• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Another Trailer Floor Option

R
Nov 30, 2019
Yeah that sucks and hearing about your experiences was a little off-putting. When he picked up both times I called I decided to give them a shot. The real test will be how communication goes if the shipping is severely delayed beyond what we discussed. I'll be sure to let everyone know how it goes.

If the Ribtrax would have been a closer fit in my trailer I definitely would have been more inclined to go that way. I would have been throwing 90% of a 32' row away along one side of the trailer to fill it out wall to wall.
It appears that everything will work out since he's conversing with you along with ordering. Everything I've read was positive in regards to their tile. I would have loved to get some samples but........
I'm glad that they're going to work out for you leaving you without much waste. Since my trailer won't arrive until mid January, I'll probably wait until spring for installation. I do however plan on doing my ramps immediately with 18" rubber down the center with the remaining being Caliber LowPro Grip Glides (link below). Please keep in touch in regards to your install. ??

Caliber LowPro Grip Glides

R
Nov 30, 2019
Trailers coming along nicely. Need to get the ramp painted when it warms up enough! Love the Ribtrax.

BEAUTIFUL!!!! It's like looking into my trailers near future!! Your ramps turned out awesome as well. Looks like you used the Caliber LowPro Grip Glides, exactly what I'm planning on with the exception of using rubber down the center part. My plan on the floor and ramps is to stain/seal all of it in black.
I'm also going to install L Track along the sides since I need a variety of tie down areas throughout the year. I would also like to run it down the center as well but, I would have to cut off 3/4" of each side tile to do so. I just received a couple of the Racing Red RibTrax like yours Saturday. The red ones are extremely close to the color of my Trike and matching pull behind trailer. Thank you for sharing..... You've given me an awesome vision of what's to come! You did an outstanding job!! Now my heart rate is up.....LOL ??????

Last edited:

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Very nice!

Came across this install video today. I hadn't contemplated being able to score the tiles with a utility knife and snapping them off. I shouldn't have to do that much in my case other than around the fender wells and the walk-in doors, but I'm going to try it on one to see how clean of a break it actually has. I'll have trim to cover the edge anyway.

IFlyEm

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 1, 2008
Temecula, CA
BEAUTIFUL!!!! It's like looking into my trailers near future!! Your ramps turned out awesome as well. Looks like you used the Caliber LowPro Grip Glides, exactly what I'm planning on with the exception of using rubber down the center part. My plan on the floor and ramps is to stain/seal all of it in black.
I'm also going to install L Track along the sides since I need a variety of tie down areas throughout the year. I would also like to run it down the center as well but, I would have to cut off 3/4" of each side tile to do so. I just received a couple of the Racing Red RibTrax like yours Saturday. The red ones are extremely close to the color of my Trike and matching pull behind trailer. Thank you for sharing..... You've given me an awesome vision of what's to come! You did an outstanding job!! Now my heart rate is up.....LOL ??????

Thanks! So far I am really happy with the results!

R
Nov 30, 2019
Very nice!

Came across this install video today. I hadn't contemplated being able to score the tiles with a utility knife and snapping them off. I shouldn't have to do that much in my case other than around the fender wells and the walk-in doors, but I'm going to try it on one to see how clean of a break it actually has. I'll have trim to cover the edge anyway.
That's great that you don't have to trim too much...... Once I get going, I plan on using a good carbide tooth finishing blade in my table saw along with the use of a fine tooth blade for my sabre saw. Only drawbacks I've heard about table saw use was a few burrs here and there that may need to be slightly shaved off. Keep us updated as you go along...... Excited for you...... Have fun. ?

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Generally when you machine composite material it works best to run a slower RPM and higher feed speed with a sharp tool so it's making a bigger chip. Get less "spinning" and heat buildup melting the material. Might actually get less burs with a larger tooth blade and run it through at a good pace.

R
Nov 30, 2019
Generally when you machine composite material it works best to run a slower RPM and higher feed speed with a sharp tool so it's making a bigger chip. Get less "spinning" and heat buildup melting the material. Might actually get less burs with a larger tooth blade and run it through at a good pace.
Makes sense...... Looking at the pic's from IFlyEm above the RibTrax looks great on the cuts...... he mentioned the he used a table saw..... I'll be trial and error for sure but, with a table saw your assured a straight cut. If it's too big of an issue with melting, I'll give it a go with my ceramic tile wet saw using a fine blade......LOL. That'll be different.... ???

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
It's great to see the floor working out for more guys!! Who would have thought a few phone calls and a roll of the dice would have turned out this way. Getting ready for another season on my floor and it still looks and performs awesome!! At some point when I upgrade trailers, I'll be looking at doing this floor again !

