• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

XP summer Mods

R

RideGuy

I'm currious what everyone is up to this summer with ther XP's ?

What are the must Do's now that we have had them 2 years on the snow?

I've been happy with my 09 163 out of the box for the most part.....

I recall lot's about Al grinding the rave valves, straight 44's, yellow spring.... Seen alot about the Shockwave's.... floating secondary's, tower brace's, Big Bores, Heads, Rooster and DJ's kit's, Vents.... Specific Tuners ex. Sicamous is a reputable place to get a tuning....

I keep thinking about removing some pin weight so I can spin higher RPM on clicker 3 or less.... I'd also like to change the engagement spring in the primary to lower engagement RPM.... And I think I'd like a Longer secondary spring with higher start and finish rates...... I really think that would go along way on this CVT....

What is hands down the best place to spend money on the XP's something we can't live without ??

I'd love to see some pictures of the summer mods!!!

:):beer;

Last edited:
DW

That is a nice fab job you have there.... Looks simple and I like simple.... I kind of forgot about your turbo XP kit. I followed the post prior to you posting pictures.... Nice Job!!!

I'll ask the first questions.... LOL

What Octane required for what boost ?

I came off a fuel injected sled... Carbed turbo's just seem a little backwards from an efi..... I'm sure they work great..... The XP with anywhere near 200hp clutched proper would be amazing.....

I'd have to wonder if you wouldn't want to go with a roller primary and something like a super torquer for a secondary....

Since we're going all out here

;)

Most of our testing has been done with straight race fuel. We are recommending customers run 10-12 psi on race fuel. We have ran some with blends and straight pump fuel, but from our stand piont we would still like to recommend customers to run blended fuel for less boost. Kind of covering our a$$ sort of thing;). They can be run on 91 pump at certian elevations. We have never rode below 6000' with these kits.

Roller primary and Super Tourquer would be good for bling and I'm sure would work just fine, but I'm more into the biggest bang for the buck. Factory clutches with some mods still work very well. Run some of Tom's straight arms in the primary and a Shockwave conversion on the secondary and that would be as far as I would mod. We have done all our testing with stock arms and stock secondaries. Obviously set up for the turbo power.

Dave Halverson

DW

That is a nice fab job you have there.... Looks simple and I like simple.... I kind of forgot about your turbo XP kit. I followed the post prior to you posting pictures.... Nice Job!!!

I'll ask the first questions.... LOL

What Octane required for what boost ?

I came off a fuel injected sled... Carbed turbo's just seem a little backwards from an efi..... I'm sure they work great..... The XP with anywhere near 200hp clutched proper would be amazing.....

I'd have to wonder if you wouldn't want to go with a roller primary and something like a super torquer for a secondary....

Since we're going all out here

;)

Above all, make sure you have the new reflash and T-stat if you have an 09. If you've overheated it even once, you will be chasing yourself around in circles forever. I bet you're down 15 horse minimum.

Ive got an 09 146, going to do:
-Split second 880
-150x16x2.5 3 pitch
-airbox tricks
-Enzo Suspension
-whatever pipe or pipes neil comes up with

Really wanted to do the 1300 twin but the disposable income has taken a hit since last year.

I'm currious what everyone is up to this summer with ther XP's ?

What are the must Do's now that we have had them 2 years on the snow?

I've been happy with my 09 163 out of the box for the most part.....

I recall lot's about Al grinding the rave valves, straight 44's, yellow spring.... Seen alot about the Shockwave's.... floating secondary's, tower brace's, Big Bores, Heads, Rooster and DJ's kit's, Vents.... Specific Tuners ex. Sicamous is a reputable place to get a tuning....

I keep thinking about removing some pin weight so I can spin higher RPM on clicker 3 or less.... I'd also like to change the engagement spring in the primary to lower engagement RPM.... And I think I'd like a Longer secondary spring with higher start and finish rates...... I really think that would go along way on this CVT....

