• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

which clutch kit?

X
Dec 19, 2007
n. id
looking for actual owner opinons on clutch kits from DJ and Roosterbuilt. Buying one just not sure which. would like to hear the pros and cons of each kit. Please send any real cons by PM i don't want to start a bash fest. I boondock N. Idaho from 3500ft-6500ft.

Oct 14, 2008
Eureka, Montana
Me too!

I'm haveing the same problem! Like the flexibility of the Shockwave in Roosterbuilts kit, but it is also one more thing to have to adjust. and i've heard DJ's 08 and 09 kits are spot on. Give us some help, who's used them????

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I'm haveing the same problem! Like the flexibility of the Shockwave in Roosterbuilts kit, but it is also one more thing to have to adjust. and i've heard DJ's 08 and 09 kits are spot on. Give us some help, who's used them????

ummm.....we don't use the Shockwave in our setup. We have our own helix cut by Dalton.

Oct 14, 2008
Eureka, Montana
ooooop's

Sorry winterbrew, i was misinformed!! That actually helps a ton as i've heard nothing but outstanding reviews on your set-up! I'll be giving you a call real soon!!!

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Not a problem. We do offer the Shockwave, they have their place in some applications. We are excited for this season, will be "tweeking" or setup for the growing 860-880 crowd, as well as the guys running 174's. :beer;

Oct 14, 2008
Eureka, Montana
Set up help

Winterbrew, with your set-up do you give us a guidline of where to start at for pin wieght after you know our particulars? 2 of us want your kit, both about 210 pounds on 09 163's geared at 19 rinding from 6000 here to 10,000 in Cooke. What clicker to like to see your users run?
Thanks!

Last edited:

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I can usually nail the pin weight with enough info, clickers 3-4 are where I like to see our setup run, with 20T top gear on 163's.

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com

Most of my clutch kits can get dialed in right off the get-go.
A certain percentage need the flyweight changed up or down after a day or two of riding.
Some of my kits require a different primary spring, one with a higher or lower final force.

The 07 rev & 08 xp model if using stock 415/413 ramps you would change the clicker from road to snow to maximize mileage on the road and correct rpms in the snow.
I made ramps for the 07/08 model to compensate for this so one would not have to change clickers. In addition, my ramps make quicker rpms off the bottom end than the 413, a tighter connection between the throttle and snow.

The 09~10 model you don't have to change clicker between road and snow.

For the curious about a clutch kit and for the owners of a clutch kit old or new and regardless of which vendor you buy a clutch kit from, here is a reality check;
There are some sleds that are exceptions to where the kit had difficulty to work and what causes this? I have had owners install the wrong primary spring, lose the secondary swivel washers, put their levers in backwards,

Cotter pins installed with tangs bent in wrong direction(catches on the spring cup and can break a tang upon 1st time clutch engages), cotter pins installed backwards(catches on the spring cup and can break a tang upon 1st time clutch engages)

Bad primary spring cover bushing(can happen while stock), tapered sliding sheave button galley(can happen while stock), secondary rollers scraping the sheave casing(can happen while stock), cracked secondary rollers(can happen while stock), seized secondary rollers(can happen while stock),

wrong ramps(dealer changes from 413 to 412 or 417 without informing owner), wrong levers -

I haven't scratched the surface because I can go on a tirade mentioning engine management problems (raves/kinked hoses / fouled solenoids / low compression / wrong spark plugs(weak power) / low battery voltage = low rpms / rubbed through wires(can happen while stock) unadjusted throttle (from factory)

I'll say one little basturd of a problem is the voltage reg wire that gets rubbed through on a tunnel rivet. Had owners get new ecu's and could not get the clutch kit to work and even back to stock and still the power of a 440 at elevations.

...anyway, the clutch kits normally work great, however if the customer has a problem, I try my best to help figure it out and come up with a remedy.

Last edited:

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Good info Joe!
Another thing for those doing their own install, the roll pins in the ramps need to be correctly oriented so they don't bind when changing clicker position/ramp angle.
And....belt condition. New belts drop 2-3-400RPM compared to the same belt after 100-150 miles. This has had guys chasing their tail and wondering where the RPM went.

X

XP Summit

Nov 26, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I share a vote for Joey :beer;:beer;

His clutching was spot on for my 08 146. I couldn't be happier!!! and the best part is all the knowledge he shares!!

