• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tires Chains - Best type and where to buy?

W
Sep 23, 2005
Calgary, AB
I'm looking to invest in a set of tire chains for my truck.

Anyone have any suggestions on the type of chains to buy and the best place to get them? Anywhere in Canada?

I need them to fit 285/75R16s, that seems to makes them a lot tougher to find.

Thanks,

Waxy

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
try this link

285/75R16 tire chains

I bought the diamond for my jeep lib. Haven't used them yet, but they go on pretty easy and should have a smoother ride and better lateral traction than the straight type, or so I am told.

BigT

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sequim, WA
I personally purchase my tire chains from Les Schwabb here in WA state.
At work, I order all of our chains through "6 Robblies". The have several types of chains for any and all types of tires. They are reasonably priced as well.
I have a set of 285/75 16s at home. They were on the shelf at Les Schwabb.

Good luck.

BigT

G

Good to Go

Banned
Nov 21, 2007
North Bend, WA
We carry chains and cables.

Super Z's go on easy, have replaceable links.

Linky

And no doubt someone will get on here about cables suck... but everything has it's place.

Napa can get them (as can 6 Roblees).

Good cables and chains are not 40 bucks. Spend the money, get the good stuff; you won't regret it

S
Dec 23, 2005
WA
i have had great luck at les schwab also last year for a set for 33's and then this year for 35's. i buy the lockede(sp) style they seem the most heavy duty to me. if they donmt have your size in stock they can get them in a day or two.

G

GADGETMONKEY

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 27, 2007
GRANITE FALLS
Schwabby Will Cut Down Big Truck Chains

That's what I use and why ***** foot around with with cables if you want grip and long life truck chains are great plus you can get them in a off road design with extra cleats that will flat rip the ice and snow a new one when your working your way up a logging road, don't want to use them on pavement.
les scwab has the tools to cut them down and add extra cross section.

W
Sep 23, 2005
Calgary, AB
There's no Les Schwab in Canada that I'm aware of, so I'd have to get them shipped I guess.

TireChains.com only ships to Canada via UPS, so that writes them off.

Thanks for the help though, I'll keep on looking.

OC

G

Good to Go

Banned
Nov 21, 2007
North Bend, WA
Call 6 Robblees

(206)767-7970

They said they'll ship via USPS for you... They carry a bunch of different styles.

Web site isn't that good, but over the phone service is great.

G

Gold5th

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
I was in canadian tire the other day.. they had a pretty good selection of chains

V
Nov 27, 2007
denver area
Not to hijack, but I have a set of 4 "Heavy Truck" chains from tirechain.com. 2 fit fine and 2 seem a link short. Is there an add-a-link or something I can use. It's a royal pain in the mud.

BTW, I use chains more in mud than snow. Great for hunting season and mud season in the spring.

G

Gold5th

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Waxy

Gregg Distributors is the best place in Western Canada for tire chains

http://www.greggdistributors.ca/

Ya... them too.. I dunno bout other locations, but it you go to their main warehouse location in West Edmonton on 118ave.. they have free donuts, fountain pop, coffee in their waiting/show room... they have these trippy non motorized scooter/mail cart contraptions..

N
Nov 27, 2007
Kapowsin, WA
Whatever you decide on, bite the bullet and get the best quality you can. It may suck paying $100 for chains but it is better off in the long run. My truck is 4x4 and studded all the way around but I still keep a good set of chains in the trailer just in case.

G

Gold5th

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
me, I'm the reverse.. I'm running all season nokian truck tires, no studs, I have chains, but their hanging off one of the posts on my fence :p I've driven on shear ice with a trailer, rwd, after freezing rain.. not a problem

Premium Features