• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Y-pipe Bolts fallin' out???

R

Rob1334

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 26, 2008
Bismarck, ND
Hey, just got back from West Yellowstone from an amazing trip with fresh snow, sleds ran great except for one problem, the exhaust fell off our xp riding down the trail.

Is this a common problem for the XP's? It broke two of the studs off and the others just fell out of the y-pipe, and the gasket was just hanging there.

Wondering more about this problem now, is this something we are suppose to check after riding? How common is this? It is on a 08 800 xp 146, stock ecpet for clickers and a few utility bags, we ended up having to rent the last day....

M

maxwellzx

Oct 16, 2008
Hey, just got back from West Yellowstone from an amazing trip with fresh snow, sleds ran great except for one problem, the exhaust fell off our xp riding down the trail.

Is this a common problem for the XP's? It broke two of the studs off and the others just fell out of the y-pipe, and the gasket was just hanging there.

Wondering more about this problem now, is this something we are suppose to check after riding? How common is this? It is on a 08 800 xp 146, stock ecpet for clickers and a few utility bags, we ended up having to rent the last day....

HAHAHAHHA

wow same thing happened to me this weeekend

one snapped off...the others fell out and the gasket was hanging there aswell.

we managed to get 2 on one side and 2 in the other side just to limp it down.

but we had to borrow many tools and rip it apart on the hill..it wasnt fun..

ruined a bluebird day of riding.

the odd thing is the sled has only 1400km and there is factory locker on the bolts..

SO EVERYONE CHECK THEM

• Sad
Reactions: Ratchet82
D
Feb 22, 2008
Maine
Your answer is Nord-Lock washers!

Same problem on a lot of Revs. I got some Nord-Lock washers this fall and put them on my sled and a buddies sled. We have not had one bold even come loose yet. I had 4-5 back out last year, same for buddy's sled. These thinks can be found online or at your local fastener store. I believe either 1/4 inch or 8mm will work.

R

Rob1334

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 26, 2008
Bismarck, ND
HAHAHAHHA

wow same thing happened to me this weeekend

one snapped off...the others fell out and the gasket was hanging there aswell.

we managed to get 2 on one side and 2 in the other side just to limp it down.

but we had to borrow many tools and rip it apart on the hill..it wasnt fun..

ruined a bluebird day of riding.

the odd thing is the sled has only 1400km and there is factory locker on the bolts..

SO EVERYONE CHECK THEM
Dad???? haha

Ours has just under 600 miles, 300 of those on easy break-in miles as dealer requested, 120 miles on a fun run, and the rest almost all trail with some messing around in meadows.

Is this a known problem of these sleds??? Never heard of it till it happened, took it to the skidoo dealer and said it broke down, he says let me guess y-pipe fell off???? Ya, it f'n fell off, 4 hour fix he says and hands us a rental form. Thanks Skidoo, at east we got a deal on a rental with a connected exhaust system. lol

Are dealers addressing this when they set them up? How often do we check these things? hopefully not often as you need hands of a child to get at it...

Will look into the nord-lock thing, and will tell my dealer about it too. Thanks

skippyh2o

Lifetime Membership
Sep 22, 2005
Bonney Lake
www.hidsource.com
Same problem on a lot of Revs. I got some Nord-Lock washers this fall and put them on my sled and a buddies sled. We have not had one bold even come loose yet. I had 4-5 back out last year, same for buddy's sled. These thinks can be found online or at your local fastener store. I believe either 1/4 inch or 8mm will work.[/QUOTE]

I have the nord locks and it is 6MM not 8mm. :D

skippyh2o@yahoo.com

D
Feb 22, 2008
Maine
Sorry

Same problem on a lot of Revs. I got some Nord-Lock washers this fall and put them on my sled and a buddies sled. We have not had one bold even come loose yet. I had 4-5 back out last year, same for buddy's sled. These thinks can be found online or at your local fastener store. I believe either 1/4 inch or 8mm will work.[/QUOTE]

I have the nord locks and it is 6MM not 8mm. :D

skippyh2o@yahoo.com

You are right it is 6mm or 1/4". Sorry about that, its been a few months since I bought them.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Yep... Nordlock washers rock... Kinda pricey at about $1 each (Fastenall or McMaster Carr have them)

I put up a good post on the old forum a couple of years back on these... It got deleted with the system.

I dug this up from Dootalk that I posted up back in 2006

http://www.dootalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=119072

Mountainhorse: Nov 21 2006, 08:50 AM

The 800R WILL loosen the exhaust bolts on the new ones just like the old 800's. They use the same fastners as the older 800's. This is especially true if you have disturbed them by removing them or periodically tightening them. A lot of the dealers are aware of the issues with the exhaust bolts and "checking" each one trying to avoid warranty issues and are making the problem worse by disturbing the bolts.

