• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

WTF?!? Problem in secondary from a stupid little belt change

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
I've got a simple question. Is the belt just sunk down in the secondary? You do know that you have to spin the track to allow the belt to work it's way up in the sheaves so the clutch can close?

Ditto

Thats what it sounds like to me. They always do this.

Don't waste your time opening up the clutch with the bolt.

Just remove bolt and pull secondary off jackshaft.

When installing, put the belt on the secondary and put the clutch on the jackshaft. Then push the clutch hard with your right hand on the side towards the rear of the sled. The belt will suck down into the secondary and then spin the secondary till it slides all the way onto the jackshaft.

THIS IS WAY, WAY EASIER AND FASTER. THATS HOW I DO IT EVERY TIME.

White Rad

Premium Member
Nov 16, 2009
WA to B.C.
Hopefully the new moveable sheave bushings arnt to tight causing secondary to stick! If there is one thing a proclimb owner should learn its how to change belts:face-icon-small-sho

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
i changed SEVERAL and never had this issue, like stated above you have to spin the track to get it to climb back out of the secondary it wont just snap shut and push the belt out.

i always do as stated above, pull it right off the jackshaft! :)

-Aksnopro

E
Sep 5, 2008
Canada
Happened to me before as well. Just spin the track a bit and it closes right away.
Still shouldn't stick like that. Bad design? Incorrect tolerance? Something is not right.

B
Oct 13, 2012
S.E. SK
problem solved, i just threaded the bolt in, almost tight, lifted up the back, spun the track, and the clutch decompressed. Lowered the sled then torqued the bolt. Simple. I don't know why this never dawned on me... Now I know

Thanks for all your input guys

H

HOOCH256

Jan 5, 2008
Kalispell, MT
Haha what do I win since I was right???

Sent from my super duper sweet iPhone using Tapatalk when I should be doing something productive!

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Haha what do I win since I was right???

Sent from my super duper sweet iPhone using Tapatalk when I should be doing something productive!

Don't know, you should check to see what they give helpers at the special Olympics.

I am still baffled by the lack of, ......... never mind. Just try to think about it next time instead of running to help.

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
am I retarded, or just such a newbie. I just "practiced" changing a belt so I would have some knowledge of how to do it.
well it came off super easy, I just slid the secondary off.
i had nothing but problems getting the new belt on. how the hell do you do it? i tried just putting the secondary on and then wrapping the belt... no go. the manual says to flip the bushing and snug up the bolt to allow the sheaves to expand... i'm guessing to allow the belt to drop down. my bolt would not even grab the threads doing this.
then i tried wrapping the belt around the secondary and then putting it on the shaft... no go. i messed with this damn thing for 45 minutes. then I tried the belt on the secondary again and i just muscled it onto the shaft. finally got it to go.

THERE HAS TO BE A BETTER WAY!! WHAT AM I DOING WRONG??
HELP PLEASE, GIVE THIS NEWBIE SOME TIPS:face-icon-small-sad

I can't imagine doing this out in the snow....

H

HOOCH256

Jan 5, 2008
Kalispell, MT
Don't know, you should check to see what they give helpers at the special Olympics.

I am still baffled by the lack of, ......... never mind. Just try to think about it next time instead of running to help.

Haha funny guy

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
When you had the secondary off the shaft, did you spread the sheaves so the belt could drop down before sliding the clutch back onto the shaft?

no. how do you do this?
this is all new to me. last snowmobile I had was when I was 10, 26 years ago.
thanks for the help

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
no. how do you do this?
this is all new to me. last snowmobile I had was when I was 10, 26 years ago.
thanks for the help

in the tool kit there is a washer (big washer) you remove the adjuster from the bolt then slide the bolt through the washer and install, this will tighten the sheaves and open them so the belt will drop it.

I never pull the bolt I just push real hard on the helix and push down on the belt, it will spread the clutch and then the belt will hold it in place to get it on and off.

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
Here is a detailed video I found on youtube for some of you guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBelSjuS-Zk

make sure when you tighten the bolt the helix is lined up, if not it can break the plastic slides inside so be careful.

thank you, perfect. i knew there was something i was missing and there was correct way.

when you say make sure the helix is lined up when tightening the bolt... what does this mean? thanks again for answering the newbie questions:face-icon-small-hap

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
for you guys with stock clutching on the '13s, which springs do you have? what color and part # on the primary and the same for the secondary?

thanks

Premium Features