• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

XM track clicking noise

ROKRIG

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2012
Looks like there is a section in the Owner's Manual about adjusting the track properly.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
As I said and sledhead did too this is "normal" for this track. I don't tighten my track and it hasn't gotten worse or ratcheted at all. Don't tighten beyond specs, the noise won't go away it is just the sound of millions of snowflakes crying out in agony.:face-icon-small-hap

Yella Belly

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Yakima, WA
As I said and sledhead did too this is "normal" for this track. I don't tighten my track and it hasn't gotten worse or ratcheted at all. Don't tighten beyond specs, the noise won't go away it is just the sound of millions of snowflakes crying out in agony.:face-icon-small-hap

Put it up on the rack, and spin the track up. You will see the track clips banging on the curve of the rails. It's real easy to see, and hear on a stand. I agree the motor noise is covering it up under power, but if you sort of tune your ears, you can still hear it at a reasonable throttle position. I snugged mine up after the first ride, to where it looked like it should be, ( about a inch of sag on the rack static) and the ride yesterday, it sounded just the same. I'm thinking it's more noticeable as they put fewer clips on the track, which would make it more noticeable as a thump, or a click, as the frequency is less. If every clip were on, you would not hear it. Like a rock in your tire, if you stuffed a rock every half inch around your tire as opposed to every 3 inches. :light:

Yella'..

SledGuru

Lifetime Membership
May 9, 2008
WY 307

Why does mine make the noise and the other three I ride with doesn't ? Don't think its "normal"

sierra sleder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 20, 2008
Montana
I also have experienced this clicking sound on my '13 XM 163 track. I read the manuel and adjusted both the track tension and alignment to the correct specs and found that this resolved the clicking sound and got rid of any and all vibrations from track. With only a little over 100 miles on sled, good for now but will continue to monitor both my track and this thread to see how you all are making out on this issue.

Reactions: ROKRIG

ROKRIG

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2012
I also have experienced this clicking sound on my '13 XM 163 track. I read the manuel and adjusted both the track tension and alignment to the correct specs and found that this resolved the clicking sound and got rid of any and all vibrations from track. With only a little over 100 miles on sled, good for now but will continue to monitor both my track and this thread to see how you all are making out on this issue.

Good to know! Did you need one of those tension gauges to do this properly?

sierra sleder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 20, 2008
Montana
ROKRIG; Yes the SLP Tension tool. Its a handy unit for all tensioning needs. It took me two rides to get it diale in/to spec, becuase at first i just adjusted track tension took a ride and then performed alignment adjust. IMO the alignment is the key to the clicking.

ROKRIG

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2012
ROKRIG; Yes the SLP Tension tool. Its a handy unit for all tensioning needs. It took me two rides to get it diale in/to spec, becuase at first i just adjusted track tension took a ride and then performed alignment adjust. IMO the alignment is the key to the clicking.

Okay, I just ordered up the SLP Tension tool

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
Well after about 350 mountain miles, the clicking is still there. It is normal for these. How ever I do have some powder wedges from Tom's Snowmobile on order, should be here this week. They might help some, but I have them ordered for other reasons.

Last edited:

ROKRIG

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2012
I had the same clicking issue

Took her in for the 10 hour service .. they adjusted my track, clicking is gone but now I have a nasty vibration, I can totally feel it in my running boards

guess i'll make a call tomorrow :face-icon-small-con

Maybe the tension was adjusted but maybe the alignment is off.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
"Why does mine make the noise and the other three I ride with doesn't ? Don't think its "normal""
I can only hear the noise while riding. Have your ridden any of the other 3 sleds your are talking about?

Maybe we are talking about a diff noise but all 3 of our Ski Doos last year with the 2.5" Powder Maxx II were really noisy, both the XMs are making the same noise. Track is at proper tension. Nothing is wearing funny that I can see. So that is my definition of "normal". But you can fight it if you want.

R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.
Split front arm with one limiter strap.(not sure if they come with just one)(allowing the one rail to hit hard on the clips when not under load) Rear arm that pivots 2 degrees.(can allow the track to rub on the rear tunnel) A track that bends on the outside, and the paddles are not angled in.(possibly rubbing the tunnel or rivets)
I thought there was minimal room in the tunnel for the system they had, I am not surprised that something is rubbing or clicking. My XP did and it was a fixed suspension. What is it going to do when the suspension is getting worn out a little.
I am not bashing the system, hope it works and I will buy one next year. Just some thoughts that crossed my mind on a first year design.

Yella Belly

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Yakima, WA
Split front arm with one limiter strap.(not sure if they come with just one)(allowing the one rail to hit hard on the clips when not under load) Rear arm that pivots 2 degrees.(can allow the track to rub on the rear tunnel) A track that bends on the outside, and the paddles are not angled in.(possibly rubbing the tunnel or rivets)
I thought there was minimal room in the tunnel for the system they had, I am not surprised that something is rubbing or clicking. My XP did and it was a fixed suspension. What is it going to do when the suspension is getting worn out a little.
I am not bashing the system, hope it works and I will buy one next year. Just some thoughts that crossed my mind on a first year design.

Two straps on the 13s red eye.. FYI..

Yella'

Reactions: Red-eye
S
Dec 5, 2010
Sḵwxwú7mesh, BC
Maybe the tension was adjusted but maybe the alignment is off.

how do you check / set alignment ?

are you talking about the alignment of the drivers on the shaft vs the track ?

I took it to the dealer they said it's normal .. but it aint!! The vibration definitely got a lot more noticable after the service... though I think it may be an engine vibration as I can notice it at idle.. so much so it shakes the handlebar visibly .. definitely wasn't like this before

D

Duck farmer

Oct 25, 2012
I heard and felt this yesterday and got off to look a couple of times, but I didn't see anything obvious. Guess I 'll have to take a look for anything worn while it's in the shop this week. it may be normal as others have said.

this thread is kinda old so I tend to think it has cured itself.....I'll post after I find out somin!!

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007

there will likely be some issues arise as time goes on, I agree with the twist causing some negative effects

S

snengineer

Nov 26, 2007
South Jordan, Utah
This happens with all deep lug tracks. It is the driver nubs clicking on the track clips...happens when you are not on the gas...i.e coasting or going down hill. not a performance issue.

Premium Features