DO NOT USE LOCKTITE RED ON THESE FASTENERS!!! If you ever have to remove these you will have a mother of a time getting them out and will probably strip out the threads on the cylinders. Locking compounds on the soft aluminum of the threads around the exhaust ports is asking for trouble when removal time comes around (damaged Y-pipe, cylinder work, etc).

logo2007.gif

Use the NORDLOCK washers to secure these bolts. They will not fatigue with the heat and actually hold tighter when they get hot. They are resuable, easy to assemble and dissasemble and are not affected by oil.

newmutter.jpg
advantages.jpg

washers.jpg

There is no need to safety wire on the bolts especially with how tight it is in there. It makes threading and twisting the siezing wire a pain. Aircraft "allens" are pretty hard to find in M6 sizes but you can always drill your own with a bunch of cobalt bits if you have to go this route.

Change out the bolts to stainless steel socket cap screws [M6 x 20mm] and use the silver (nickle based) anti sieze on the threads so you dont have to deal with corrosion problems down the road as all exhaust bolts look like shyte after a while. This compound will not give you corosion problems. Don't use copper antisieze on the threads as this will promote galvanic corrosion with the aluminum and steel or stainless steel.

You can order all of these fasteners and the ball hex driver that will keep you from teaching your kids new words(***#@^&&&*###) when you try to remove the old ones and install the new. You can get them from McMASTER CARR The following are McMaster Carr part numbers. Anyone can order these parts with a credit card over the phone or online.

Nordlock washers for M6 Part #91812A229=> $8.49 for 10 pair (enough for 1 sled)

316 stainless steel M6x20 1mm pitch Part #92290A326 => $7.30 per pack of 25 (3 sleds)

Nickle antisieze compound Part #10295K29 => $5.54 for 1/4 oz tube (4 sleds worth)

5mm extra long 3/8 drive ball-hex driver
Part # 54185A23 => $13.48 each

You may be saying to yourself (since sledders are some of the cheapest bastiges on the face of the earth, me included) that that is some serious money for little washers and bolts... but these things ABSOULETLY work and will keep you riding and not wrenching. Go in on this stuff with your friends with 800's if you feel the need. If you've ever dropped anything under the motor on the REV's or RT's you will see the value in these "expensive" parts.

I have to give credit to REV*BARON for turning me on to these issues and the solution.

Last edited:
R

Rob1334

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 26, 2008
Bismarck, ND
Will have to look for these little gems around town here, thanks.

Any excuse to not have to pull open all the tabs and pull plastic off of an XP to work on them is worth it's weight in gold...

B

BoneStock 600

Jan 15, 2008
Wy
vibration

Common problem to let you know it will only be a few more hours before your xp throws a rod! The motors are way out of balance. I had mine replaced @ 400 miles, hopefully this one lasts a little longer like maybe 500 or so?

S

skidoo_guy

Nov 26, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Will have to look for these little gems around town here, thanks.

Any excuse to not have to pull open all the tabs and pull plastic off of an XP to work on them is worth it's weight in gold...

Rob Fastenal can get them. I actually need to get some for my sleds too so if they have to order them let me know and I will order 2 sets too.

R

Rob1334

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 26, 2008
Bismarck, ND
Rob Fastenal can get them. I actually need to get some for my sleds too so if they have to order them let me know and I will order 2 sets too.
Sounds good, Will take it to Moritz to have fixed though, one of them broke in the jug, not sure how they will get it out, just not worth messing with.

Bonestock, any links to other threads or anyone else wanna chime in on this????? Vibration was never bad, somethnig to watch for now????

S

sledin

Nov 27, 2007
san jose CA

This is common with all Skidoos between 04-09.First thing you do is loctite the exhaust wye bolts and recoil bolts.Have not had a problem after doing this!!

S

SilverGriz

Oct 22, 2004
Hayden, ID
I lost 3 bolts a couple weeks ago. I used locktite. Will this hold or will I need to look for this Nord-Lock washers?

While on the topic of y-pipes.....an after market y-pipe, how does it make more power than stock? is it just less restrictive or something? are they worth the cash? any re-jetting or anything else required or just bolt on and go? thinking of a y-pipe and can for my '09.

nate

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
I lost 3 bolts a couple weeks ago. I used locktite. Will this hold or will I need to look for this Nord-Lock washers?

It will hold ,but get some Nordlock for the next time you remove it. Put some anti seize on the bolts when putting on the Nordlocks it makes it a breeze for future removals , and they stay on !!! :)

Premium Features