What is hands down the best place to spend money on the XP's something we can't live without ??

I'd love to see some pictures of the summer mods!!!

:):beer;

We saw the best gains on our shop XP's the last 2 seasons with our clutch setup and a 174-2.5 Camo extreme. This combo turned alot of heads in the deep....never came across another XP that was close and was more than competive with any 2s turbo we came across...all with 100% stock engine/HPS silencer. We purposly left the engine stock to evaluate clutching for customer setups. IMO a stiffer secondary spring is a step in the wrong direction, as is removing primary weight or using a straight or reverse helix....and we have tried it all and heard the costly horror stories from many customers who have also tried it all...they can be made to work OK, but all are a compromise for deep mountain riding (IMHO).
My personal XP is getting a makeover this summer....lots of chrome and powdercoat, Evol-X shocks, the same clutching we offer the customer and will likely do BigJohn's 860. Will try to post some pics of the progress soon. :beer;:)

IMG_0123.jpg IMG_0126.jpg IMG_0129.jpg IMG_0131.jpg IMG_0136.jpg

Last edited:
We saw the best gains on our shop XP's the last 2 seasons with our clutch setup and a 174-2.5 Camo extreme. This combo turned alot of heads in the deep....never came across another XP that was close and was more than competive with any 2s turbo we came across...all with 100% stock engine/HPS silencer. We purposly left the engine stock to evaluate clutching for customer setups. IMO a stiffer secondary spring is a step in the wrong direction, as is removing primary weight or using a straight or reverse helix....and we have tried it all and heard the costly horror stories from many customers who have also tried it all...they can be made to work OK, but all are a compromise for deep mountain riding (IMHO).
My personal XP is getting a makeover this summer....lots of chrome and powdercoat, Evol-X shocks, the same clutching we offer the customer and will likely do BigJohn's 860. Will try to post some pics of the progress soon. :beer;:)

Brew,, if you want any paint work done maybe we can work a trade. P.m. me if your interested.

I was thinking about a turbo but do not want to lose my reliability..... I have seen way too many two smoke non fuel injected turbo sleds being choppered off the hill. I am going with Terra Alps 860 big bore kit over the summer. No...I will not have that BIG HP of a turbo but I am sure the 860 kit will put a smile on my face.

Does this reflash do anything for performance if there have never been any detonation codes on your sled. I just had mine at the shop to get the fuel gauge fixed and told them to reflash the ECM. They called and said my sled was done so I drove out to pick it up and the reflash wasn't done. The mechanic said it would do absolutely nothing for me being that there was no detonation codes ever on the sled. He said it's better to leave it how it is as long as I'm not detonating at all. Anyways I just took the sled home and am wondering if I should still get it done some time.

Good info here if you haven't seen it yet.

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150928

Does this reflash do anything for performance if there have never been any detonation codes on your sled. I just had mine at the shop to get the fuel gauge fixed and told them to reflash the ECM. They called and said my sled was done so I drove out to pick it up and the reflash wasn't done. The mechanic said it would do absolutely nothing for me being that there was no detonation codes ever on the sled. He said it's better to leave it how it is as long as I'm not detonating at all. Anyways I just took the sled home and am wondering if I should still get it done some time.

I am going to buy a new sled sometime before the snow flies. Right now I am looking at a 09 xp 154. I have found one for a decent price still in the crate. When I was talking to the dealer they were also trying to sell me on a pipe and a can.

So my question is how much performance would I gain from a SLP set-up? Would it be worth the extra cost? I am plannning on leaving the sled stock execpt for maybe some sweet graphics (which is where you get the real HP gains)

Thanks for the input

My recommendations would be #1--stock, ET thermostat housing, reflash the ECM and clutch it. #2--big bore and all the big bore requirments. #3--call me and turbo;).

Dave

I just finished pulling my sled all apart....sending the Split Second big bore out to someone else to actually make it have more horses than stock. What a waste that was last year.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Premium Features

Back