay thats not fair project nytro is top secret

S
Nov 26, 2007
Rental....shag
"Update"

Well I installed a new battery and here is what I found out.

The weights of batteries weighed on my scale.

YTZ7s =4.6 lbs 130 CCA $115
YTZ10s =6.8 lbs 190 CCA $120
Battcap 400 battery sold by Alpine =5.4 lbs POS who knows how many CCA but it didn't last and had to be jumped in the cold!!! $325 with holder.

Stock YTX14 Apex battery =10.6 lbs 200 CCA $$??

I bought the YTZ7s first but decided for the weight I would rather have the bigger battery with more CCA. The YTZ7s was also to tall (4 1/4"tall) to install in the nose without doing a bit more cutting.

I ended up installing the YTZ10s in the nose where the battcap was. In order to get the battcap out I had to cut out about 1/2 inch of the left side of the right opening in the front. Not a big deal and I don't see any problems with this at all!

The Battcap is 5 5/8 inches long and the holder that came with it is also 5 5/8 inch. The YTZ10s is 5 3/4 inchs+ long. I ended up just cutting off the flange on the side facing the front of the sled on the Alpine holder and reinstalling it. The YTZ10s fits in there like a glove now. I'm glad that I will now have a battery that is reliable and I only had a net gain of 1.4 lbs over the POS Battcap.

I looked at reinstalling the stock battery holder and it is amazing how much room that thing takes up. It would have rubbed on everything and could have caused future issues. It also adds about a pound to the equation.

I would highly recommend just buying or fabricating one of the holders like alpine and Powderlites sell and just buying your own YTZ10s.

Out of all the parts and pieces that I have bought for this sled the Battcap at the price I paid was by far the worst money that I spent!!!

I would post pictures but I didn't take any and it would be hard to get any pictures of the Battery installed because it is so tight in there.

Sap

Last edited:
R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
The weights of batteries weighed on my scale.

YTZ7s =4.6 lbs 130 CCA $115
YTZ10s =6.8 lbs 190 CCA $120
Battcap 400 battery sold by Alpine =5.4 lbs POS who knows how many CCA but it didn't last and had to be jumped in the cold!!! $325 with holder.

Stock YTX14 Apex battery =10.6 lbs 200 CCA $$??

Wow, the Stock Nytro MTX battery = 15 lbs with the bracket/bolts.
The two 7s I've weighed were 5 lbs.

C
Dec 5, 2001
Colorado Springs, CO
Just an FYI - somewhat related topic, I had to install 4 roof mounted solar chargers on the trailer to help keep a charge on the 4-strokers; works great and we use them for the atv's in the summer.

Premium Features