• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

z120 headlight burns out

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
my 2000 z120 burns out headlights and tailights. ordered a stock replacement bulb and it worked for a few hours in the headlight and the taillight worked for a minute. checked with the multimeter and it was puting out over 50 volts ac. anyone know if thats normal.

arcticridr

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 11, 2003
Redding Ca
my 2000 z120 burns out headlights and tailights. ordered a stock replacement bulb and it worked for a few hours in the headlight and the taillight worked for a minute. checked with the multimeter and it was puting out over 50 volts ac. anyone know if thats normal.
No it's got a bad voltage regulator! somewhere on that sled is a voltage regulator usually Max voltage is 14 -14 1/2 at 50 volts I'm surprised the headlight doesn't flash bulb as soon as you start it, you said 50 volts ac what's the DC output at the bulb?

arcticridr

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 11, 2003
Redding Ca
The 2000 model may not have a regulator check all your grounds and under the seat for rubbed wires , you can wire in a regulator yellow & brown wires on the right side under the hood a 4 flat trailer plug can be modified , all that reg does is capture the excess voltage kinda like a capacitor , can't tell you why all of a sudden could be a bad ground or
something goofy in the stator . Had a street bike that broke a ground wire flashbullbed every light I had on at the time and the ones I turned on so I could see ?

arcticridr

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 11, 2003
Redding Ca
Here is a link to an old post in another forum tells how to wire it in but never really gives a cause

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
thanks i found that article today, i couldnt find a regulator, then i read that the 2000 model didnt have one. i guess it only bothers when you fiddle with the governor and make more rpm. i guess i'll wire a regulator in and that should do the trick.. thanks for the replies.

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
put in a voltage regulator and i had 12 volts AC at idle then when revved it dropped to 5 volts AC. took it for a ride and it was laboring at high rpm like it wasnt getting enough power for spark. unhooked the regulator and then she ran good again. i guess no lights for the 120.

Premium Features