• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Wolf Creek - 2020/2021

C
Mar 15, 2020
Anyone been to Wolf Creek in 2020 yet? Looking to make a first trip somewhere here in CO over Thanksgiving week. Any suggestions? If you don't want to share with others outside of CO, you can private message me. LOL

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Its the only place in the whole state that has any snow at all right now. But, it needs more bigtime after this week, I'll put it that way.

hamlin

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2013
It’s pretty tracked up. We can find untracked snow easy enough in the trees, just need to look for it. Was 30 some degrees today and the next four days are all in the thirties...

E
Jan 17, 2018
Heading to Wolf Creek this upcoming weekend with a group of intermediate riders. Does anyone have advice on where to park and some safer riding areas considering all the snow they are getting? Feel free to PM me as well.
Thank you!

S
May 2, 2013
Colorado
Just got back from down there.

Such thin conditions! Anything in the flats is good to go for fun. Trees are decent but sugary. DO NOT go into any steep alpine bowls that look filled in. They are death traps with a massive wind slab. We saw many recent avalanches that will be covered over. Those spots will just be a sheet of ice with new snow on them.

Plenty of fun to be had but you will see danger rating increase for a good reason.

JackSprat

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2010
Northern Calirado
Where to stay in Wolf Creek and Pagosa springs, any ride in ride out hotels, cabins, or lodges? Looking at 8 of us.

Last edited:

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
Not been to WC in prolly 10 yrs, but the Gunnison area is awfully low on snow...
So we may end up out there at least one day.

Now - it's been a long time since I've heard of this, but once upon a time I was told that there was a trail from WC to Chama, and it was maybe 60 miles long.
I'm not sure if I can find my Col TOPO anymore or not.

If I can talk my chum into taking an extra day to doo this, I'd like to get into Chama - just to say that I have sledded NM.

Can anyone direct me to the proper trail?

Does it possibly drop you into town so that you can gas up?
Or pack gas?

All the roads heading N into the bush from Chama seem to run out quickly.

???

S
May 2, 2013
Colorado
Try the COTrex website or app. National Forest isn't continued beyond Chama Basin TR so maybe FS121 beyond that to the south? Wilderness to the north so I'm not sure how you get through without going a long way around and that isn't continuous.

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
Try the COTrex website or app. National Forest isn't continued beyond Chama Basin TR so maybe FS121 beyond that to the south? Wilderness to the north so I'm not sure how you get through without going a long way around and that isn't continuous.

Thanks!

That got me a place to start!

Here are the pages that I used:

I don't have all the ins and outs figgered out, but it looks like if you take 60/345 S out of South Fork and then find your way over to 250, then you can drop down in.

Thanks!

If anyone has more info - that would be appreciated!

If not, It might be a good idea to hit it once with the ATV's and map it out once first, for the sake of gas, but web cams in Chama look like there is snow right into town, so a guy should be able to ride into town to fuel up.

I will see if I can't find my Col TOPO maps.

Last edited:
Premium Features