• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Y-pipe Bolts fallin' out???

R

Rob1334

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 26, 2008
Bismarck, ND
Took the sled over on Saturday, and said no problem putting in the new parts. Pops is running to Fastenal at lunch to get the parts, they don't work weekends either haha. Judd, will let ya know whattotal is, and if we end up ordering anything will call ya to see if ya want yours now too.

Question though, why use the anti-sieze?? The mechanic looked at me really funny when I said people used that, and gave me a smart a$$ remark as to they would just fall out, so shot back it would just go back to factory specs haha. So why use it then? What happens if we don't? Pro's and con's? If I take it over and give him everything including the anit-sieze, what should I tell him the importance of it is????

Reactions: rockymking
R
Took the sled over on Saturday, and said no problem putting in the new parts. Pops is running to Fastenal at lunch to get the parts, they don't work weekends either haha. Judd, will let ya know whattotal is, and if we end up ordering anything will call ya to see if ya want yours now too.

Question though, why use the anti-sieze?? The mechanic looked at me really funny when I said people used that, and gave me a smart a$$ remark as to they would just fall out, so shot back it would just go back to factory specs haha. So why use it then? What happens if we don't? Pro's and con's? If I take it over and give him everything including the anit-sieze, what should I tell him the importance of it is????

Use the anti-seize if you are replacing the stock steel bolts with stainless bolts. Stainless mated to aluminum has issues with dissimilar metals corrosion/electrolysis so the anti-seize keeps the bolts from galling into the threads of the aluminum bolt bosses. The Nord-Locks will keep them tight even with the anti-seize. I would still use the nickel AS even if you are using steel bolts ... the stuff works great. All the correct part #'s for everything you need are listed in this link: http://www.dootalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=119072

"You can order all of these fasteners and the ball hex driver that will keep you from teaching your kids new words(***#@^&&&*###) when you try to remove the old ones and install the new. You can get them from McMASTER CARR; the following are McMaster Carr part numbers. Anyone can order these parts with a credit card over the phone or online.

Nordlock washers for M6 Part #91812A229=> $8.49 for 10 pair (enough for 1 sled)

316 stainless steel M6x20 1mm pitch Part #92290A326 => $7.30 per pack of 25 (3 sleds)

Nickle antisieze compound Part #10295K29 => $5.54 for 1/4 oz tube (4 sleds worth)

5mm extra long 3/8 drive ball-hex driver
Part # 54185A23 => $13.48 each"

I ordered everything from McMaster Carr but if you order from Fastenal, just make sure the dimensions match the ones listed above.
My sled has over 2500 miles on it since replacing the Y-Pipe fasteners and not one bolt has loosened, yet they are still easy to get out if needed ... Lock-Tite is not a good idea for this application if you ever need to remove the Y-Pipe ;) Mountainhorse got this fix for the problem "spot-on".

Reactions: Vailguy and Rob1334
Premium Features