• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

what is allowable crank runout?

What is allowable runout in middle of pto end? thanks.
should I measure runout on the fixed sheave of the primary when I put it on also?

Last edited:
.003 is OK, more than that and it's about to come apart. Check on crank end without the clutch on it. About half an inch from the end. Don't worry about measureing the clutch.

.003 is OK, more than that and it's about to come apart. Check on crank end without the clutch on it. About half an inch from the end. Don't worry about measureing the clutch.
Some say to measure it at the end, I think Indy Dan recommends checking it as close to the case as possible. The most important thing is to make sure that your dial indicator is solidly mountedto the block. This is the hard part... I used a mag base indicator and put it on my SLP torque arm as it was about the only place I could get it in and have it be able to reach the crank, and just pulling the starter handle out until I got resistance in the rope would wiggle the needle on the indicator.

After I replaced my broken crank I checked the runout on the crank AND on the fixed sheave....That way I can check it after every ride without pulling the clutch (I wouldn't want to be pulling off a primary 100 times a season)

Some say to measure it at the end, I think Indy Dan recommends checking it as close to the case as possible. The most important thing is to make sure that your dial indicator is solidly mountedto the block. This is the hard part... I used a mag base indicator and put it on my SLP torque arm as it was about the only place I could get it in and have it be able to reach the crank, and just pulling the starter handle out until I got resistance in the rope would wiggle the needle on the indicator.

Cowboy, I check it right where the clutch sits.

Where the clutch sits??

I stand under Dan. I've read so many stinkin' threads on this I can't remember who recommends what anymore.

The clutch takes up the complete stub shaft. Or do you mean where the belt sits?

Premium Features

Back