• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What GTX turbo for race gas M8

Would the 2867 offer better bottom end(off boost) than the 2863?
Because the 67 offering more air...

And with the same hot side setup, spool up time would be minimally different if even noticable at all?

Would the 2867 offer better bottom end(off boost) than the 2863?
Because the 67 offering more air...

And with the same hot side setup, spool up time would be minimally different if even noticable at all?

I purchased my 2876 on the concept of having more "off boost" airflow to feed the engine. It may be quicker to peak boost but it seems to be slower to initial boost. That difference matters if your in the trees or prefer peak power...

If the 2860 and 2871 have the same hot side would spool up be minimally different??? Its all a give and take I still think the smaller is quicker to initial boost which has its place for boondockers...
People like burandt and skinner who prefer the smaller turbos for their type of riding would see a benefit from the gtx2863 compared to the gt2860. The Gtx wheel it self has a much better pressure ratio capability and when your at their altitude that's where the GTX can provide the additional airflow where as the gt would be working it self to death... Having the higher flowing compressor wheel of the gtx you can think of it as having:
1. With the same inducer size you will make more hp with similar boost response (If they had a GTX2871 vs GT2871)
2. With a smaller exducer you can make the same power but with better boost response; GT2871R vs GTX2863/67R

Then its down to the smaller vs larger compressor housing offering more flow for off boost situations. Just think we wont know for sure till we swap turbos on the same sled during the same day...

Yes the GTX is their way of competing with the HTA versions. The GTX just has longer lungs compared to the Gt. For example the 2860 on the Yamahaulers would max out at 16-18. A comparable 2863 can handle much higher pressure ratios and can flow "almost" as much as a 71 on the top end, yet keep the 60 response. While it gains efficiency and you would get a slight bump in HP per pound of boost the main benefit in this scenario would be the ability to get rid of the choke point in the turbo sizing and keep turning it up.
2863 has the response of the 60 with "similar" flow to the 2871.
2867 has better response than the 2871 but more flow.

And then there is the other side of the debate of the much larger sizing "76" being able to breath better than the others on the bottom end leading to better spool... For my next project I would choose the 2867. I think the 2871 is the best all round setup for boondocking and general climbing. And if the 2867 is slightly better than that sounds like fun :bounce:

*A proper water to air setup would add more power and consistency than swapping the turbo and running the exact same psi. Keep in mind Neil's GTX2863 Water/Air Pro at 8psi being the one to beat... The 2860 wouldn't have the lungs to deliver the air on the top end with the water to air setup, it would be working too hard... GTX can bridge that gap. :whoo:

So my M8 with the closed loop water to air, a GTX 2867 and a boos-it box should haul the mail...:face-icon-small-coo

If you have the guts to hold the flipper down and hang on!!!!! Sounds like a Sick set up! Post up some pics.....

If you have the guts to hold the flipper down and hang on!!!!! Sounds like a Sick set up! Post up some pics.....

when she is all done I will, right now I am running a 2871, closed loop water to air, and PL box. hoping to upgrade the turbo and fuel system before the end of the year :face-icon-small-win

ill have my new 2867 on the snow this weekend on my 2010 m8... I know guys like them on the Polaris so Im hoping to see an improvement on the cat as well.... I ll let ya know if there is a difference between the 2871 and 2867 on the Cat after the ride... Keep fingers crossed.....

Any updates on the 2867?

Last edited:
First I had the 2876 on my Twisted turbo, but it ran better with the 2871-2

the bigger turbo 2871 puts out more HP at a lower boost than my previous turbo , the boonie 2860. ex. I was getting 200 Hp at 8 lbs on the 2860, my 2871 is putting out 200 Hp at like 6 lbs. currently running 10 psi with 100LL putting out about 250 HP. the 2871 put out more low end torque than the 2876, but the 2876 had a wicked WOT

Skinner and Burandt were running the 2863's last year, and went back to 2860's from what I read.

I would guess they went with the GTX2860... I talked to a guy on the mountain a couple weeks ago that had a BD Pro built by VOHK that claimed it was running GTX2860. It ripped, sounded very responsive

Last edited:
I would guess they went with the GTX2860... I talked to a guy on the mountain a couple weeks ago that had a BD Pro built by VOHK that claimed it was running GTX2860. I ripped, sounded very responsive

Don't think they make a GTX 2860

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How much difference will the different sized turbos make on fuel requirements at the same boost levels? Ex 10lbs with 2860 straight av gas, what does 10lbs with a 2871 need or is it the same? New to this game so just trying to learn.

Premium Features

Back