• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Why buy American?

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
BUY AMERICAN! IT IS THE RIGHT THING TO DO AND BY DOING SO, THE JOB YOU SAVE MAY WELL BE YOUR OWN! We are cutting our own throats by buying stuff made overseas.

A friend sent this to me and due to my recent post about sled gear and others I thought I'd share the insights provided. Feel free to add your two cents about why to buy American. And share products that are actually still "Made in America".

I live in a very small town (3000 people) 305 road miles from Anchorage, AK. Due to limited inventory and limited number of stores it is not easy to "buy American", but I try. We do get to the bigger cities in Alaska a few times a year, but even in the big cities it is not always easy to find American made products. Wal-mart has built several of the largest container ships ever. and they are building more of them. I'm don't remember how many containers they carry (13,000 maybe?). They are off loaded in half a day and head back EMPTY.
I was wrong, it carries 15,000 containers. Click on this U-tube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBQ7IA2RI2c and check it out for yourself. Wow, very interesting. Remember to vote on August 28th............

MADE IN AMERICA

Costco sells Goodyear wiper blades for almost half the price that you will pay on the outside and they are made in the U.S.A.
Read and do the following.

Unfortunately our politicians and top CEO's have pushed for trade to China and Mexico for years so Americans are now out of work. Did you know that there is no electric coffee maker made in the US and that the only kitchen appliances still made in the US, is Viking?
This information came from a report made by Diane Sawyer. Hopefully this has changed or will soon!!

I DIDN'T KNOW HALLMARK CARDS WERE MADE IN CHINA ! That is also why I don't buy cards at Hallmark anymore, They are made in China and are more expensive! I buy them at Dollar Tree - 50 cents each and made in USA

I have been looking at the blenders available on the Internet. Kitchen Aid is MADE IN the US. Top of my list already...

Yesterday I was in Wal Mart looking for a wastebasket. I found some made in China for $6.99. I didn't want to pay that much so I asked the lady if they had any others. She took me to another department and they had some at $2.50 made in USA . They are just as good. Same as a kitchen rug I needed. I had to look, but I found some made in the USA - what a concept! - and they were $3.00 cheaper.

We are being brainwashed to believe that everything that comes from China and Mexico is cheaper. Not so.

One Light Bulb at a Time..

I was in Lowe's the other day and just out of curiosity, I looked at the hose attachments. They were all made in China . The next day I was in Ace Hardware and just for the heck of it I checked the hose attachments there. They were made in USA .

Start looking, people . . ...In our current economic situation, every little thing we buy or do affects someone else - most often, their job.

My grandson likes Hershey's candy. I noticed, though, that it is now marked "made in Mexico ." I don't buy it anymore.

My favorite toothpaste Colgate is made in Mexico ...now I have switched to Crest.

You have to read the labels on everything.

This past weekend I was at Kroger . . . I needed 60W light bulbs and Bounce dryer sheets
I was in the light bulb aisle, and right next to the GE brand I normally buy -- was an off-brand labeled, "Everyday Value." I picked up both types of bulbs and compared them: they were the same except for the price . . .the GE bulbs cost more than the Everyday Value brand, but the thing that surprised me the most was that that GE was made in MEXICO and the Everyday Value brand was made in - you guessed it - the USA at a company in Cleveland, Ohio.

It's Way past time to start finding and buying products you use every day that are made right here.

So, on to the next aisle: Bounce Dryer Sheets... yep, you guessed it, Bounce cost more money and is made in Canada . The Everyday Value brand cost less, and was MADE IN THE USA! I did laundryyesterday and the dryer sheets performed just like the Bounce Free I have been using for years, at almost half the price.

My challenge to you is to start reading the labels when you shop for everyday things and see what you can find that is made in the USA - the job you save may be your own or your neighbor's!

If you accept the challenge, pass this on to others in your address book so we can all start buying American, one light bulb at a time!

Stop buying from overseas companies - you're sending the jobs there. (We should have awakened a decade ago....)

Let's get with the program and help our fellow Americans keep their jobs and create more jobs here in theUSA.
Support the products that are " Made in the USA "

I passed this on .. .. . will you?

P
Broke one of my NAPA sockets the other day. Took it in for warranty, the guy had a heck of a time because NAPA has changed to a new tool line, old part # entered for warranty was cheaper than the new tool to be issued. I think he was going to charge me the difference, Was getting ready to voice my displeasure of this situation when another counterman stepped in an made an "adjustment" to the price of the old socket and sent me out the door in a better mood till I got to the shop and looked at the plastic thingy the socket comes with to hold it on the racks..
Guess what NAPA tools are no longer made in the USA. Flatout Peeved me off. I'll take the broken ones in for warranty but will no longer buy any new ones from them, especially since now they are "more expensive" This is B.S.

BLITZKRIEG

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2011
MT
People are stupid!

Im a union worker, here is my rant:

While having lunch with my fellow union employees the conversation topic was "lost jobs/industry in the US." They blamed government & big business for the jobs lost.

Five minutes later the topic was guns, most of them had rushed out and bought the new Springfield XD pistols.

This is the point when I spoke up, XD pistols are made in Croatia, not the US! So instead of supporting American "union" workers by buying American made guns, they went for the cheaper Croatian made guns. HELLO PULL YOUR HEADS OUT OF YOU A@@!

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
If people put their money were their mouth was, this country would be a lot different.

mold

Lifetime Membership
Nov 17, 2009
Lead, SD & Idaho Falls, ID
I buy American whenever I can but will be damned if I will buy an inferior product just to say I bought American. At times however, I have thought it would be better to help a starving worker out in Bangladesh than support the US Union greed.

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
My coworker was showing me his benchmade poket knife the other day. Made in USA for $170.00 !!! for a pocket knife! thats crazy I cant afford to buy American.

Same guy loves wildly overpriced snap-on tools

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Ya know, I really did try to buy american whenever possible ..

Then I buy a new truck from an american automaker and find out the damned truck was built in mexico.

Obviously I'd prefer to "buy american" but its pretty well at the point its absolutley impossible these days.

I can't think of a SINGLE sled gear maker that doesn't have all their clothing and gear made in China. There isn't a single electronic component in the world that goes in a consumer vehicle that isn't made in china or Thailand or somewhere.

Its a lost cause.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Ya know, I really did try to buy american whenever possible ..

Then I buy a new truck from an american automaker and find out the damned truck was built in mexico.

Obviously I'd prefer to "buy american" but its pretty well at the point its absolutley impossible these days.

I can't think of a SINGLE sled gear maker that doesn't have all their clothing and gear made in China. There isn't a single electronic component in the world that goes in a consumer vehicle that isn't made in china or Thailand or somewhere.

Its a lost cause.

If I recall correctly you can tell where the truck was made just by looking at the very first number in the VIN code...

1,4,5 - USA
2 - Canada
3 - Mexico

Both of my trucks were made in the Kentucky Truck Plant here in the U.S.A.:face-icon-small-hap

Both begin: 1FT......

USA built, Ford, Truck

:beer;

One of my former co-workers bought a brand new dodge back in 06 and I think it was also made in Mexico:(

Premium Features