• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

brake cable extension

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
It is not a cable, it's a hose. Just go to the auto parts store and get a steel line 4" long and a coupling. It will cost about $7.00 and works as good as a $60 long line. Screw the steel line into the caliper and couple it to your hose.

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
more info

I want to get the parts to do the same thing. What do you mean by screw the steel line into the caliper? Does the steel line come with threads, or how exactly does it screw in? Dumb question probably, but I have never messed with brakes before. How does the coupling attach to the new 4" steel line?

F

frock

Sep 13, 2005
British Columbia, Canada
M328 a brakeline (which come in many different lengths) comes with the ends flared and fittings already installed. The fitting on the brakeline should thread right into the brake caliper then you just have to get the right fitting to couple the brakeline and the end of your brake hose that you screwed out of the caliper to put the brakeline into. Hope this clears it up.

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
Alright. Went to the auto parts store today. What size line do I need? 3/16"? Are the threads standard or metric? Do I want standard flare ends or "bubble flare" ends on the line?
Finally, the part number for the stock piece that threads into the caliper is: 0602-590 FITTING,ADAPTER-1/8 NPT/DBL FL if that helps any. I have no idea what NPT/DBL FL means. Thanks again.

Last edited:
H
Nov 9, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Alright. Went to the auto parts store today. What size line do I need? 3/16"? Are the threads standard or metric? Do I want standard flare ends or "bubble flare" ends on the line?
Finally, the part number for the stock piece that threads into the caliper is: 0602-590 FITTING,ADAPTER-1/8 NPT/DBL FL if that helps any. I have no idea what NPT/DBL FL means. Thanks again.

I would also like to know the answer to this question. Sled is 300 miles away so I want to have the parts before I make the trip. Thanks

F

frock

Sep 13, 2005
British Columbia, Canada

This means the threads into the caliper are 1/8th inch National Pipe Thread and the fitting is double flared. In the quote above I think "bubble flare" is actually supposed to be double flare. You need whatever size line comes with 1/8th inch NPT/DBL FL fittings on it.

Premium Features