Joey are there any disadvantages of going to the new ramps on the 08?

Cheers
Shawn

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
Joe did I tell you about the dealer finding the unadjusted throttle linkage? But here is what has happened after that. I went for a ride not changing any clutching yet so I was running your kit but still with 11g of weight expecting it to hit the rev limiter real easy and sure enough it did NOT, even in clicker 4 in spring conditions and it still dropped 200-300 rpm's on a long pull. So I'ze bummed about that and then later in the day we stop for a break and when we get ready to leave it wont start. So we start checking everything to find no spark on either plug. So about 2-1/2 hours later we are banging on the ECM and it finally sputters. So 30 minutes of doing that as I pull the rope it finally fires and I did make it home. I am going to take it back to the dealer again but Im looking into what action I want to take with the dealer because im pissed. just wanted to keep you informed.
thanks

Call this excellent skidoo mechanic and ask him if your problem could be from "the wire loom rubbing on the rivet head"
http://xxxxxxsportsonline.com/
xxx.xxx.xxxx
His name is "scuba steve" and ask for scuba steve so they know which steve to get. He is the head mechanic at XX's and super knowledgeable about the xp 800's.
Steve will tell you over the phone where to look and there is a service bulletin on it.

hey joe,
I did find that wire was wearing through and they had to also replace the ECM but I told doo I didn't want the sled back as I have lost all faith in it and long story short they finally came back with an offer of $750 to shut me up so I'm going after them with the lemon law and we'll see what my attorney gets out of them. Thanks again for all the help and maybe I will be ordering a 2010 kit.
thanks
----------------------------------
-Ok so what is written above is actual email correspondence. This is a rare example however it has happened with my customers a few times now in 2008 and 2009 xp 800 summit and trail models.

How the heck do you find out about this?...it literally took the sacrifice of at least one BRP customer with the engine and wiring harness being completely removed from the sled, the mechanics to go over and find out what the heck is the cause.
I think of what the first guy with this problem missing most of the winter because of the labor and downtime involved from start to finish and being able to ride again - Lucky that he had a good dealer/mechanic to actually go through this sled, unfortunately the problem got that bad that nobody could figure it out without complete removal of all hardware.
-----------------------------------------
@ Shawn
The 07 rev & 08 xp model if using stock 415/413 ramps you would change the clicker from road to snow to maximize mileage on the road and correct rpms in the snow.
I made ramps for the 07/08 model to compensate for this so one would not have to change clickers. In addition, my ramps make quicker rpms off the bottom end than the 413, a tighter connection between the throttle and snow.

Its seems to be a fun ramp to play with, have had some guys lower the engagement even more with the 130/350 getting a full 200 rpms lower down to 3500~3600 and still can crack 8300 rpms upon demand.
The big thing about this ramp is that you can haul the mail at high speeds down the road and won't hit the rev limiter - Doing 50 mph down a road beside your buddy and crack the throttle, hang on!

The stock 413 ramp angle is higher and creates rpms so you will eventually hit the rev limiter unless you lower the clicker to get the clutches to pull harder.

thanks
Joey

Last edited:
W
Nov 26, 2007
Powville, WA and BC
I have not tried DJ's setup in my sled's but have ridden with and have rode sleds with DJ's kit. As I am thinking about it, I have ridden with a lot of XP's with a number of well known clutch kits in them. I think the DJ kit's are a step up from stock and a good clutch kit. But, for my money when it comes to a clutch set-up for mountain riding I will be sticking with my Rooster Built kit.

Comparisons are very subjective. I will tell you this, when it comes to getting through the deep snow and putting a mark on the hill, I have not seen any stock motored XP's work as good as a RB clutched ones.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2008
Eureka, Montana
Thanks

Very good to know Whiz-Bang i've heard good things about both too, but i've also heard for the really deep stuff like we have here the RB kit pulls a touch harder. I'm going to quit debating it and throw in a RB kit and ride it like it was stolen!

Y
Nov 26, 2007
north bend, wa
What a difference good clutching make!! Winter Brew(Rooster built) worked on my stuff at the end of the year and holy!! Did it make a huge difference!! I'll be looking forward to more tweaks this coming season!!

S

speeddemon

Feb 27, 2006
buckley wa
doin a RB kit in my XP this season ! rode and seen them in action was very impressed ! worked amazing ! cant wait for the snow 2 fly !
mike:D

Premium Features