• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

who fixes trailers around here????????

M

m7162

Oct 17, 2008
wasilla
have some lighting issues who can i take it to to get my two place rewired??? any one know of any good places???? thanks mike

A
Dec 11, 2007
Seward
Basic trailer wiring 101
1) Make sure that the wires are intact & not broken or exposed causing a ground problem
2) Check that the bulbs are good
3) The light fixtures might need secondary grounding to trailer
4) The trailer usually grounds to the vehicle thru the ball & hitch

T

Theron

Dec 10, 2007
Anchorage
profile.myspace.com
You can get a wiring harness from Trailercraft for around 25 dollars and do it yourself. Its not that hard. You should be able to see what colors go where by changing the existing wires with new one by one. They also have the light pods. Not sure if they will wire it for you but call and ask.

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Hey Mike,
Save your self alot of headaches and just buy a kit and run all new wire and lights. Shouldn't take more than an hour to yank and replace it all. Sure beats trying to chase down the bad wires, and then they come back again to haunt to you again later. Just replace them every 2-3 years and they always work. The kits are cheap!

A
Dec 11, 2007
Seward
No question replacing the harness is the easiest way to go. Depending on how the lights are mounted they need to be replaced on the same schedule, every couple of years.

M

m7162

Oct 17, 2008
wasilla
thanks for all the info the trailer itself was cheap and its kinda rusten away i did buy the kit and tried it out kinda was a pain but im shur the single grounds on the lights them selfs are the problem thats what u get when u pay 300 for a trailer thanks

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
I agree, always replace the wires when you have problems. The more splices you have the more problems you will have. Here are a few things that I do.
1. Make sure you run good grounds to every light. This means grinding a bare spot of steel on the frame where you put your self tapping screw.
2. Always cover this bare spot of steel & screw with liquid Electric tape (comes in a small can at Shucks, Wal-Mart, NAPA). http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Liquid_Tape_-_Electrical_Insulation
3. Spend $20 extra for the LED kit! The lights wont burn out as fast or easy (Alaska frost heaves, pot holes etc are hard on trailer lights).
4. I use this rule of thumb to remember what wire goes where (4 way only).
-Yellow wire- When your driving Yellow stripe on center line of road, so this would be your left turn.
-Green wire- Green grass on the right side of the road, so this is your right turn.
-Brown is always your running lights
-White is always your ground......Remember this is only on 4 wire systems.
5. Never use cheap connectors! Always use butt (Stop laughing:rolleyes:) connectors with heat shrink ends. This will keep your connections clean & dry.
6. Zip tie everything up tight to the frame when you can. If your wires hang down the ice will hang off of them going down the road & brake your connections.
Good luck.

Last edited:

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
thanks for all the info the trailer itself was cheap and its kinda rusten away

You might be able to save the trailer frame if it isn't to far gone (rusted). Take it in your garage for a few days to thaw out completely then knock off all loose rust you can with a wire wheel on a grinder. Check all the welds for brakes & cracks. Then coat the frame with POR-15. http://www.por15.com/ This stuff is so easy to put on....A Ice man (to cold up here for Cave men) could do it. This stuff is incredible, and one of the few products out there that does what it says it will do.
If the frame is too rusted, do yourself a favor and junk it before you loose your sleds and everything else you tow with it.

Last edited:
M

m7162

Oct 17, 2008
wasilla
right on ill give it a try i leave the day after xmas to the sloap so ill try it after i gt back thanks a bunch

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
brown and white are easy for me to remember. Be dealing with trailer wiring for way too many years. It's the yellow(left) and green (right) that always would get me until someone pointed out that the greenies are always right!!! I have never forgot this:mad::D

Premium Features