• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Yamaha electrial question

W
Nov 27, 2007
I have a Yamaha Mtn viper 2003. I started it last week and the insterment panel dosent light up and the head light is very dim. I wrecked it about 2 years ago and smashed the pipes. Ran it last year with no problems until I went and started it last week. I have checked the wires and have not seen anything that looks burnt or bare. I unplugged the wires that go to the insterment panel and the head light. The tail light comes on like the brake light is on. I pulled on the brake and it goes out and then comes on bright again. Some one said it was the stator. I was wondering if anyone had this problem or what are so other ideas. If it is the stator is there a way to check it.

Thanks for the help

Bryan

B
Nov 27, 2007
ya just get the specs from your local yamy dealer if they will turn loose of them!!! If they won't I might be able to scrounge up the info.

Last edited:

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
Check the main harness that passes under the motor. If the harness has been touching the engine, vibration can cause the crankcase to wear through a wire and short to ground.
You may have to loosen the harness, to gain access to see it.
I repaired mine by repairing the wire and routing the harness in plastic conduit.
There was some posts on totallyamaha.com, a while back, that had some pics in it.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Unplug the wires that go to the brake light. Should be a harness under the hood by the right foot well. ANd then try it. Had a sled that had the same problem and it was a short in the wires that goes to the brake light.

G
Nov 28, 2007
Montana
yam elec

Seen this same issue on two different machines... turned out to be one (1) fouled spark plug. Its an easy check and will eliminate one area. Not sure how or why but it worked.

Nov 28, 2007
Vernon
It's a 3 phase stator pretty easy to test, set the idle to about 2000
find the 3 white wires and probe each, white to white NOT TO GROUND, test all 3
Votage should be the same from all 3, the voltage it makes is not important but it will probably be 60 - 80v AC, what you are looking for is one phaze to be much lower than the other 2, you never have 3 bad windings at the same time
All the same and the stator is good

Premium Features