R
Nov 30, 2019
It's great to see the floor working out for more guys!! Who would have thought a few phone calls and a roll of the dice would have turned out this way. Getting ready for another season on my floor and it still looks and performs awesome!! At some point when I upgrade trailers, I'll be looking at doing this floor again !
Thanks for chiming in..... I'm sure glad that I came across you a while back..... My trailer is due to arrive in mid January. I removed my studs on my sled which should help with the floor. Hopefully, I won't miss them too bad, I've had them since new. I'll probably wait for the weather to break to install everything. I'm currently looking at ATP hinged transition plates (link below) and noticed that you have them. Is yours aluminum or steel? How are they holding up to your carbides? The ones in the link below would cover the 7-1/2" gap real well between the front ramp and main floor since they're 12". The price point doesn't seem to be too bad. They also carry all steel TP but, only in one size 80" Thanks again, good hearing from you. Ray ??

ATP Plates

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Thanks for chiming in..... I'm sure glad that I came across you a while back..... My trailer is due to arrive in mid January. I removed my studs on my sled which should help with the floor. Hopefully, I won't miss them too bad, I've had them since new. I'll probably wait for the weather to break to install everything. I'm currently looking at ATP hinged transition plates (link below) and noticed that you have them. Is yours aluminum or steel? How are they holding up to your carbides? The ones in the link below would cover the 7-1/2" gap real well between the front ramp and main floor since they're 12". The price point doesn't seem to be too bad. They also carry all steel TP but, only in one size 80" Thanks again, good hearing from you. Ray ??

ATP Plates

The transition plates I have are aluminum and have been holding just fine. Do they have mark.....yes but not bad at all. The other thing that is nice with those transition plates is that you don't have a bunch of snow and ice in between the door and the trailer floor (by the hinge) that you have to sweep or clean out.

The other small item I carry in the trailer in addition to a standard push broom is a small broom to brush snow and ice off the sleds before I pull them in. Less being tracked in means less to deal with later!

Definitely post up pics when you get it all together!!

R
Nov 30, 2019
The transition plates I have are aluminum and have been holding just fine. Do they have mark.....yes but not bad at all. The other thing that is nice with those transition plates is that you don't have a bunch of snow and ice in between the door and the trailer floor (by the hinge) that you have to sweep or clean out.

The other small item I carry in the trailer in addition to a standard push broom is a small broom to brush snow and ice off the sleds before I pull them in. Less being tracked in means less to deal with later!

Definitely post up pics when you get it all together!!
Thanks, glad to hear that the aluminum plate holds up well. I wasn't sure how marked/tore they would get due to being aluminum versus steel. I looked at the Caliber ones but, they are not full length unless you splice them together. Plus, they don't seem to lay real well compared to something a little heavier. They do however, have a great warranty.
I've been using a deck board in the gap between the ramp and the floor on my current trailer. Sometimes when I'm in a hurry, I go to lift the ramp door with it in place nearly ripping my arm off.....LOL. Keeping a broom handy is a must, for sure. Ice in the hinge areas is always a P.I.A. I will definitely keep in touch here as I go along. Thanks again and as always, I appreciate your real world experience. Ray ??

Nytroty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Chaska, MN
Thanks, glad to hear that the aluminum plate holds up well. I wasn't sure how marked/tore they would get due to being aluminum versus steel. I looked at the Caliber ones but, they are not full length unless you splice them together. Plus, they don't seem to lay real well compared to something a little heavier. They do however, have a great warranty.
I've been using a deck board in the gap between the ramp and the floor on my current trailer. Sometimes when I'm in a hurry, I go to lift the ramp door with it in place nearly ripping my arm off.....LOL. Keeping a broom handy is a must, for sure. Ice in the hinge areas is always a P.I.A. I will definitely keep in touch here as I go along. Thanks again and as always, I appreciate your real world experience. Ray ??
The Caliber Edge Glide 2.0 are 24" sections that connect together with a rubber link to make the length you need. They also have a cut line every 3 inches so you can cut the end to your door width. Let me know if you have any questions about them! They work incredible!

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND

Absolutely !! Being able to get info, feedback, direction, and help is really the beauty of the forum!!

R
Nov 30, 2019
I just received my Caliber LowPro Grip Glides for my ramps today. The grip on these look/feel like they'll be awesome for walking on as well as a good tire grip. I can't get over how thin (1/8") these are where the carbides ride. Looking at them, I would say they would split in no time. I called Caliber with that concern and the guy I talked to said he's had them on his trailer for 6 years problem free. He added, that they were covered under their lifetime warranty if there ever was a problem. That's good enough for me...... Caliber is a great company and I tootally believe they will stand behind these. I haven't read anything negative on these but, looking at these one would think, no way will these hold up. I would love to hear from some riders that had these on for awhile. P.S. I sure wish my new trailer would get here..... ??

R
Nov 30, 2019
The Caliber Edge Glide 2.0 are 24" sections that connect together with a rubber link to make the length you need. They also have a cut line every 3 inches so you can cut the end to your door width. Let me know if you have any questions about them! They work incredible!
Thanks for reaching out..... I haven't ruled out the 2.0's mainly due to Caliber standing behind their products with a fantastic warranty. Couldn't ask for more than that. ??

Premium Features