• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sliders

M
Jan 1, 2008
Castlegar B.C.
I was trying to replace my sliders today on the Apex and I dont know if it was because of the temp outside but I cant seem to get them off. How do you guys do it? I took the screw out and started to knock them towards the rear with a screwdriver and hammer and the slider moved about 1.5" and wont go anymore. Does the dealer have a tool to pull them out?

FriscoProx

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Drill a hole in the 1 1/2" of the slider you've slid off and put a big screw driver through it and pull on that.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Did mine not long ago, I dont know if your running the maverick, but I dont know what they were thinking making the windows too small for a slider to go through? Anyone ever seen another track like that? Sometimes a big chisel on the slide and a few cracks with a hammer will get em to move. Actually in the past ive had to cut em off if there original. Good luck my friend.

H

hardcore2

Feb 26, 2003
Cranbrook BC
Take a screwdriver and pry them off from the side . Takes about 3 seconds . Spray a little lube on the new ones and slide them on .

H

happyhour

Nov 26, 2007
a slide hammer with a vise grip attachment seems to work the best for getting them off and for putting them on I sprayed wd-40 on the rails they seem to slide on alot better

A
Dec 16, 2007
Alaska
Bingo

Take a screwdriver and pry them off from the side . Takes about 3 seconds . Spray a little lube on the new ones and slide them on .

Exactly, if you use a flat screw driver to pound them off you can gouge the rail then you have to file it smooth again, yadda yadda yadda. Just bust them off with the above mentioned screw driver technique and make sure rails are smooth before sliding new ones on.

M
Jan 1, 2008
Castlegar B.C.
Thanks for all the replies guys! I will give your suggestions a try tomorrow. Maybe the damn things are frozen to the skid. I am trying to be careful not to gouge the skid. The technique where you pry them off with the screwdriver sounds possible. Can you do that with the track on though?

R
Nov 26, 2007
Bozeman MT
Lube track window with wd40 and drive the hyfax back through the window until it's just poking through (yes it will go through the maverick window-that's why you lube it). Then rotate track backwards and it peals hyfax off. I saw this trick performed by a Yammy mechanic and it works really slick. Lube rail and new hyfax and reinstall through track window using rubber mallet.

R
Nov 26, 2007
Bozeman MT
After taking the screws out, I use a brass drift and hammer where the countersink for the screw is to avoid marring the sliderail. Once you get it back an inch or so then you can go after the front of the hyfax with the hammer/drift. I have done it twice on my apex and it was easy maybe you just got a tough one! Good luck.

I use a dent puller for vehicles u have to drill a hole in the end of the slidder an inch or 2 screw it in then use the slide hammer it works slick, but sometimes they are just a biatch. lube the new ones with lithium grease it keeps the moisture out and makes taking them off the next time a 2 min job

Premium Features