• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

First deep powder day on an 09 M1000

B

bigbull

Jan 21, 2005
Spokane, WA
www.bigbullinc.com
I have built and tested many M series sleds since they were released. As well as own two turbo M sleds and an 07 M1000. This is my take on a days ride in Revy in some good snow areas for the 09 M1000.

Well let me start by agreeing with Snowest on the best new improvement of the year from Cat for mountain sledding, the POWERCLAW. It is not too cool for handling on the trail/hardpack or going downhill (yikes!!!) but in the deep stuff, holy smokes, it is better than the 2 1/2" Camo Extreme I have had on my last 3 M sleds. I can not believe how the new tunnel, running boards, rear suspension, two wheel rear axle, and that track work together in the powder. It just keeps going and going when you think you are getting stuck, whip it one way or the other and gain traction and speed and keep climbing. What a difference there. It like 30 more HP or a major trackspeed increase. Very impressive.

As for some of the other changes: Yes, I feel the weight difference. It is dramatic in my opinion. Felt extremely nimble. I got cocky and was doing some downhill whip turns back up the hill and never got tossed or stuck all day. I can't remember the last time I didnt get stuck all day. :)

I do think the rear axle setup is kind of cheap and could use some improvement. One would be better access to adjustment of the track tension. Good thing I brought lots of extra tools! I much prefer the MMP rear axle set up, just wish it wasn't so costly in comparison!

My last own personal M1000 was an 07. The running boards on the 09 are fantastic and no need for Snow elimator type boards IMO. Had no buildup that could not be kicked out easily. The turn up on the back of the boards is perfectly placed and as long as you keep it clear of snow, is very very useful.

Wow does this sled sidehill with no effort. In one word description it would have to be "FLUID" all the turning and sidehilling makes you feel at one with the sled.

Now the motor. I miss my untouched fuel curve settings (never got the update on my last ECU). Why? Because it was easier to modify with a BD fuel box. This fuel curve is much more intricate and will take more work to dial in to my liking. Granted I was still working off some extra oil in the gas tank all day, but this sled needs some psychiatric help when it comes to fuel. It is very finicky at odd points during the RPM and load range and does not seem to give the kind of static readings I was getting with the last two years M1000 sleds. Obviously due to tweaking of the factory fuel curve. That would be an outstanding thing for a rider making no changes from stock (pipe, can, intake etc.) and leaving the fuel curve alone. Not so much for a light modder.

Please post your findings on fuel curves here rather it be a BD box or PL or Attitude box etc. I am sure there will be a lot of riders wanting some info on that. I will do the same.

Factory WTFs? 1- Where are my secondary shims between the Diamond drive bearing and the secondary? Better thought out scenario with rear axle. WHERE ARE OUR NEW AND IMPROVED SKIS WE WERE PROMISED? And come on please, this BOSS seat from Cat is like a frigin piece of plywood. My azz might never adapt. The best thing about the seat is the storage. But make sure and do somthing similar to what I did if you have one, use packing foam or bubble wrap as a lightweight dry stuffing to keep your items from bouncing in the seat. It worked outstanding.

Overall, I love this sled:heart: .....again. I also think people in general of smaller stature or maybe not enough confidence in a bigger sled being able to fit the type of riding they do (I.E. trees and boondocking) will need to rethink the reasons for riding 600, 700, and 800 class sleds after riding this years M1000
BB

Skinner

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
thats great to hear on the power claw. :D I made the change this year but haven't had a chance to ride yet.

R

RideGuy

Jan 28, 2005
B.C.
Excellent Review BB!!!

Once you get the mapping leaned out it sounds like the sled to beat this year!!!

:):beer;

iluv2fly

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Rode my 09 M8 last weekend and agree that the seat is very hard.

B

bigbull

Jan 21, 2005
Spokane, WA
www.bigbullinc.com
so would you say it would be a good idea to change the track to a power claw on 07 m1000?

