• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ski stance?

A
Oct 22, 2008
I've yet to ride the sled I just bought(03 mountain 900) and the ski stance is set out to the widest it can go (which is what, like 41" or so). I ride mostly back mountain powder, but of coarse sometimes have to ride trails to get there and I like to play around on every hill I see and hit the small natural kickers in fields. Anyway, keep it wide or set it to the narrow ski position?. I want a nimble carving sled, but don't want a tippy S.O.B as well. I'm 6'2", 245 lbs and in pretty good shape so I was thinking I could keep the sled stance set to wide for stability and still be able to throw it over at will for carving etc. Whats the common set up for you guys?.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
For your size I would leave it in the 41" stance. You will not notice a big sidehilling drawback, but the stability will be increased.

A
Oct 22, 2008
hey

yeah, thats what I was thinking. I jumped on a buddies sled last year and he had the stance as narrow as it gets and I went to pull it over for a hard turn and ended up on my side buried cuz the sled came over so dang easy, I wasn't expecting it.

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
Id go with the narrow 39 inch stance. Im 6'3 and 260 and thats where i ran mine. It takes a day or two to get use to it but once you do its not a problem. Plus if youve never ran the sled before you wont have to adjust your riding style just learn the sled at 39.

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Just so you have one of each....

We run all our sleds right in the middle at 40". We've actually started running older spindles that aren't adjustable on our 1Ms because they don't wear the bushings out as fast. We got sick of the sloppy steering, and never took the time to adjust the skis anyway.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
I am 6'4 230. I ride back country deep powder. I run mine in at the narrow spot. I love it in that spot. I will move it out to the wide stance in the spring when the snow is hard packed.

S
Dec 1, 2007
Norther Utah (Utard)
I run springs on my bolts that force the skis wide then they collapse in when there is lateral force on them like sidehilling (or cornering) but straight down the trail the toe out keeps them at 41" but when I look down about every 10-15 seconds you see your shift meaning a "bump" was at least partially absorbed by them transfering less to the bars.

you really cannot feel the movement at least I cant, even when you see it.

spomey

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
I run springs on my bolts that force the skis wide then they collapse in when there is lateral force on them like sidehilling (or cornering) but straight down the trail the toe out keeps them at 41" but when I look down about every 10-15 seconds you see your shift meaning a "bump" was at least partially absorbed by them transfering less to the bars.

you really cannot feel the movement at least I cant, even when you see it.

spomey

What kind of springs are you running, is this a kit or did you just find some suitable springs and build it your self.

Premium Features