• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

The Brake stop ride, What is the real issue

Speed-Demon

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 25, 2020
AK
Was at dealer this morning. Was told the brake fix is a re flash that basically “cuts power when on the brake”. It was just approved today. I’ve never had a issue, so I don’t think I’ll be signing up for that one any time soon. Also, my 9R is on the way. 2-3 weeks. ?

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
They announced updated vehicle control system to prevent brake overheating. Digital wrench update is available immediately.

Yup yup. Flash in the pants! Snowmobiling is back on the me in boyz!!

Now if they could just move my boost from scheduled build to built and transported that would be great. I see guys that got quicker build timeframe from original. Mine went from build completion dec 18-Jan 1 when this all started to scheduled. Would be great to have New Year’s Eve in the big horns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
Great. So when my brake ices in deep snow due to having the hand warmers on high... a basic poo design flaw IMO, it won't run properly. What could go wrong! Limp mode could be a major liability in the backcountry.

This morning my display was showing that the brake was depressed even when it wasn't. Icing on the brake light/indicator button made it continue to stay depressed. So with the reflash, in this condition, I'd be limping home in -20F temps? Sweet.

Maybe the solution to this flash (on the new 23 sleds, where it's unavoidable) is to remove that brake light/indicator button? Has anyone tried this yet? Of course, if we do this, we'd probably void the entire sled's warranty and forever be tagged as a violator of the important safety "fix."

Lobster Carl

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2018
For everyone's sake hopfully you can just unplug the brake light indicator. I got my sled 2 days before the stop ride/sale so I don't have to worry about it and don't plan on having it flashed. I almost got it before the exploding fuel tank recall to but I was to busy.

I'm not totally convinced that the flash and plastic hose clamps won't come without their own potential issues.

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
Hood your breath a few extra days. I’ve been waiting for vehicle Parts on several jobs that were supposed to be in Rapid City in the 14th. Interstate and highways have been closed off and on since. Interstate was closed again yesterday for a two day storm that came through. MN was supposed to get 8-10. Anything that has to head west will be a challenge. Hopefully sleds start coming through but there is a lot of freight that is behind right now.

035abb01ed407b64e5d86d5cc1eab519.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

U
Nov 26, 2007
Why is this only a 22 and 23 thing?

Pre 22 RMK’s must have some magical no heat brakes I guess. Go ahead and ride them full power all day. I find this really odd. Wish they’d tell the rest of the story whatever it might be

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
Pre 22 RMK’s must have some magical no heat brakes I guess. Go ahead and ride them full power all day. I find this really odd. Wish they’d tell the rest of the story whatever it might be
Best guess is the Poo attorneys can't continue in an era of personal responsibility of operating a machine properly.

What's next, a computer that limits the length of time for wide open throttle condition? Too much angle on the sled? Automatic braking if the bars are turned too much or you're going too fast? Seriously...

Last edited:

440revNL

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 7, 2022
Canada
Why is this only a 22 and 23 thing?

Polaris is using two types of Hayes master cylinders, one for the trail sleds and one for mounting sleds. Hayes is a more precise system making the brakes even more sensitive and better for the technical mountain riders. AXIS sleds used another type of master.

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
Polaris is using two types of Hayes master cylinders, one for the trail sleds and one for mounting sleds. Hayes is a more precise system making the brakes even more sensitive and better for the technical mountain riders. AXIS sleds used another type of master.
actually the Hayes masters are identical in every aspect EXCEPT the brake light switch.
if you look at the parts fiche for each, the only difference is that switch

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Best guess is the Poo attorneys can't continue in an era of personal responsibility of operating a machine properly.

What's next, a computer that limits the length of time for wide open throttle condition? Too much angle on the sled? Automatic braking if the bars are turned too much or you're going too fast? Seriously...
The engineers drive these decisions.

U
Nov 26, 2007

They do feel waaaay different between axys and matryx. To my point though if the axys brakes or trail sled brakes do not have the issue shouldn’t ‘the Fix’ be new brakes not a software dummy switch?

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
The engineers drive these decisions.
Of course they are the ones ultimately developing and implementing changes to their designs and programming.

My fear is that these will soon be like modern SUVs and trucks, where you have to turn off traction control, disable auto braking, engage lockers if you actually have them, etc. etc. to actually drive it for real without having automatic systems take over and get you stuck. It's not necessarily safer, but the engineers say it's better. So we get it and have to either disable manually or live with the consequences.

S
Feb 12, 2008
my 2020 axis did this same thing gas and brake for about 10 minutes melted brake burnt quick drive belt never had it happen before brakes are better and more power i guess

Premium Features