If your sled is dialed in and you like it already, then yes, I would change it, at least until spring when the challenger will kick it's butt.
BB

Good write up BB! Which sled is going to Revy on Dec 10th?

Probably the M1000 unless a huge dumping of snow ensues right away.
BB

M
Nov 30, 2008
Hey BB what are did you run for exhaust on that first ride? Looking for suggestions on a can for the same sled in basically stock form

B

bigbull

Jan 21, 2005
Spokane, WA
www.bigbullinc.com
Well on this one it has a SLP pipe, Y pipe, and can. But I have a Speedwerx on standby for testing if this one does not work out. By the sounds of it, my old 07 M1000 ran better than the rest with my mapping and mods on the SLP set up. Must have been built on a tuesday.:confused::beer; Cause most of the tester/tuners I know did not care for the SLP set up on the M1000. I had zero issues with tuning or horsepower. So I put it on this sled first. I need to clarify though that you can not run all three items without fuel control.
BB

S

Snopro_69

Mar 25, 2008
Saskatchewan
hey just wondering if theres something goin on in revy the 10th weekend or why u askin wat sled he takin??? jus a trip or is somethin goin on, cuz lookin at coming up on 10th for the weekend... thanks guys

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
hey thanx for the review on the track. have been wanting some real world honest opinions, figured with the solid lugs it would be a slider on the hardpack. kind of hard to run a one dimensional track and have to switch back and forth, unless you've got fresh pow to ride every weekend!!!

iluv2fly

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Rode mine on the hardpack and it was no worse of a slider than my challenger I had last year. The powerclaw kills it everywhere else to.

Monty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Wet Coast
Did you ever run this thing bone stock, just wondering how well they work stock.

B

bigbull

Jan 21, 2005
Spokane, WA
www.bigbullinc.com
I never have rode an 09 M1000 stock. Only 07 and 08 M1000. Couldn't help you on that one. This motor was pretty much designed to squeak by at a stock 160HP and begs to be opened up to breathe and burn better. Easy jumps are attained with the right stuff. :)
BB

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
big bull - did you find the Claw did better on the trail than the stock Challenger? I rode them back to back last year on the trail and thought they were pretty similar. Then i got my 2.5 extreme on the trail and it was WAY grippier, but when the snow got deeper the Claw felt much better, less trenching, more "Clawing". :)

I just wanna hear a straight comparison between the claw and the stock 2.25 challenger.

Good report - thanks!

Chris

D
Nov 26, 2007
north idaho
claw

Rode my m8 at revy this weekend with the new claw. I had no problem hooking up on the firm stuff in fact it felt a bit better (not much) then my stock challenger. Downhill- maybe a little less tracton vs stock(not the 2.5) but nothing to get concerned about. We found some decent powder at sale mnt. and frisby(trail up was HORRID) the claw definitely works in the soft. I was able to mark close to my buddys very much lightend/piped rmk 900 with 156 2.5 camo extrm(full disclosure-mines piped too). I felt where last year my stocker would simply spin, this track is converting the power to forward motion. This is only 2 days of riding, so I'm not proclaming the second coming, but so far I think it,s a big step forward for cat. I think come dec-jan this track will have me smiling in the deep.

B

bigbull

Jan 21, 2005
Spokane, WA
www.bigbullinc.com
big bull - did you find the Claw did better on the trail than the stock Challenger? I rode them back to back last year on the trail and thought they were pretty similar. Then i got my 2.5 extreme on the trail and it was WAY grippier, but when the snow got deeper the Claw felt much better, less trenching, more "Clawing". :)

I just wanna hear a straight comparison between the claw and the stock 2.25 challenger.

Good report - thanks!

Chris

2.5" Extreme, on a firm based trail with a little fluff on it, works better IMO. The Powerclaw spins too much in that condition. I would imagine that an early spring morning ride with a few inches of frozen on top of the snow will be similar. Deep soft snow, there is NO comparison in early season snow. The claw has it hands down.
BB

Premium Features