• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

WRP-XM Seat product development. Need your input asap

M

Marc WRP

Apr 27, 2009
www.wr-products.com
XM Riders.

WRP is deep into designing the new seats for the XM. I am tooling up for a -2" and a +2" seat utilizing the OEM seat base.

The oem seat base has a storage compartment that is pretty much useless in my opinion.

I have the option to simply make the seat 2" shorter or taller or I can add and improve integrated storage utilizing the OEM storage compartment. This will more that double the amount of seat storage and will have a zippered opening instead of the OEM plastic door.

So I guess my question is:

Do I add and improve the storage?

OR

Do I leave the storage how it currently is?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Marc WRP

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
Storage would be nice, but with the +2 I like how you're doing it now with the seat also being longer.

Tall means further back is better with longer legs.

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
And as just mentioned, wouldn't hurt to play around with narrow.

I've got your current 2+ and it's light years better for me, but did notice it's a little hard to hang the old butt off either side for aggressive trail riding.

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
I had the doo storage bag that attaches to the seat, but found that my boot would always catch on it when going from side to side. So sold it. Been thinking of trying the wrp Rasmussen seat.

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
i have used doo's set extension, and it is hard to beat the extra storage for $70. so in my opinion, i dont know if you could use "extra storage space" as a selling point for your seat (which it obviously going to cost more than $70.)

speaking for myself, i think the stock seat is plenty high. but if you were going to make a taller one, you may as well make more storage, and make sure it is waterproof storage (which would be a good selling point).

if you are going with a lower seat, i would spend too much time and money on redesigning the stock storage UNLESS you can:
1. make it larger
2. make it waterproof

i am an average 6 foot tall guy with an average income. the seat thats on these sleds is pretty decent. no matter what you come up with, i would have a hard time paying over $300 for a seat (only because the stock one seems to work well). price may be your best selling point with whichever design you decide to use

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I like the stock storage, I put the stock tool kit in there, pad it with a zippy bag full of emergency food/candy bars, and call it good. It also fits 3 small water bottles well. Storage is for backpacks and tunnel bags any more, in my opinion. (I rode my new XRS today that has a decent sized trunk, left it empty rather than trying to pack it full enough to keep things from rattling around.)
That being said, the XRS seat is SO much more comfy than the XM seat. Super narrow. Too tall for a mountain sled, but being narrow is better, allowed me to move around the sled better when standing, which is always good on a mountain rig.

mtnpull

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Heber City, Utah
www.uintarecreation.com
Marc, I think you already know how I feel.

But just as a reminder.

For the reasons why I would think a person is buying each seat

1. +2 should have the extra storage. IMO, this person is looking for greater comfort and would value the convenience of the extra storage.

2. -2 should keep the stock storage. I think the people buying the -2 will be those looking to improve overall ease of moving quickly from side to side of the machine while riding aggressively in the trees, etc. The extra storage may just get in the way of that.

I agree with just keeping the stock storage for the seat. I use it for odds and ends (garbage) that can get wet or have snow cause sometimes snow does get in there.

Myself I would like to see the -2 and narrow, specially in the front area where your knee crosses over, maybe even a bit lower in that area as well. Make sure the sides dont stick out wider then the tunnel at the bottom, thats annoying.

Maybe even a bit shorter in length at the back as well, like -2 kinda thing and definetlely not as wide at the back either. Maybe a tad stiffer foam if possible because when I cut my 13 XM seat down by 3" if you sat on it riding trails sometimes you could feel the tank.

Optional grippy or smooth seat cover, my preference is smooth so my legs slide over it easier.

2Thetopp

Lifetime Membership
I had the doo storage bag that attaches to the seat, but found that my boot would always catch on it when going from side to side. So sold it. Been thinking of trying the wrp Rasmussen seat.

And I thank you for the deal on that bag, I've found it very useful. Since you are in the developmental stage, how about a seat that includes an air bladder that gives you +2 for the ride out, once you get to the technical, deflate to -2. Then for the ride back, pump it up, crazy I know, :der: but you asked.

M

Marc WRP

Apr 27, 2009
www.wr-products.com
And I thank you for the deal on that bag, I've found it very useful. Since you are in the developmental stage, how about a seat that includes an air bladder that gives you +2 for the ride out, once you get to the technical, deflate to -2. Then for the ride back, pump it up, crazy I know, :der: but you asked.

Working on that in the background, have more testing to so still :face-icon-small-win

B
Sep 19, 2010
Utah/South Dakota
One of the first mods I did on my XP was to build an XM seat for it because I hated that breast hanging out the back of the seat to catch your toe on!
I use the little trunk to store incidentals that you need but don't often use, like tow straps and such. I mostly use it as a handy garbage receptacle.
I have yet to ride with anybody that does not use a backpack or tunnel bag? So. IMO, added storage to the back of the seat would just add another toe catcher.

M

mtn mike on boost

Nov 26, 2007
Woodinville,WA
I agree with just keeping the stock storage for the seat. I use it for odds and ends (garbage) that can get wet or have snow cause sometimes snow does get in there.

Myself I would like to see the -2 and narrow, specially in the front area where your knee crosses over, maybe even a bit lower in that area as well. Make sure the sides dont stick out wider then the tunnel at the bottom, thats annoying.

Maybe even a bit shorter in length at the back as well, like -2 kinda thing and definetlely not as wide at the back either. Maybe a tad stiffer foam if possible because when I cut my 13 XM seat down by 3" if you sat on it riding trails sometimes you could feel the tank.

Optional grippy or smooth seat cover, my preference is smooth so my legs slide over it easier.

x2 plz

M
Dec 27, 2010
Washington
I would like a bit taller with a big useable integrated rear bag. Something like the Boss seats have had. The Doo seat bag extension is too cheesy and tears off way to easy in the trees. I have the the Doo seat bag on that's strictly filled with my Poo repair tools freeing up other storage so a secure integrated bag there would be the ticket.

Last edited:
P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
2'' taller narower on top with watertight integrated storage so that you do not get hung up would be My vote.

Always had MM seats on my Yamahas with aditional storage build in now on the Doo I miss that.

Premium Features